2020 Explorer or Aviator? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer or Aviator?

What amazes me is this ridiculous post that is 100% inaccurate in every way possible. If Ford management is doing anything right, it is pricing the vehicles the way they do creating the ridiculous profits they are. Sheesh.. do some research.. it is the high end trims that Ford is selling on the more expensive Ford models.

And if you were to go with a Black Label Lincoln version, you are talking a $15,000 increase in price just with the Black Label trim and customizations from the trim levels below.

Getting people to pay $50,000+ for an at best $35,000 vehicle is a rather amazing feat. And really the Lincolns are ludicrous. A $30,000 Ford Edge sells for $65,000 in MKX guise. Cars come down the same assembly line use parts from the same bins, and Bill Ford laughs all the way to the bank!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Getting people to pay $50,000+ for an at best $35,000 vehicle is a rather amazing feat. And really the Lincolns are ludicrous. A $30,000 Ford Edge sells for $65,000 in MKX guise. Cars come down the same assembly line use parts from the same bins, and Bill Ford laughs all the way to the bank!

I agree but the fact is people are paying for them. Look at the Diesels for example (yes, not an explorer but shows my point), I bought my 07 brand new.. Harley Davidson edition with just about every option for $43,000 (no sales tax).

My 2015 Platinum edition was $69,300 and I paid $62,000 for out (again, no sales tax). So in a matter of 8 model years, the price jumped up $19,000. Granted what is loaded in todays standard are far more then back then but again, people are paying for them.

When the 17s came out, a loaded F350 Platinum pushes $80,000 and a F450 is about $85,000 and again, people are paying for them. I think it is pure stupidity to pay $85k for a truck but people are buying them like crazy.

82,000 trucks sold in March.. $1,800 higher ATPs then the year prior.. so selling more, less money on the hoods, higher profits.. They just keep winning. It isn't always about a sales contest with the other competition.. Ford has taken the sell less for more approach and has been for a while. Higher margins = higher profits even with lower sales numbers.

To drop the higher trims kills the ATPs and Ford would be foolish to do that with any SUV/CUV/Truck.

Blwnsmoke. I know you are part of the info with the Ford Engineers, do you know if their is any update on the sync 3 ?

I have no clue to be honest. I LOVED sync 3 in my mom's fusion that I just brought home to her. The screen speed, voice activation was spot on every time.. never delayed or acted like it had to "think". Many I can't wait to upgrade from MFT despite having very few issues with it lol.

Ironic seeing this thread. Notice how ford can't make Lincoln Navigators fast enough to keep up with demand I'd be curious how many platinum Expeditions are sold vs lincoln navigators this year. It could be interesting. Also as I predicted the lincoln continental is a failure - however I sort of figured that was the point. Hell if it wasn't for rental car sales I suspect the taurus would have already ended production too.

Looks like the bronco is going to come out before the ranger or the new explorer/everest. Which leads me to this question. Is it confirmed in anyway that the next explorer will be the updated everest platform? I sure hope it is - I could use more space without splurging for an expedition and the transit pax van is sad.

it's not RWD or AWD I think that was the bigger failing of the continental. I mean I looked into one - liked most of the idea.

But it's a FWD taurus again, yes you can get it in FWD heavy - AWD. but it's not a Caddy CTS or CT6, It's not a german, or even the Infinity Q - all of which have better driving dynamics - and equal pricing. For the person wanting a luxury sedan - that isn't 70 - it's a non starter.

Conversely for an economical luxury car - the MKZ is an awesome choice - note it sells pretty well.

it's not RWD or AWD I think that was the bigger failing of the continental. I mean I looked into one - liked most of the idea.

But it's a FWD taurus again, yes you can get it in FWD heavy - AWD. but it's not a Caddy CTS or CT6, It's not a german, or even the Infinity Q - all of which have better driving dynamics - and equal pricing. For the person wanting a luxury sedan - that isn't 70 - it's a non starter.

Conversely for an economical luxury car - the MKZ is an awesome choice - note it sells pretty well.
My next choice would be the 2020 Ex or Nautilus (MKX).

