What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 77 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

As a matter of fact I did but have been purchasing from Bob Cline for years. I purchased my Ford Extended Service Plan (ESP) from Ziegler's out of Michigan (www.factoryplans.com) using PAYINFULL for the discount code. I purchased an 8 year/125,000 miles, $200 deductible Premium Care Bumper to Bumper ESP and got it for $1655. I appreciate the reminder but Bob is a friend of mine and I don’t bail on friends.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Window tint done. Going back Wednesday for him to do a chrome delete in satin black vinyl. He didn't have enough on hand to do it today.

IMG_20180518_130629.jpg

View attachment 158350 View attachment 158350 View attachment 158351 View attachment 158352 View attachment 158353 View attachment 158354 These mods have been over the last 2.5 weeks. The pictures of the aFe cai shows it without and with the snap on cover, I got the aFe because it was the only cai that I found that uses the lower half of the factory air box. The red and silver on the molded aFe emblem on the intake tube I painted on. I just can’t leave things alone! The Ford oval I had left over from my ex-Ex (2003 XLT). I drilled 3 holes in the engine cover and glued the oval in. I changed the lettering and plastic dipped them and painted the tag frames to match the magnetic met trim and rims. Next I am going to order the livernois tuner in the next couple of a days.
How's the noise with the aFe's cover compared to just an open filter?

Window tint done. Going back Wednesday for him to do a chrome delete in satin black vinyl. He didn't have enough on hand to do it today.

View attachment 159049

Gotta show pics when the chrome delete is complete. I have that same color and think that would be awesome!

That looks very dark. Perhaps it is because you are parked in the shade.

Peter

That looks very dark. Perhaps it is because you are parked in the shade.

Peter
It is fairly dark, but it was also overcast.

Installed the factory rear splash guards today. They fit very good. The rears only took about 20 minutes and I drilled the hole from behind so there was no need to remove the tires. I have the fronts but may have to wait till next weekend to install those. Looks like on the 2018 I have to drill 2 holes for the front.

The aFe cai for the 3.5 n/a is quiet when idling and under cruising speeds. When accelerating and when you get a lil’ aggressive :D it gets loud in my opinion. I have the snap on cover on mine to keep the hot air out and it lowers the sound a little bit.

This is the only cai I have used on this Explorer so I can’t compare it to the K&N or any other brand cai. The aFe is completely inclosed when you order and use the snap on cover. Unlike the K&N and others available for the 3.5 n/a in the Explorer the aFe is actually a real cai. And also to get the full benefits of any cai consider getting a tuner(Livernois). Good luck & happy shopping! If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

This is the only cai I have used on this Explorer so I can’t compare it to the K&N or any other brand cai. The aFe is completely inclosed when you order and use the snap on cover. Unlike the K&N and others available for the 3.5 n/a in the Explorer the aFe is actually a real cai. And also to get the full benefits of any cai consider getting a tuner(Livernois). Good luck & happy shopping! If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

It doesn't look like aFe offers the snap on cover for the Ecoboost version of their CIA. If this correct? If so, there would be no blocking of hot air being drawn from engine compartment.

It doesn't look like aFe offers the snap on cover for the Ecoboost version of their CIA. If this correct? If so, there would be no blocking of hot air being drawn from engine compartment.
I checked aFe’s site and could not find a snap on cover for the 3.5 eco boost. It doesn’t make sense that they would have one for the 3.5 n/a Explorer & the 3.5 ecoboost f-150 & others but not yours. With the exception of the intake tubes the Sports and the 3.5 n/a aFe CAI that attaches to the lower half of the factory air boxes are in the same location and look to be the same size. The only deference seems to be the inlet for the air filter itself. The Sports is 4.5” compared to the 3.5 n/a’s 4” the rest of the filters demensions are the same. So maybe the snap on cover for the 3.5 n/a could fit on the Sport’s. I would call aFe Monday morning and ask them if they make a cover for the Sport or if not see if the cover for the flex/ Explorer(#54-12848-B) would fit the Sport’s aFe CAI. Whew! Sorry for the long reply. Goodluck and let us know what you find out.

Removed my Sport and Ecoboost emblems today. Recently I swapped to black Ford emblems, changed reverse lights to LED, and rear turn signals to red LEDs. Also put in some LED bumper reflectors. Looking to remove the exhaust trim pieces and dip them black, or have them wrapped black. Also going to be deleting the roof rack soon as I source the parts, and put the H&R springs on w/Ineterceptor struts when I Get the time.

Tony, where did you get your black front/rear Ford nameplates from? I'm looking for some but most that I see get low reviews for quality (i.e. Amazon, eBay, etc.). Thanks in advanced for any help.

Tony, where did you get your black front/rear Ford nameplates from? I'm looking for some but most that I see get low reviews for quality (i.e. Amazon, eBay, etc.). Thanks in advanced for any help.
Hi Joel. There are several posts that discuss the emblem change. Here is just one I found using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature; Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer!

Peter

Thanks Peter!

I checked aFe’s site and could not find a snap on cover for the 3.5 eco boost. It doesn’t make sense that they would have one for the 3.5 n/a Explorer & the 3.5 ecoboost f-150 & others but not yours. With the exception of the intake tubes the Sports and the 3.5 n/a aFe CAI that attaches to the lower half of the factory air boxes are in the same location and look to be the same size. The only deference seems to be the inlet for the air filter itself. The Sports is 4.5” compared to the 3.5 n/a’s 4” the rest of the filters demensions are the same. So maybe the snap on cover for the 3.5 n/a could fit on the Sport’s. I would call aFe Monday morning and ask them if they make a cover for the Sport or if not see if the cover for the flex/ Explorer(#54-12848-B) would fit the Sport’s aFe CAI. Whew! Sorry for the long reply. Goodluck and let us know what you find out.

I checked with aFe and the EcoBoost CIA does not have a cover available to enclose it. That makes it a hard pass. Too bad...

I checked with aFe and the EcoBoost CIA does not have a cover available to enclose it. That makes it a hard pass. Too bad...
That’s to bad, good luck in your search. Let us know what you find.

The pictures of the aFe cai shows it without and with the snap on cover, I got the aFe because it was the only cai that I found that uses the lower half of the factory air box

How do you like the aFe intake? Notice any differences in performance? I just received delivery of one myself. I got it for the exact same reason.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do you like the aFe intake? Notice any differences in performance? I just received delivery of one myself. I got it for the exact same reason.
I like it so far, I did not notice much of a change in the performance at first. The only major change was the sound it made. But I got my Livernois tuner last week:bounce:. They programed the tunes with the cai in mind. Now I am pretty happy between the tuner, the aFe CAI and my Pedal Commander I got last year.I would of liked to of put my X on a dyno before the changes but I have not found any in my area that handles 4WD. I forgot to mention in my previous post about the aFe, the vacum hose is way too short. I went to Auto Zone and got 7 inches of vacum tube. And the aFe crank case hose lifts up the engine cover. It is easy to remove some of the foam from underneath the foam engine cover. Enjoy!

Back