What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 75 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Removed my Sport and Ecoboost emblems today. Recently I swapped to black Ford emblems, changed reverse lights to LED, and rear turn signals to red LEDs. Also put in some LED bumper reflectors. Looking to remove the exhaust trim pieces and dip them black, or have them wrapped black. Also going to be deleting the roof rack soon as I source the parts, and put the H&R springs on w/Ineterceptor struts when I Get the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@jonnoriega - Admittedly I didn't know how I felt about the full red racing stripes however the more I looked at it the more I started liking it. Very Mustang GT'ish, which is not always pulled off well on an SUV. That said... the new, more subtle variation is a great look and a good compromise, styling wise.

@jonnoriega - Admittedly I didn't know how I felt about the full red racing stripes however the more I looked at it the more I started liking it. Very Mustang GT'ish, which is not always pulled off well on an SUV. That said... the new, more subtle variation is a great look and a good compromise, styling wise.

That’s where I got the inspiration from. @Eric F pulled up a mustang pic and I loved it.

The great thing about wrap, you can easily remove it. I just wanted a different look.

Sunroof limit is like 45lbs or something equally useless.
Oddly enough, there was no distinction between having a moonroof or no moonroof in the 2013 Manual. Load limit is 100 lbs. distributed evenly on the crossbars.

Peter

I washed my engine and installed new weather striping between the doors.

jonnoriega, I really like the satin black mustang stripes on your ex, good choice. I have been thinking about doing that to mine for a future project but I can’t make up my mind between satin black or magnetic met since all of my trim & rims are magnetic met. Thanks for the inspiration! Btw too bad that SRT photo bombed you!

jonnoriega, I really like the satin black mustang stripes on your ex, good choice. I have been thinking about doing that to mine for a future project but I can’t make up my mind between satin black or magnetic met since all of my trim & rims are magnetic met. Thanks for the inspiration! Btw too bad that SRT photo bombed you!
LOL. Thanks, man. I love vinyl wrapping my ride. You can always change it up later.

Post photos of your ride if and when you do it. I would love to check it out!

full.jpg

Today the new one got it's first leather cleaning and conditioning. Tomorrow it's back to the dealer to check a couple of things, then Wednesday will be the first clay bar treatment and waxing, along with blacking out the roof rack rails, and maybe the grill, if I have time. If not, the grill will get done next week.

33720DDF-51FA-474C-BFA0-A9F56F1B154F.jpeg
33720DDF-51FA-474C-BFA0-A9F56F1B154F.jpeg
1FD82122-4AE3-41BD-9AA8-778D6D9ECED8.jpeg
A53208D3-EA1A-4E49-B7DA-BF31DAEB0889.jpeg
DB81F617-7E83-42EA-8895-997B0A2A8493.jpeg
2A0076F1-64E3-4D49-B192-2F6B1C2E961B.jpeg
These mods have been over the last 2.5 weeks. The pictures of the aFe cai shows it without and with the snap on cover, I got the aFe because it was the only cai that I found that uses the lower half of the factory air box. The red and silver on the molded aFe emblem on the intake tube I painted on. I just can’t leave things alone! The Ford oval I had left over from my ex-Ex (2003 XLT). I drilled 3 holes in the engine cover and glued the oval in. I changed the lettering and plastic dipped them and painted the tag frames to match the magnetic met trim and rims. Next I am going to order the livernois tuner in the next couple of a days.

I changed the lettering and plastic dipped them and painted the tag frames to match the magnetic met trim and rims.

QuietStorm17 - Is that the gunmetal plasti-dip? If so did you use their metalizer or just straight plasti?

EF279286-39D2-4881-AA78-BF971BBD5F83.jpeg
MagneticCharm, It is plastic dip luxury metal. There is no name for the color on the can, just the color on the cap. I lightly scrufed up the emblems then sprayed 7 coats. I can be patient...sometimes. Than I did the same with the glossifier. Then as per someone else’s tip on the explorerforum.I used turtle wax ice. It smoothes the emblem and shines it up even more plus extra protection.

QuietStorm17 - Thanks. I must admit I have not seen the Luxury Metal colors until now. Per their website, they are calling it either "Selenite Gray Metallic" or "Black Sapphire. I'll see about tracking some down.

MagneticCharm, I found it at my friendly local auto zone. Good luck and please post some pictures when you are finished.

Thankyou moderator for fixing my screw up!:hammer:

View attachment 158350 View attachment 158350 View attachment 158351 View attachment 158352 View attachment 158353 View attachment 158354 These mods have been over the last 2.5 weeks. The pictures of the aFe cai shows it without and with the snap on cover, I got the aFe because it was the only cai that I found that uses the lower half of the factory air box. The red and silver on the molded aFe emblem on the intake tube I painted on. I just can’t leave things alone! The Ford oval I had left over from my ex-Ex (2003 XLT). I drilled 3 holes in the engine cover and glued the oval in. I changed the lettering and plastic dipped them and painted the tag frames to match the magnetic met trim and rims. Next I am going to order the livernois tuner in the next couple of a days.
You’ll love Livernois.

jonnoriega- thanks, I can hardly wait! Glad to see you got the correct power stop brakes. How do you like them and can you feel the difference compared to the OEM brakes? I guess you will have to do some aggressive driving to give them a good test. Have fun!:D

jonnoriega- thanks, I can hardly wait! Glad to see you got the correct power stop brakes. How do you like them and can you feel the difference compared to the OEM brakes? I guess you will have to do some aggressive driving to give them a good test. Have fun!:D
LOL - yes, I will. So far so good. Going to run her on a track next week. True test then!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go! Speed Racer Go! Let us know the results.

Back