31 Inch Tires on stock 93 Explorer. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

31 Inch Tires on stock 93 Explorer.

The Bearings on the explorer (Dana 35 front) are really close together.

With over sized tires you end up having to maintain them more often. By using a spacer your going to push the centerline of the tire farther out which is even more stress on the bearings than just a wider tire (within reason).

By going to 31"x10.50" tires your already going out about 1/2-3/4" on both sides which helps stability. Moving the tires out via spacers (or changing the rim offset) will just add to the stress. If you're ok with the increase of stress then a different offset on the rim is the better way to go.

~Mark

Man is this true lol. I trash a wheel bearing (always an inside one) about every six months. This is on a daily driver with 33" tires however.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info. This forum has been a wealth of information. I feel like I should pay.

Thanks for the info. I have another question about my tranny. A few weeks ago it wouldn't shift out of 1st until it warmed up and that has since pretty much fixed itself, probably something gumming up the governor. But now there is a delay when I put it in D, more so than before. I wonder whatever was gumming things up has traveled elsewhere in the tranny to cause that delay. I should probably just flush it again and put some good synthetic atf in it. I just flushed it about 6 months ago and used Castrol Mercon 5 in it. I'm praying the tranny isn't going out on me.

I would do a trans service to see if theres any thing in the pan thats unusual like peice of metal or if filters clogged

Any thoughts on a good atf? I was thinking mobil one synthetic or if I could get my hands on some amsoil.

I only run Mobile 1 synthetic as I've always had issues keeping my trans cool (Arizona).

I'm also using it in my tow rig even though it keeps the fluid cooler than the explorer.

On top of mobile 1 synthetic trans fluid I am also running a WIX 515515 (fl1a equiv.) filter between the trans. and the cooler. That way I have a real filter inline since the factory, in pan, filter isn't much more than a screen.

I change the filter in the trans circuit every engine oil change and replenish the fluid in the trans.

~Mark

Now that's a great idea. I know about that AZ heat, I'm from there.
I was actually thinking of installing a triple plate cooler. I read that heat is one of the main causes of the a4ld problems. I have looked into that cheap duralast filter and I saw the screen I thought the same thing, not much of a filter.

Did you use a sandwich oil filter adapter on the wix filter?

Trans Dapt 1028 is the one I have on the Van (tow rig).. I can't remember which brand I have on the X as I got it locally years ago (from a speed shop). It uses the normal ph8a, fl1a, 51515 filter. I use Wix since its one of the better filters out there.

Also, I use 300psi transmission hose for the rubber part of the trans lines.

As for coolers.. I'm using 2 coolers on the Explorer (stacked plate) and one really big stacked plate (trucool brand) on the Van (45,000 btu IIRC)

~Mark

Sounds good. Where did you mount the filter? I was thinking to the frame or bumper behind the license plate would be good.

11/2" washers? What diameter is the inside hole?

Sounds good. Where did you mount the filter? I was thinking to the frame or bumper behind the license plate would be good.

I found a few really old shots of it (still have 32" tires in the pics).. Basically, I moved my Evap Canister and put it on the core support. I didn't want it low enough that I'd catch it on anything and I like it vertical to keep the mess down too.

2019361429_f3c012bd32_z.jpg

Trans filter, top view by maniak_az, on Flickr

2019361815_4dac3f1770_z.jpg

Trans filter, over the tire view by maniak_az, on Flickr

2019362255_423b45ef33_z.jpg

Trans filter side view by maniak_az, on Flickr

~Mark

Got my 15x10 rim and 31s. Completely stock suspension other than some new shocks, does rub at a full turn now wondering how much I need to cut any ideas?

IMG_20180504_141900_538.jpg

I just put 33 11.50 tires on my Explorer so far they haven't rubbed

Got my 15x10 rim and 31s. Completely stock suspension other than some new shocks, does rub at a full turn now wondering how much I need to cut any ideas?

View attachment 158485

Would it rub less on those rims than the stock Rims? I was going to get 31s for my explorer the General Grabber At2's as well. But I need to knownif I should get different rims as well lol

Would it rub less on those rims than the stock Rims? I was going to get 31s for my explorer the General Grabber At2's as well. But I need to knownif I should get different rims as well lol
The rims I got have a 4" backspacing which has them sit a little further out. Only rubs at a full turn actually! I'd assume it's better to have them further out and rub on a bumper rather than the frame. From what I've heard they don't rub at all with stock rims except maybe a bit on a full turn. With the wider rims o haven't had much of a difference from what I read on here but they definitely look mean sitting outside of that fender

Quick answer is I don't think they rub any less or more than the standard width maybe just in slightly different spots but I'd definitely recommend the new rims they have more of a deep dish look which I like better than stock

IMG_20180511_012015_285.jpg

So next question.

31s will likely rub at full lock... But what about up and down? When I'm wheeling or on large rocks or a bit of flexing, probably not serious flexing.

That is my main concern.

So next question.

31s will likely rub at full lock... But what about up and down? When I'm wheeling or on large rocks or a bit of flexing, probably not serious flexing.

That is my main concern.

I haven't had any rubbing on the top except on some of the plastic part of the guard.Honestly if you're gonna at all go off-road and flex you're gonna want a lift

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't had any rubbing on the top except on some of the plastic part of the guard.Honestly if you're gonna at all go off-road and flex you're gonna want a lift

Yeah but at this point in time I need tires primarily.
So either I get 30s or 31s

Back