List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 45 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Just took in our '16 Explorer this morning. Ford approved new hood and paint in less than an hour.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Carmen, Welcome to the forum. I've merged your post with the ongoing thread that discusses this exact issue. If you go back a page and look at post 758, you will see Ford now covers this for 5yrs/unlimited mileage beginning in 2016. Many Explorers prior to the 2016MY have now been able to get theirs covered. I would kindly call up your dealership and advise them that Ford has announced coverage for 5yrs/unlim mileage and ask that they escalate this to Ford.

My feeling is they looked at it, and said oh, you are over 36k and didn't even bother contacting Ford.

Lastly, just about everything you could imagine has been talked about on here. We ask that members use the search function first on the top right to try and keep same topics posted together. For this, I used "hood paint".

Please let us know the outcome from your dealer.

Hi all. I called up my dealership and they said that the only way ford is covering these is if there is a perforation through the body panel itself, not just a chip in the paint. Is there a Ford rep on here that can clarify this? They said they would take pictures but that since there is no perforation it will not be covered.

Hi all. I called up my dealership and they said that the only way ford is covering these is if there is a perforation through the body panel itself, not just a chip in the paint. Is there a Ford rep on here that can clarify this? They said they would take pictures but that since there is no perforation it will not be covered.
If your Explorer is still under the factory warranty, then this issue should be covered. If not under warranty then I'm afraid you are out of luck. As for SJExplorer, he has a 2016 and the 2016+ Explorers are covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage for corrosion to panels. That is a different warranty than the one you mentioned.

Peter

If your Explorer is still under the factory warranty, then this issue should be covered. If not under warranty then I'm afraid you are out of luck. As for SJExplorer, he has a 2016 and the 2016+ Explorers are covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage for corrosion to panels. That is a different warranty than the one you mentioned.

Peter
I really don't like that answer. lol mine is a '15 that was purchased in '16, and it is about 3k over the 35k mileage.

I really don't like that answer. lol mine is a '15 that was purchased in '16, and it is about 3k over the 35k mileage.
Warranty is 3 years. 36k so you are only over by a couple k. I doubt Ford will warranty the repair but you can always hope. BTW, there are no Ford reps on the site any more. Good luck.

Peter

Peter is correct. I have a 16 Limited and a 17 Sport. The 16 goes in Tuesday for a new hood and paint. So far so good on the 17, but I check it every week when I wash it. Best of luck to you in getting it fixed.

Just noticed on my 2016 Ford Explorer sport, just over 2 yrs old, 21,000 miles , has the bubbles appearing along the front rim of the hood as well. Noticed 5 different locations. Since under 3 yrs old, will be heading to the dealer.

Update: Dealer took a look and took pictures and submitted to Ford. They are going to replace the entire hood. May take some time, so far been about 6 weeks and still waiting, but at least they are replacing it under warranty.

My 2015 Explorer Sport has bubbles showing through in several spots along the front edge of the hood.
The hood was fully wrapped in PPF at time of purchase and has no rock chip damage. Called the dealer, but since it's at 40months / 37,000km they say I'm on my own unless the corrosion bores a hole all the way through the hood panel...

Very frustrating for Ford not to take accountability for such a severe manufacturing defect (many forum postings about this issue) - Doesn't really encourage repeat customers...

Just noticed on my 2016 Ford Explorer sport, just over 2 yrs old, 21,000 miles , has the bubbles appearing along the front rim of the hood as well. Noticed 5 different locations. Since under 3 yrs old, will be heading to the dealer.
Check your Warranty Guide. You have a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty on that issue.

Peter

1st paint bubble emerged on my bronze fire hood sometime within the first year. Now at the 2 year mark I'm up to 3 bubbles; all across the front edge. Very disappointing. I'll see what the dealer says at the next oil change.
Ford approved the warranty repair for the paint bubbles. The dealer sub'd the repair to a local body shop where I received a new hood with matched paint. They had the car for 4 days. Just got it back yesterday. Looks great! Perfect match to the bronze fire and good alignment on the hood. Very pleased with the work.

I have the same issue on mine but I have been told by a dealer that unless it is rusted through, it is not covered. One problem is that Aluminium does not rust. I looks awful. Is there contact information to contact Ford Service Department to get some assistance on this the issue could be resolved quickly with a minor paint job.

I have the same issue on mine but I have been told by a dealer that unless it is rusted through, it is not covered. One problem is that Aluminium does not rust. I looks awful. Is there contact information to contact Ford Service Department to get some assistance on this the issue could be resolved quickly with a minor paint job.
Welcome to the Forum vincent.:wave:
Your post was moved to this more appropriate thread. If you read through a few of the posts you will see that you are out of luck as far as Ford covering any repairs.
The dealer is correct and so are you. Aluminum will not rust but corrodes. Beginning with the 2016 model, corrosion of aluminum panels is now covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage. In a way, Ford has acknowledged there is a problem. Several members who have had it painted found that the issue returned again later. No sense in contacting a Ford Service Department since Ford will not give them the authorization to do the repair for free.
See post #827 for contact info for Ford Service. Good luck.

Peter

A quick minor paint job will not fix it. The hood needs to be replaced and prepped properly then fully painted to fix it.

I have a 21016 Ford Explored Sport. The paint has been bubbling on the front edge of the hood since I purchased it from a Ford dealer. Ford rep at Ford Customer care sent me an email and stated this:

Thank you for alerting us to your paint concern on the hood. From the chat, I understand you do not wish to pay for the paint repair. Paint manufacturer defects are covered only during the New Vehicle Limited Warranty period of your vehicle. (New Vehicle Limited Warranty period covers 3 years from the warranty start date or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first).

