Issue with Neutral Safety Switch - not aligning after trans rebuilt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Issue with Neutral Safety Switch - not aligning after trans rebuilt

08EddieCA

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 & 03 X (Eddie B & XLS)
Hello,
I attached photos of the neutral safety switch, switch on truck, and pics of shifter. 2008 ex Eddie B. 4.0 250 miles on new trans. 125,000 on odo. A4x4.

Short story, I aligned the neutral position. I placed the truck in neutral. All was fine. However the rod that sticks out of the transmission with the NSS on the transmission, in the slots, and aligned perfectly.
Problem is the two mounting bolts are 1/2 inch off on the front bolt. The back bold on the nss will thread in.

After the switch has been aligned with neutral marks lined up on the switch, with the shifter in neutral, the car will move forward in gear - in Park. It seems the selector rod coming out of the trans needs to be adjusted.

Question, can the rod coming out of the transmission be moved or aligned with the pan dropped? At this point I can't drive the truck.

I'm sending the truck via flatbed on Monday. I would really like to get this truck moving on my own now.

Any suggestions?

View attachment Shifter between P&N.JPG

View attachment Shifter between N&D.JPG

IMG_3238.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The adjustment you need to working with is the cable to transmission connection. There is a locking tab that one released you can move the cable.

I disconnect the cable and set the shifter and transmission linkage in neutral then adjust the cable so it can connect to the linkage.

I tried adjusting the Cable as far as it goes. Once that exact proceedure was performed and cable clipped on, the Truck would drive forward in gear while in part. I double checked to make sure the floor ****er was also in neutral with the trans selector was also in neutral.
The range selector was unable to bolted on one side of thevsensor. The range selector could not easily be bolted to the north side/ the front bolt.
I stated it in neutral the put the truck in park. The truck drives forward in park.

Either the safety switch selector cable is broken or the rod the sensor slides into needs to be rotated. The cable can't be be adjusted further.

How to I adjust that selector rod. I need the selector rod from the trans to rotate 1/4." I'm hoping the selector rode can be rotated from inside the pan, if the trans shop I just contacted can't get the nss aligned.

PS - I have a new Motorcraft shift linkage in the event its the Cable.
I just tried to see if I adjusted the connector at the transmission however the bushing is 1/2 inch too far even at full adjustment.

Thank you for your help. Very much apprecated JK080.

BF4671E1-761A-4EF2-802A-AB8CABCD136B-29006-0000138EA11ADAE0_tmp.jpg
The internal linkage has no adjustment. If the nut on the out side that holds on linkage was loosened with out holding nut inside you may have damaged the selector as pictured. The double D opening is prone to splitting when the shaft is turned from the outside and not held by the nut on the inside causing what you are explaining. Just a thought.

Thank you. To clarify, there's a hex bolt inside the trans connected to the shifter rod exiting the left side of the trans can be out ? Many thanks. Truck heads to independent tranny shop on Monday. I'll bring these points up specifically.

There is a hex nut on the inside just like the outside. The shaft is threaded on both ends.let us know what you find out.

Do I need to drop the valve body to get to that internet hex?

Many thanks

SOLVED: Tranny shop took one look at it and noticed the Neutral Safety switch was place backwards.

He took off the old bushing connector, replaced the connector, and aligned the cable the same way as mentioned by others above. Thank you for your help.

My truck is running again....so, thank you.

IMG_3182.PNG
No. 13/16th nut. Take care not to damage the pin that goes to th manual valve when trying to get the nut loose.

Do I need to drop the valve body to get to that internet hex?

Many thanks

SOLVED: Tranny shop took one look at it and noticed the Neutral Safety switch was place backwards.

He took off the old bushing connector, replaced the connector, and aligned the cable the same way as mentioned by others above. Thank you for your help.

My truck is running again....so, thank you.
can you explain about drs being on backward. i am having same problem and can not get this figured out. i have even tried putting it on upside down

can you explain about drs being on backward. i am having same problem and can not get this figured out. i have even tried putting it on upside down

I wish I could. The trans shop did the work for us. I personally didn't do the work. I looked at the invoice and there is almost no description of the work performed. Sorry about the lack of response on this one. Transman304 might be able to shed more light on this.

F8F8C2CD-27C0-4287-B1F2-6C6D1DB858B0.png
It should look just like the one pictured.

ok thank you for replying

Bump.

Back