• Register Today It's free!

AWD Lock Mountaineer

stkelly

Reaction score
City, State
Laytonsville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Mountaineer
I was looking through my manual and noticed there's supposed to be an option to lock the AWD on the V8 versions of the mountaineer. I went into the menu like the manual stated and I never see an "AWD Lock" option listed. I've heard others talk about it here as well. Does anyone happen to have an 08 V8 Mountaineer that has the AWD lock option?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 07 that has it. Cant remember if you push the setup button or info button I think it just say auto or lock. Push the reset button to switch between the 2

First option when you press setup.

First option when you press setup.

Strange, not an option at all on my info center. I wonder if they removed it for the 08 models.

Did you ever figure out how to lock the AWD on your 08? I just got one and that option is missing from my setup menu as well.

Did you ever figure out how to lock the AWD on your 08? I just got one and that option is missing from my setup menu as well.

I never found it and determined that the option was removed for the 2008 models.

As I recall at least the 08 & 09 AWD build is a Full Time drive system. Everything is engage to tear through any terrain. Nothing to lock since the transfer case is driving front/back together!!! One of the criteria for our selection as well as another make I bought for myself is full time AWD.

Now 4WD is a totally different system.

I have a 2008 mountaineer V8 and the AWD lock is in the setup menu. Keep trying.

Definitely not in the menu, I wonder if it was a bug in the early PCM version (my build date is 6/07). Anyone have a way of checking that other than the dealer?

tripplec this is AWD, though on the V8 it should have the option to lock the system. Look around for a thread talking about viscous coupler vs clutched transfer cases if your interested. There is an electronic shiftier on the physical transfer case just like the explorers. The explorers have buttons to toggle it.

If it’s a single speed I highly doubt there is anything on the transmission that shifts. Most likely it’s an electromagnetic clutch that gets constant power as opposed to duty cycling when there is wheel slippage detected. I would consider this automatic 4wd, and not AWD.

Back