My next choice would be the 2020 Ex or Nautilus (MKX).
When the time comes, I will probably trade in for an Aviator. Hopefully it hits the market before I turn 160,000 on the Ex (already at ~123k mi). Mostly would go for the Aviator because I like the Lincoln dealer a whole lot better than either Ford dealer and I am still impressed by our '17 MkC. Looking forward to see the Bronco and new small off-road suv as well. But really just need a 4WD 7 passenger people carrier, I don't need trail capability.

As far as the cars go, I can see ford moving the NASCAR body to the Mustang, keeping the Focus (hot hatch market), killing the Fiesta and Fusion, and limiting the Taurus to the Police Interceptor version. The Continental should be moved to a RWD / AWD platform and be marketed to the fleet / black car service markets again.

I read an article on the Lincoln forum this morning that indicated that the Continental may be discontinued. Lincoln Continental Cancelled?

Peter

Grain of salt... Ford's announcement confirmed CD6. Aviator is being shown at NYIAS on March 28th. Looking forward to seeing it. Will give us a better idea of the 2020 Explorer.

I read an article on the Lincoln forum this morning that indicated that the Continental may be discontinued. Lincoln Continental Cancelled?

Peter

That would make sense because the Continental is literally all compromise and no bite. The Cadillac CT6 is just a better deal. Hopefully the CD6 platform helps improve the brand.

I don't really see the death of the fusion. I think it sells too much globaly and it's tied to the EDGE platform. So it makes sense for both of those to live on the next round.

Taurus if it was to continue -and I sort of wish it would - needs to be re-imagined as the new performance RWD sedan chassis off the current mustang. Such that you have have the mustang - and longer Wheel base - 4 door something (like say a falcon, give it a new name) - then have the lincoln versions of each.

Reason I would cross shop the lincoln model of new explorer - one, for the dollars the current base lincoln's give me the feature set and comfort set I want at a cheaper price than the other tier ford model. and I know they are the same basic devices - the packaging is better. All the lincolns tend to look better than their counterparts - and the dealers are hopefully vetted a bit more. The fact that there isn't one near me speaks volumes. Though I will say the one ford service department as treated me well so far.

blwnsmoke- The 2020 must have a BIGGER transformation or people will start going where, beside Ford won't show the body yet, they will be test new instruments etc.... on the same body and closer to the 2019 Auto show is when they will start showing the new body and lights style. I'm really thinking to go to the Lincoln side or Rover, like the Velar....which is coming out with a sport virgin. I just hope that the 2020 Explorer gets a AWESOME make over !!!!

blwnsmoke- The 2020 must have a BIGGER transformation or people will start going where, beside Ford won't show the body yet, they will be test new instruments etc.... on the same body and closer to the 2019 Auto show is when they will start showing the new body and lights style. I'm really thinking to go to the Lincoln side or Rover, like the Velar....which is coming out with a sport virgin. I just hope that the 2020 Explorer gets a AWESOME make over !!!!

From a member over on the Ford forums that is in the know..

"It's a taught, more svelte version of the current model, without all the packaging limitations of the D3 platform.

They did very well with this one. "

The antenna on that camouflaged one is back to the old shark fin style.

Peter

The pics on lincoln's site of the "aviator" I'm guessing are the first prototype shots. Curious has to how much bigger it really is over the current explorer. ALso anyone know if there's any truth to the rumor that this is going to be the next AL body platform?

The pics on lincoln's site of the "aviator" I'm guessing are the first prototype shots. Curious has to how much bigger it really is over the current explorer. ALso anyone know if there's any truth to the rumor that this is going to be the next AL body platform?
I would think that the one on the Lincoln site would be the vehicle that will be the final model. In fact, it looks very similar, if not identical, to the pictures in the 2020 Aviator thread here. 2020 Aviator

Peter

It will not be aluminum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

based on what?

again rumors abound and the grains of truth are starting to settle in. But the big one that keeps popping up is the idea that new ranger platform is steel and other chassis, with AL body like the F150 platform, and new ranger platform will be new explorer platform. which like it's big brother expedition will be an aluminum body on steel chassis.

should prove interesting. Now another rumor is there will be a steel base unibody chassis with AL parts for the floor pan, roof, and all exterior pieces. again though - will be interesting to see which is true.

follow on showing a bigger explorer with RWD platform - lighter base curb weight - 10sp trans, V6 or I4 power and a hybrid driveline model.

Back