Auxiliary buttons on steering wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auxiliary buttons on steering wheel

seatflipper

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 FPIU
Anyone know if it’s possible for a dealer to program the auxiliary buttons on the steering wheel to control the volume and channels on the radio? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They should already control the radio??? Both of mine do?

They should already control the radio??? Both of mine do?

On some FPIUs/Tauruses, the buttons on the right side around the voice command switch are labeled 1 2 3 4 and say AUX on them and can be programmed by upfitters to control lights, sirens, etc. Hoping I can have them reprogrammed to control the radio like a normal wheel, like yours, does.

Oh I wasnt aware of this.. I would assume the sccm module has different coding in it.. if you pm me your vin I can compare it to both of mine. See what is possibly different

I'm pretty sure the SCCM program is different, but it sounds like the steering wheel switch assemblies are somehow different as well, from another thread on the topic in which someone was also trying to get audio control to replace Auxiliary switches. It might also require changes to the IPC.

I presume you have SYNC? That adds to the complexity. I haven't seen many PIUs without SYNC, but which have Auxiliary switches, or which have SYNC and have the audio controls. The program from a non-PIU which has SYNC might be a better comparison, since they don't get Aux.

I'm trying to go the other way, because I'd like the Aux switches to control driving lights. It hasn't been as easy as just adding the module, changing the steering wheel face assembly, and changing the programming for the SCCM and IPC; the buttons do nothing at the moment, which is a risk of messing with this system, though one can always revert.

I'm pretty sure somewhere in the Forscan thread it discusses the hex coding to change the buttons from Aux 1-4 to radio controls. The Forscan change also changes the driver display to show the vehicle image instead of the Aux 1-4 "on-off" displays. Of course, that doesn't change whether the buttons are hard wired differently!

I'm pretty sure somewhere in the Forscan thread it discusses the hex coding to change the buttons from Aux 1-4 to radio controls. The Forscan change also changes the driver display to show the vehicle image instead of the Aux 1-4 "on-off" displays. Of course, that doesn't change whether the buttons are hard wired differently!

Thanks for the reply and info. Not trying to be too hard on you on the amber lights, just trying to save you from future ridicule.

The equipment is currently in a 2010 CVPI. I have several friends locally who are LEO's who have looked at my CVPI install to make sure I do not violate any local laws. We all volunteer for the same organization as well, so they understand when the lights can be necessary. As stated, the Setina is more because I don't want to drill massive holes in the vehicle body to mount the HF antenna needed for the volunteer organization. I didn't mind as much on the CVPI because it already had holes from the previous owner. Also, with the layout of the PIU, it necessitated switching to a different style of mount for the HF antenna, utilizing the setup seen on vehicles in the Outback and the Sahara.

I've dealt with plenty of folks who call me a whacker. Doesn't bother me! When I have communications during an emergency that others cannot, and when I can help contribute positively to the mission of my volunteer organization, to me that's all that matters in the end. No hard feelings from me!

The equipment is currently in a 2010 CVPI. I have several friends locally who are LEO's who have looked at my CVPI install to make sure I do not violate any local laws. We all volunteer for the same organization as well, so they understand when the lights can be necessary. As stated, the Setina is more because I don't want to drill massive holes in the vehicle body to mount the HF antenna needed for the volunteer organization. I didn't mind as much on the CVPI because it already had holes from the previous owner. Also, with the layout of the PIU, it necessitated switching to a different style of mount for the HF antenna, utilizing the setup seen on vehicles in the Outback and the Sahara.

I've dealt with plenty of folks who call me a whacker. Doesn't bother me! When I have communications during an emergency that others cannot, and when I can help contribute positively to the mission of my volunteer organization, to me that's all that matters in the end. No hard feelings from me!

I’ve been called it lightheartedly too for using a CVPI as my EMS POV, just trying to do my part to keep CVPI stigmas from carrying over to FPIUs. If you’re working in an official capacity and actually need to be producing visibility on the side of the road, and if LEOs are alright with it, so be it I guess.

