• Register Today It's free!

Third Row Seats Become unlatched

krafticus

Reaction score
City, State
Ellicott City, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I tried searching, but haven't been able to find anything.
I have a 2016 sport, and twice now, I have hit the button to stow the rear seats, only to see something was under them. in the process of folding, it stops, but the front mechanism disconnects from the seat, and now the seat cannot stow. It will fold and go back to normal.

I can take a pic later, but has anyone had this happen, and is it easy to get back on? Last time, it was already going to the dealer for another issue, so I had them fix it. I am now out of warranty, and would like to try and fix it myself.

There are actually a few threads on the 3rd row seat not stowing but each has a different cause. What likely happened to yours is the same thing that happened to my 2011 when I accidently hit the buttons and the seats started to fold and there was an obstruction in the way. That front mechanism was the problem. I moved the 2nd row seats as far forward as possible to give me some room and I was able to get the parts of the mechanism back in place.

Peter

There are actually a few threads on the 3rd row seat not stowing but each has a different cause. What likely happened to yours is the same thing that happened to my 2011 when I accidently hit the buttons and the seats started to fold and there was an obstruction in the way. That front mechanism was the problem. I moved the 2nd row seats as far forward as possible to give me some room and I was able to get the parts of the mechanism back in place.

Peter
circling back on this. How were you able to get the seat lifted to get the hinge back in? I have the power seats, and can cannot get the seat lifted up to pop the hinge back in.

circling back on this. How were you able to get the seat lifted to get the hinge back in? I have the power seats, and can cannot get the seat lifted up to pop the hinge back in.
From what I recall, I didn't lift the seat. Just got down on my knees so I could see under the front of the seat to put the hinge back in place.

Peter

Back