Intermittent Squealing noise

Mitchs07explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Meridian, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 AWD
07 XLT V6
My 07 4.0 xlt advance trac occasionally when it's hot out or I've been on a really dusty road will start an odd kind of squeal noise in the engine bay when sitting at idle but goes away when you tap the accelerator or start driving. I noticed this right around 100k mi, since then I've given her a tune up, spark plugs, spark plug wires, new belt, tensioner pulley and idler pulley, air filter, PCV valve. All the parts I used were Motorcraft aside from the air filter which was a K&N. Does anyone know of anything else that I should of replaced on the belt accessories that could cause a squeal. Its not a high pitched squeal or incredibly loud like what you'd expect from an engine belt slipping but it's loud enough to drown out the sound of the engine when it's occurring. I'm just not sure what else it could be. The new parts are tip top, there's plenty of tension on the belt. It hasn't done it in months but as it's getting hotter out I'm sure it will start doing it again and I'm hoping to have a better idea of where to look when it does occur again. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm ac compressor clutch? Just shooting from the hip. It may be an accessory pully. Have you tried spinning them individually with the belt off? See if they feel solid and smooth?

Hmmm ac compressor clutch? Just shooting from the hip. It may be an accessory pully. Have you tried spinning them individually with the belt off? See if they feel solid and smooth?
No I haven't tried spinning the pulleys yet but I will. I was possibly thinking fan clutch but don't know if those make noise when going bad. I wondered about the AC clutch too, it hasn't been hot yet so I haven't run the AC much but when I did run it when it was a little warmer everything sounded fine. It may not happen again until it gets really hot and I've been driving for a long period of time.

No I haven't tried spinning the pulleys yet but I will. I was possibly thinking fan clutch but don't know if those make noise when going bad. I wondered about the AC clutch too, it hasn't been hot yet so I haven't run the AC much but when I did run it when it was a little warmer everything sounded fine. It may not happen again until it gets really hot and I've been driving for a long period of time.
My fan clutch on my 97 4L sohc did make a racket like you are describing. You may be able to visually inspect that part. Not sure tho. Delicately worth spinning and playing with things with the belt off.

So the noise finally happened again and now I'm thinking it's the power steering pump because the AC wasn't on . The level of the fluid in the tank was right at the minimum mark. Thinking back on it, it seems like I only hear the noise when I'm on an incline which would change the level of the fluid. I added a bit of mercon to the tank a couple of days ago and I haven't heard it yet. I'm thinking that was it and some air must've been making its way into the pump. Keeping my fingers crossed that that was the problem. I need to do a flush on the power steering system anyway so I suppose now is a good time. I'm also thinking that as it's gotten hotter out and in combination with the engine heat it must've made the power steering fluid very thin and easier for air to enter the system given the lower fluid level.

So the noise finally happened again and now I'm thinking it's the power steering pump because the AC wasn't on . The level of the fluid in the tank was right at the minimum mark. Thinking back on it, it seems like I only hear the noise when I'm on an incline which would change the level of the fluid. I added a bit of mercon to the tank a couple of days ago and I haven't heard it yet. I'm thinking that was it and some air must've been making its way into the pump. Keeping my fingers crossed that that was the problem. I need to do a flush on the power steering system anyway so I suppose now is a good time. I'm also thinking that as it's gotten hotter out and in combination with the engine heat it must've made the power steering fluid very thin and easier for air to enter the system given the lower fluid level.
I hate to be that guy but I did have my rack and pinion fail at 115k on my 2010. Check the inside of your boots for fluid. That's where mine was leaking from.

I hate to be that guy but I did have my rack and pinion fail at 115k on my 2010. Check the inside of your boots for fluid. That's where mine was leaking from.
Thanks for the tip, I'm at 116k right now. No fluid has actually dripped onto the ground but if it's ending up in the boot then that would make sense why I haven't seen anything.

Thanks for the tip, I'm at 116k right now. No fluid has actually dripped onto the ground but if it's ending up in the boot then that would make sense why I haven't seen anything.
Mine never dripped either.

Back