2001 Ranger Edge Front to 2000 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ranger Edge Front to 2000 Explorer

The duct tape really sets it off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More betterer yet!
I was able to spend a bit more time on her, got the pieces welded on and a quick repaint, but it still needs bondo. I got an idea for a couple of stripes that should look good and help blend Ranger to Explorer body lines.

latest.jpg

latestest.jpg

You will have to call it an "Explorer Edge" now.

so im curious, do you thinks a 2001-2005 or newer front bumper will bolt onto the 95-2001 explorer frame horns & are those stock explorer flares on the back or are they Ranger flares, they tend to look different?

so im curious, do you thinks a 2001-2005 or newer front bumper will bolt onto the 95-2001 explorer frame horns & are those stock explorer flares on the back or are they Ranger flares, they tend to look different?

It's not likely the bumper will fit. It's pretty easy to take measurements and look at the profile/shape of the bumper to see if it would work.

The fender flares all came over from the Ranger. I had to cut them in to fit the rear.

The fender flares all came over from the Ranger. I had to cut them in to fit the rear.
So do you have any modification pics to what you did to make the rear flares work on the explorer

So do you have any modification pics to what you did to make the rear flares work on the explorer
I just held the flairs where I wanted them, marked a few holes for the fender clips, drilled them, installed the fender with enough clips to hold it in place, then marked the rest of the holes and used a scribe, dragging it along the fender to mark what needed to be cut-off for better fitment. I was able to use a utility knife to trim them to fit. They don't fit perfect so I used a little black caulking.

Hear ya go, the best it looks so far, still need to do the passenger side and light bondo where I welded on the Explorer fenders to the back edge of the Ranger fenders. It won't be perfect like any show truck, but good enough for my purposes.......................
First pic is the drivers side, compare it to the passenger side with fender gap fixed, stripe to tie-in upper body/fender line, and I moved the side molding trim up to tie-in the different lower body lines:
drivers.jpg

passenger.jpg

I also painted-up a couple of "Ford" emblems to put over the holes in the fenders from the old Ranger emblem:
ford.jpg

When I complete the passenger side I will go over all with a couple of clear coats.

Lookin way better man, I'm feeling it now. Considered an 04+ conversion at all to gain the bigger grill? I'm sure you have enough skills to make it work with the power dome hood. I'm about to do the swap to mine.

Props on the body line / stripe deal, way to tie it in without spending hours of sheet metal fab.

Thanks man! It looks pretty good from a distance and that's good enough for me.

Good luck with yours!

I too also like what you have done on a budget! Anyone who has the audacity to "Boldly go where no man has gone before!", I do admire.:thumbsup: Both you Blown and BoominXplorer on this thread and the picture of the Sport Trac with the "power dome" Ranger hood (below) have inspired me to try and fit a 2003 "power dome" Ranger hood onto my 2003 Explorer Sport. My present hood is all dinged up from bombardment of falling acorns last fall so it needs repairing. I found a power dome hood for less than $100, so I have nothing much to lose. :)

ranger hood on sport trac 2.jpg

I can dig it. Wish I still had my 03 edge. That got totalled, bought a 98 ranger, sold it and now have a 99 explorer. Couldnt be happier.

I like it!

Years ago I saw a '77-79 Ranchero with a Thunderbird front clip. Looked good, and like yours, the average person might notice something looks different, but only people in the know would figure it out. I always wanted to try a Montego bumper on my '74 Ranchero, but never did. I liked the horizontal openings in the Montego bumpers over the solid Ranchero/Torino bumper, but the Montego bumper looked like it might have curved into the fender just a bit. Probably would have bolted on though, but the filler panel would have needed work to fit.

Looking good Blown!

Props on the body line / stripe deal, way to tie it in without spending hours of sheet metal fab.

ditto.

I was thinking a set of the wider and streamline mountaineer door moldings would look good too.

Looking good Blown!

ditto.

I was thinking a set of the wider and streamline mountaineer door moldings would look good too.

The explorer sport tracs have wider door moulding that might work even better, and they say explorer.

So I also went with four individual racks so I could install and take them down easy. I can also use them at camp as assembled and shown below. Six 1/4" bolts, washers and wing nuts hold it together.

rackety.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im curious, will this hood work on stock explorer fenders? The contour and fitment? (disregarding headlight and grill assembly)

Back