Let's see, what can I powdercoat today? | Page 79 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Let's see, what can I powdercoat today?

nissan wiper 1.jpg
nissan wiper 2.jpg
nissan wiper 3.jpg
I have been practicing with my powdercoating system. So, today I thought I'd coat the wipers on my Wife's Nissan--might as well hit the ones on the Mounty also--

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Damn those plates are sexy.

we have some 15 year old Delta bathroom fixtures, in chrome. A bath fill with diverter, shower head and 2 body sprays, along with a shower control and 2 body sprays. Monitor 1800 series.

Being tired of the chrome I found they sell refacing kits. Ok, just enough to do the delta stuff was 867.00 plus shipping. Me being cheap and all,

I mixed up some powders, was happy with the result so I went for it. Here's a before and an after. Another shot of the stainless steel grab bars in same color, before and after

001.JPG

005.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

Look great!

Nicely done. Id like to PC some items under the hood eventually to dress it up.

Great work!

Beautiful, super finishes on all of those.

Looks like you know a really good powder coating shop....

:chug:

Thanks guys.
Funny how a wife can say " go ahead and buy that silly shower stuff for a grand" but when i say i need a set of coilovers and brackets, she says " you don't
need to go anywhere so why do you need those?" and as far as she's concerned I still don't need to go anywhere. go figure.

Whoa whoa whoa. Don’t get crazy. You can’t equate the two. (She might be watching shhhhhhhh).in all seriousness though, you should get with a builder, remodeled, or flipper, if that stuff wasn’t a pain in the ass to do.

Funny how a wife can say " go ahead and buy that silly shower stuff for a grand" but when i say i need a set of coilovers and brackets, she says " you don't
need to go anywhere so why do you need those?" and as far as she's concerned I still don't need to go anywhere. go figure.

Thanks! I'm not alone...

I want to buy race car parts and hear the old "We can't Afford That" communist party line.

But the bosslady can go out and buy a Vera Bradley purse because "Everyone Has Seen The One I Have"...

Not including removal from the wall, which was a bit of a hassle because it was to be saved, there is about 10 hours total in that. I used some clr and hand scrubbed all the calcium off before blasting, heat dried, blasted and then 2 batches through the oven 2 times for clear. The whole process was way longer though because I had to walk away at times-

That gets hot doesn't it, headaches yes?

Made from broken, thrown away stuff. All powdercoat.

Chrome base
sour apple, shocker yellow, tiny bit of intense blue, sultan green, indy orange , Wet black mixed with liquid to powder for eye pupils( has to be air dried 12 hrs before heat cure) ,
clear with blue pearl added. About 10 trips thru oven and cool cycles.

No tape, all fade was done with blowgun, vacuum, swabs and finger wipe.
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

And, I sold it for 125 bux!

Nice! I have been noticing numerous Praying Mantis where my warehouse is. See maybe two different ones weekly.

Nice! I have been noticing numerous Praying Mantis where my warehouse is. See maybe two different ones weekly.

They are a very cool bug, but not when they try to get my hummingbirds. I relocate at least one mantis every day from the feeders back to the garden or bushes.

I have seen a mantis take a hummer to the ground with my own eyes. Lucky for the bird, the impact released it's grips and the hummingbird flew away.

shortly after I found a dead hummingbird with it's head eaten off. Youtube has a lot of videos.

I took these just now, for example. It's like they are trained to get onto the dowel rod.

001.JPG
002.JPG

I built a jig to hold thermal mugs-tumblers etc.
I used an old, been through the dishwasher 100 times mug, the mask decal was at least 8 years old , not high temp. There are some mistakes here, but, you get the idea.
Going for some explorer forum style decals for masking, if there is any interest. The stainless mugs all perform great regardless of brand.

Here I used the same color as my truck's bumpers. Black Lava, with candy red top coat. Mask was pulled when base color was in cure stage.

006.JPG

what do you think the cost per mug before shipping would be, and what colours would you do?

I want to offer mugs for 30.00 or less depending on a bulk cost. 30 oz are around 11-12 dollars but I am looking for a bulk deal.

As for colors, any color you want. My powder source advertises over 6500 colors. I have about 100 or so of them on hand.

On a side note, I had an unpleasant surprise happen during experimenting.

I laid a fade coat of misty blue on a cup, ( fading to no coating at bottom) and used a corkey pink top coat on it in an attempt to get a pink to purple fade. I took for granted that a transparent pink applied over blue would be purple. Anyone would think that, right?

Light reflection is a weird thing. Color is perceived by what makes it back to your eyes.

but, how in the hell does pink over blue end up to be basketball orange? I can't even get my head around that. But that is exactly what happened.

In retrospect, you can see purple thru the orange in sunlight, but the camera will not capture it well.

001.JPG

Prismatic sells what they call " 2 coat kits" and with just a few colors on hand you can hit hundreds shades. Some of the base and top coat combinations are mind boggling.

here is just one of their videos, each kit is based on the top coat color, this time it is called "peeka blue transparent"

his one is lollypop red transparent

This one is shocker yellow transpparent

as you can see the results are not always what you'd think they would be.

Check out all the colors the top coat can hit depending on the base-

Back