What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 74 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Those PowerStops look ok, but they're so tiny. Maybe with OEM wheels, it won't look as lost?

Is there a BBK for the Explorer? Definitely a better option for aftermarket wheels.

He's only got 20s on it, which are an OEM size. They do fill my 18s nicely.

Some other angles of my PowerStop Brake Kit install.
View attachment 157886

IMG_20180421_122046.jpg

After a week, I was surprised by how much brake dust was on the caliper. I hope it's just break-in. This was after I wiped it off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What pads did you put on? I got the Z23s, but they look very different.

The ones that came with the kit. I actually ordered them from autoanything.com. These are the images of what i bought. Power Stop Z23 Evolution Brake Kits for Flex KC558. Is that different from yours? It came with powder-coated calipers and my guys used those.

power_stop_z23_evolution_brake_pads_feature_1.gif
power_stop_z23_evolution_brake_pads_feature_2.jpg
powerstop_brake_pad_shim_layers.jpg
powerstop_z23_evolution_brake_pads_new_hero10483.jpg

Those PowerStops look ok, but they're so tiny. Maybe with OEM wheels, it won't look as lost?

Is there a BBK for the Explorer? Definitely a better option for aftermarket wheels.

They're slightly smaller than the OEM's for sure. As for a black ceramic, there wasn't any for the Explorer that I could find. A agree that black would have looked cool but I like that these stand out. Highlights my Velgen VMB6 Wheels when the ride is clean.

The ones that came with the kit. I actually ordered them from autoanything.com. These are the images of what i bought. Power Stop Z23 Evolution Brake Kits for Flex KC558. Is that different from yours? It came with powder-coated calipers and my guys used those.

View attachment 157951 View attachment 157952 View attachment 157953 View attachment 157954

Wait, you got the 5584? Not the 6375? I hate to tell you, but those are the smaller, "standard duty" brakes, as in the ones that were originally on the 2011-13 XLTs. The 6375 is the "heavy duty", i.e. Sport, PIU, and 13+ brakes. I just upgraded from the smaller to the larger. Yours should not be smaller than your OEM! :eek:

Look at the differences in our front calipers, pads and rotors, and how much of the brake shield you can see on your fronts vs mine. The rears are really close, so the shields are the same size, but I had to put the larger shields on the front.

Wait, you got the 5584? Not the 6375? I hate to tell you, but those are the smaller, "standard duty" brakes, as in the ones that were originally on the 2011-13 XLTs. The 6375 is the "heavy duty", i.e. Sport, PIU, and 13+ brakes. I just upgraded from the smaller to the larger. Yours should not be smaller than your OEM! :eek:

Look at the differences in our front calipers, pads and rotors, and how much of the brake shield you can see on your fronts vs mine. The rears are really close, so the shields are the same size, but I had to put the larger shields on the front.

That's what I thought but that's what they put me in. Now i'm kind of pissed but oh, well. Can't do **** about it now. I'm going to be giving them a call on Monday... GRRRR!!!

I wonder if the same calipers will work? I'm blaming autoanything.com because they steered me to the wrong set. Again, I'm calling first thing tomorrow if not Monday to get this corrected.

I wonder if the same calipers will work? I'm blaming autoanything.com because they steered me to the wrong set. Again, I'm calling first thing tomorrow if not Monday to get this corrected.

The bigger pads definitely won't fit in those calipers. Not front or rear. You'd have to redo the entire thing.

The bigger pads definitely won't fit in those calipers. Not front or rear. You'd have to redo the entire thing.

Stay tuned, I’ll let you know what happens. Going to ask them to make it right.

Ca you share what type of Led bar and length you have?

Thanks in advance...

I did buy the light on Chinese taobao website.
It it about 30 inches long...
Curved to fit the grille.
Comes with remote control that I end up not installing.
Got it hooked up with a relay to hi beam.
Cost was about 85 USD for the kit.

0IDvp.jpg

Excellent... Thanks...

2832E99D-1A9D-4C37-BA17-E0258014E537.jpeg
A4B8BACB-CF10-42F6-9E0D-4F007DBD4483.jpeg
021A46EC-B594-4769-A3E4-CD38F2EAE95B.jpeg
82701ACF-088A-4880-BE8E-E537CAF27F2A.jpeg
76B40D4C-9A86-4573-8DF0-8BFF7AC990F6.jpeg
AFAAD8AB-2536-4181-917A-2F20C48AAE15.jpeg
2FC8181D-7216-4CAB-A110-CCB7BEBE6E41.jpeg

@Jon M correct brakes on the way. After a long arduous back and forth, we settled for right in the middle so we're both satisfied.

But in the meanwhile, I changed the wrap on my ride and had it done right with Paul and his team at Crown Customs & Coatings in Elk Grove, IL.

Jonnoriega, I really like the new flat black wrap which makes for a great touch. For me the previous red accents on the center hood and rear hatch section was a wee bit too much. The smaller red stripes accent the flat black perfectly and is very well done!

Just keep in mind the 100 lb. limit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back