After reviewing my resources, I have verified that the vehicle is no longer within that Paint Warranty and there are are no recalls or other programs on your vehicle to completely cover the cost. I see you have a maintenance, tire and Premium Care Ford Protect Extended Service Plans (ESP). Typically, paint is not covered by an ESP but you are welcomed to call the ESP team at 1-800-392-3673 or 1-866-616-6727 to verify what is or is not covered in your Premium ESP. They are available Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (EST). They also have a website with general coverage and details which is: ESP Product Landing Page

To clarify, we escalated your request to look into assistance with the cost of the repair but not to cover it completely. Once the warranty expires, Ford does not provide complete coverage for any defect. Based on the information you provided, Ford Motor Company will participate in some of the cost of this repair which includes parts and labor. There is no alternative response or decision I can provide. This is the final decision.

But the Ford 2016 warranty downloaded from Ford states this on page 11:

(3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended
Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles
driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet
metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due
to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory
workmanship. If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage,
and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident,
customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion
or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles. For
damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where there
is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty − our
policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne
material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Hi all, 2016 Explorer Limited, Absolute Black. 53k+ on the odometer, noticed the front lip of the hood is blistering / bubbling from underneath. Contacted Ford through online chat and was advised to take it to the dealer for a look. Called dealer and was told, no appointment needed, drop in and let them have a look. Went to the dealer this morning, it seemed obvious to me that they had seen this issue before. Greeter in service area took me to a service writer and said something like, "He's got and Explorer with the hood bubbles". Very few words exchanged, so it was apparent to me that it's a known problem. Service writer went to look at the vehicle with me, and checked the mileage. "Wow, you drive a lot!". First indication that this might not be a simple trip. Back at his desk he explained that it's out of warranty and there are not "Outstanding Field Service Actions" listed regarding the hood / paint issues.

He offered a quote on a new hood. Uh... no.

What are my next steps?

Corrosion protection (since this is corrosion coming from UNDER the paint) is only offered on PERFORATION. That's ridiculous. Vehicle is a 2016, regardless of miles, this would have happened.

Thanks,
Joe

I have a 21016 Ford Explored Sport. The paint has been bubbling on the front edge of the hood since I purchased it from a Ford dealer. Ford rep at Ford Customer care sent me an email and stated this:

Thank you for alerting us to your paint concern on the hood. From the chat, I understand you do not wish to pay for the paint repair. Paint manufacturer defects are covered only during the New Vehicle Limited Warranty period of your vehicle. (New Vehicle Limited Warranty period covers 3 years from the warranty start date or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first).

After reviewing my resources, I have verified that the vehicle is no longer within that Paint Warranty and there are are no recalls or other programs on your vehicle to completely cover the cost. I see you have a maintenance, tire and Premium Care Ford Protect Extended Service Plans (ESP). Typically, paint is not covered by an ESP but you are welcomed to call the ESP team at 1-800-392-3673 or 1-866-616-6727 to verify what is or is not covered in your Premium ESP. They are available Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (EST). They also have a website with general coverage and details which is: ESP Product Landing Page

To clarify, we escalated your request to look into assistance with the cost of the repair but not to cover it completely. Once the warranty expires, Ford does not provide complete coverage for any defect. Based on the information you provided, Ford Motor Company will participate in some of the cost of this repair which includes parts and labor. There is no alternative response or decision I can provide. This is the final decision.

But the Ford 2016 warranty downloaded from Ford states this on page 11:

(3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended
Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles
driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet
metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due
to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory
workmanship. If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage,
and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident,
customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion
or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles. For
damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where there
is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty − our
policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne
material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

HI ljordan - I think there are a LOT of us in the same situation that you're in. I stopped by the dealership this morning for the issue on my 2016 Limited. Service writer claimed my warranty for this ended after the 36k mile period - I've got 53k on mine. Going to try another dealer this afternoon. Different people have had varying degrees of success - but we all know it's a WELL KNOWN issue. Ford does not seem to care.

......What are my next steps?

Corrosion protection (since this is corrosion coming from UNDER the paint) is only offered on PERFORATION. That's ridiculous. Vehicle is a 2016, regardless of miles, this would have happened.

Thanks,
Joe
Hi Joe. The first step is to be familiar with what is in your Warranty Guide. The next step is to show the service writer that part where it plainly states; . If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles.

Peter

HI ljordan - I think there are a LOT of us in the same situation that you're in. I stopped by the dealership this morning for the issue on my 2016 Limited. Service writer claimed my warranty for this ended after the 36k mile period - I've got 53k on mine. Going to try another dealer this afternoon. Different people have had varying degrees of success - but we all know it's a WELL KNOWN issue. Ford does not seem to care.

I am done with Ford. Ford customer care has showed me over the last several weeks how they value their customers, which is zero. Soon as I am clear of this Explorer I am going to buy me a Honda Pilot. I have to know Toyota and Honda would have handle this with zero arguments with the customers. I am going to pay the 1/3 to get this fixed and then it is up for sale. One way to keep customers coming back is to keep them happy with good customer care after the sale and one way to run them off is to don't take care of them with lousy customer care after the sale. Don't get me wrong, I love this vehicle, but It makes me wonder what what else is Ford hiding. I mean they have known about this issue since 2004 and the proof of that is the TSB 04-25-1 issued Dec, 27 2004

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi again ljordan - there's another thread - Hood Paint bubble issue only, where moderator peterk9 moved another of my postings to - asking what next steps are after being turned away by the service writer this morning, as he stated - it's out of the 3/36 warranty. Peter points out the same warranty section that you quote - stating it should be handled on 2016 and newer for 5 years, unlimited miles.

Back