What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 73 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

IMG_20180415_115939.jpg
IMG_20180415_124110.jpg

Power Stop brake upgrade is complete! I love the red, and the improvement in stopping over the worn out standard duty brakes I had.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just finished up my latest mods today. I know there are a lot of people that will disagree with my taste but so far I’m happy with the results. First, I painted and tinted my tail lights to match the car. Second, I painted my front license plate holder to match the car (originally I was not running a front plate). Third, I tinted license plate covers to match the car with the front plate cover darker than the rear.

06F4099B-8514-43C1-9CA0-04B3E5A9424F.jpeg

7B46706A-168E-478A-9FE4-01EF82AD8561.jpeg

E79C557A-AAD1-4D36-B6D3-F1F743505644.jpeg

D4BBCAAD-3EC2-4770-8221-3230F6A42E0C.jpeg

E7245E78-1485-4479-AAC3-D5B00B6A7FED.jpeg

FEE3651B-E628-47AC-A209-CFB7598E25F7.jpeg

29FE8882-12A1-4439-998D-CBCD3E0E4707.jpeg

4BE0AEED-0F16-4332-9C01-80FB338F4A88.jpeg

I just finished up my latest mods today. I know there are a lot of people that will disagree with my taste but so far I’m happy with the results. First, I painted and tinted my tail lights to match the car. Second, I painted my front license plate holder to match the car (originally I was not running a front plate). Third, I tinted license plate covers to match the car with the front plate cover darker than the rear.

Aren't there reflectors built in to the tail lights? Reflectors that are required, by law?

I don’t know what the requirements are on that. I almost left the side reflectors tinted where you could see them like the brake and turn signal that I left but decided that surely the lights on the side of the tail lights would work for me. I could always go back and redo just that part later if I need to.

I don’t know what the requirements are on that. I almost left the side reflectors tinted where you could see them like the brake and turn signal that I left but decided that surely the lights on the side of the tail lights would work for me. I could always go back and redo just that part later if I need to.

I like the painted taillights! They look very clean and continuing the black just adds to the clean look. When I first got my Sport I gave some thought about blacking out the taillights.......... but I must be getting older and decided against it since I spend enough time talking to the police already.

The purple accent I will fallow my Mom's advice "if you can't say anything nice don't say it".

.......The purple accent I will fallow my Mom's advice "if you can't say anything nice don't say it".
They are "unique" Don.:)

Peter

At this point I guess I will take my chances. It would probably take me about 2 hours to make the small reflector area see through so maybe in another month or two I will revisit them.

The purple accent I will fallow my Mom's advice "if you can't say anything nice don't say it".[/QUOTE]

As far as the purple goes, I like to make our vehicles stand out from all the others just like it at Walmart. It’s my wife’s favorite color so I opted to go with it since it’s the vehicle she normally drives. She is not a fan of the future wheels I have planned for it though.

How did you color match the black plastic trim around the bottom? Wrap or paint? Can't tell if thats stock ruby red or if all the red is a wrap

I had all chrome pained matte black.
All black plastic painted same color as vehicle.
Roof painted in high gloss black together with center hood.
Not a big fan of wrap...

I had all chrome pained matte black.
All black plastic painted same color as vehicle.
Roof painted in high gloss black together with center hood.
Not a big fan of wrap...
Without pictures, it didn't happen.:D

Peter

I believe his photos are on the prior page.
Whoops, my mistake. Too much going on trying catch up. Had a 2 day power outage due to an other ice storm although not as bad as in 1998 when it was out for 10 days. Thanks for the info.

Peter

Thanks for suggesting Adams product, would you please suggest me a quality car waxing kit under $50 and cleaning video tutorial. Thanks

Hi Eric, this is my "go to" product list but like any gear head I have a ton of other polishes and waxes on the shelf. I still like the 3M produces the best, all my paint work is done with a machine polisher/buffer with foam pads. I don't think the brand of product means that much, it's more about the time you spend on surface prep. Right now the Sport is being wet sanded to get rid of all the factory orange peel, I'm hoping to get a glass smooth surface and a higher shine.

Adams.com has many informative videos on paint care, of course they only talk about their products but the basics apply to any products.
image1.jpeg.jpg

Added Weathertech mud flaps to my Ex yesterday! Those little plastic pins and screws are a pain in the butt! Oh and for the rear you need a very odd socket bit to remove the bolts, 5.5mm. Local autoshop just let me borrow theirs since I had everything except the one I needed.

Added Weathertech mud flaps to my Ex yesterday! Those little plastic pins and screws are a pain in the butt! Oh and for the rear you need a very odd socket bit to remove the bolts, 5.5mm. Local autoshop just let me borrow theirs since I had everything except the one I needed.

Agreed!! Those screw-plastic-whatevers are the worst invention ever! I had such a hard time with such a simple task, and I even had the tool for the job. For anyone else doing it, for the ones that refuse coming out by unscrewing (even with the right tool), I just pulled them out by the screw by force, works fine and won't damage the hole or the screw-thing. For those afraid of doing that, it's easier to buy a set of them on Ebay and then just cut them off and use new ones together with the flaps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those PowerStops look ok, but they're so tiny. Maybe with OEM wheels, it won't look as lost?

Is there a BBK for the Explorer? Definitely a better option for aftermarket wheels.

Back