2020 Explorer or Aviator? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer or Aviator?

Nobody wants to spend $55,000 for a $35,000 Ford. But they would happily spend that, and more, if it carried a Lincoln badge. Explorer should top out around $44,000 to $47,000. Anything higher gets moved to the Lincoln stable.

Ford's management is so screwed up it just amazes me.

can't disagree about the management...........why would you drop 2 of the better selling line of cars like the fusion & tarus. just giving Toyota that entire class

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...........why would you drop 2 of the better selling line of cars like the fusion & tarus. just giving Toyota that entire class
According to many articles, Ford is dropping them because they are losing money on them. People are just not buying cars as much as they used to and are changing to Crossovers, SUVs and pickups. Here is just one of the articles on Ford's decision; Ford says cars lose money, so they're gone

Peter

They are only dropping the fusion in NA market - the mondeo will still sell in the EU and whatever their call the pan-asian model.

There will still be a fusion hybrid in the NA market - just not the 4 model variants you see now. Which is a shame sort of because the fusion sport was about close to the device I wanted to buy.

I think the lose money on sedans is a bit overselling it - but they potentially have issues meeting CAFE standard. See if they can't force everyone to buy into the hybrid drive _______ car and they sell a bunch of them - then the base model gas engine type has to increase a good bit in 2 years to keep from penalizing them. That penalty doesn't exist if the same buyers end up in a CUV/SUV device even if it's on the same chassis platform. SO there is some truth the the fact they would lose money on them - in the future. OR you take away all the options and only sell plug in hybrid models. which is close to what they are doing. I still say I'm amazed FCA isn't doing something very similar or even announced it first.

Toyota has a similar issue but they sell a metric tonne of prius based devices - which is their offset. Ford never did sell many Cmax energi's or the other things. Hell have you ever been in an electric focus? I'm not 100% sure they made them but for a week. But I can do to 2 different chevy dealers and drive out in a Volt or Bolt.

Their strategy makes a good bit of sense right up until gas hits 4 dollars a gallon again.

Ford loses money on cars because Ford does not make a decent car... They look good but reliability and quality is trash for their sedans.

quietly looks over to a 2012 fusion owned by a coworker that has never once seen a shop, has 113K on the clock, and other than needing a good clean is in fantastic shape.

But meh. Everyone's mileage may vary. I will say I've heard the taurus reliability sucks specifically on the SHO family which made me worry a tick about the explorer but numbers do show a difference there. I wonder how much of that is also variance in number sold and fleet operation. I mean there's a exterminator company in my town that uses a fleet of explorers - not taurus's.

wait so there's a disagree button now. How have I been missing this?

wait so there's a disagree button now. How have I been missing this?
It's been there as long as the others.:D

Peter

Back