Anyone know if it’s possible for a dealer to program the auxiliary buttons on the steering wheel to control the volume and channels on the radio? Thanks
You will have to get a Police Interface Module (http://www.intermotive.net/Brochures/PIM_brochure.pdf ) , to bypass the Generic Function Module, so that you can make the Aux 1- 4 work as seek and volume on the PIU steering wheel ; Or replace with a Non PIU steering wheel with seek and volume and change

IPC 720-01-02 to xxx0 xxxx xxxx
and
SCCM 724-03-01 to xx01 xxxx xx

I just did the latter, this past weekend. I only have 2 DTC for the GFM , ( AUX 1 and 3 are still open ), I believe all I have to do is locate the GFM behind the glove box and disconnect and the DTC hopefully will be gone, will be trying this on the weekend.

724-03-01 0202 2806 61
You will have to get a Police Interface Module (http://www.intermotive.net/Brochures/PIM_brochure.pdf ) , to bypass the Generic Function Module, so that you can make the Aux 1- 4 work as seek and volume on the PIU steering wheel ; Or replace with a Non PIU steering wheel with seek and volume and change

and

I just did the latter, this past weekend. I only have 2 DTC for the GFM , ( AUX 1 and 3 are still open ), I believe all I have to do is locate the GFM behind the glove box and disconnect and the DTC hopefully will be gone, will be trying this on the weekend.

I concur with the IPC module program change, but for SCCM, my non-Aux as-built looked like:

724-03-01 xx02 xxxx xx

whereas the ones with Aux I compared it to were both:

724-03-01 xx11 xxxx xx

What I'm not so sure about is getting that GFM added & removed. I think I may need to make the change to the SCCM while the module is installed, I had not identified that missing component when I first applied the change. I remember getting a fault but I don't remember if it was with the SCCM being unhappy about the lack of a module it expected, or something else.

724-03-01 0202 2806 61

I concur with the IPC module program change, but for SCCM, my non-Aux as-built looked like:

724-03-01 xx02 xxxx xx

whereas the ones with Aux I compared it to were both:

724-03-01 xx11 xxxx xx

What I'm not so sure about is getting that GFM added & removed. I think I may need to make the change to the SCCM while the module is installed, I had not identified that missing component when I first applied the change. I remember getting a fault but I don't remember if it was with the SCCM being unhappy about the lack of a module it expected, or something else.
At 724-03-01, I tried xx02 xxxx xx ,but got a DTC in the SCCM and 2 in the GFM , but with
xx01 xxxx xx , no DTC in the SCCM but still 2 in the GFM. With either code , all functions worked on the steering wheel.

Did ya figure this out?

Did ya figure this out?
To which member is this addressed? It may not matter much since the most recent member was seen here a year ago.

Peter

and

I'll try to directly quote maybe that will trigger a notification.

Stoker, I have a 2017 piu with sync MyFord. Assuming I have the police module, can I bypass it or does it need to be swapped with the civilian module if it is even present? If you know that is. My buttons are labeled for volume and track but are haywire. Vol + moves track and track does that or changes source. I took the buttons apart and they looked pristine no corrosion. Plugged in a sport button set and that did not operate as labeled. Granted the button layout was different. I have a forscan recommended obd2 reading coming Monday to diagnose

and

I'm gonna be replacing my steering wheel with a non-PIU steering wheel, would I have to do anything in FORScan? My dash would show the AUX buttons still.

Hey how are u ?
I have aux 1-4 in my car
What can i do to have vehicle image?

Hey how are u ?
I have aux 1-4 in my car
What can i do to have vehicle image?

and

Hello, as stated above you can change these in FORScan. If you're wanting to get rid of the AUX numbers on the cluster, change IPC to what is stated above. This will not make those buttons act as seek and volume controls. You'll need to replace the right side controls with one that has those, or replace the entire steering wheel.

Hello, as stated above you can change these in FORScan. If you're wanting to get rid of the AUX numbers on the cluster, change IPC to what is stated above. This will not make those buttons act as seek and volume controls. You'll need to replace the right side controls with one that has those, or replace the entire steering wheel.
Would those changes also apply to a Ford Taurus?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would those changes also apply to a Ford Taurus?

Peter
Never tried it on a Taurus Interceptor. However I do believe the same procedure will apply from what I did to my Utility. I don't see why it wouldn't work. You can always try it, just backup your AS BUILT data before trying anything.

Back