My 2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 Supercab | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 Supercab

So the first thing I buy and install on the Ranger is wiper blades. lol.
Just did an oil change and air filter and noticed a bung welded on the transmission pan with a drain plug.
Awesome, now I hopefully wont spill it all over when I do a transmission service.
Still have to drop the pan to change the filter but its much better when you can drain the fluid first.
I'll update with a picture of it when it stops raining.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a Dorman transmission pan, they come with a drain plug.

I didn't even know Dorman made trans pans with drain plugs.(until you mentioned it)
Mine definitely looks home made. lol.

I had a nut welded in one 5R55E pan on my 4 door but that transmission bit the dust and is sitting at the back of my garage.

Yeah and they can be had under $40. They have them for the 4r70 and 5r55e

I think I may just order one after looking at this drain plug closer, it looks like it is JB welded or something.
I don't go for that stuff.
I also found out the spare tire is original, check out the last digit in the DOT number....

IMG_2054.JPG IMG_2059.JPG

I also noticed this Evap line missing an attachment(and goo on it). I wonder what goes there?
Gonna look into that later.
The brake line was replaced/bypassed, I knew about that one.

IMG_2060.JPG

Update:
It looks like someone broke the plastic Y fitting and glued it back together. In the process they clogged it up. I tried to blow air into it and it was clogged solid. The hose that was attached to that spot is also plugged up with a bolt, it is on top of the gas tank.
Now this system is for catching fuel vapors as they expand and also allows pressure out of the gas tank while catching the HC's (fuel vapors) in the canister. Fortunately for me there is another Y on that line with another hose going to the top of the fuel tank at the sending unit/pump so pressure can still be vented through the Evap canister. #9 in the diagram is still functional but 3 is blocked off on both ends.
I will replace the whole line since it is plastic and has all these crazy fittings on it. The thing is about $95.00 though so it will have to wait a bit.

I also removed the old brake line and secured the new one better.

Evap diagram.gif

Item Part Number Description
1 9030 Fuel filler cap
2 9C052 Fuel tank pressure sensor
3 9B593 Fuel vapor vent valve
4 9C915 Evaporative emission canister purge valve
5 9F945 Canister vent solenoid
6 9B328 Evaporative emission dust separator
7 9D653 Evaporative emission canister
8 9002 Fuel tank
9 9B593 Fuel vapor vent valve
10 9A244 Fuel filler pipe check valve

Brakes look good, even has drilled and slotted rotors. lol.

IMG_2078.JPG

The 4.0 SOHC has a plastic thermostat housing that often leaks.
I picked up two metal ones for comparison.
I will use one of them and keep the other for a back up or use in another vehicle.
Here is a link to the comparison thread.
4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison

And some pictures...
Simmons Autosports with upper housing removed.
IMG_2118.JPG

Austekk fully assembled
IMG_2116.JPG

Today I received the Kenwood head unit I ordered off eBay and installed it.
It is an old model, DNX 6180.
I like it because it has free traffic built into the Garmin GPS part of the unit.
Also I have an ipod (remember them) hooked up to it as my other three trucks do.

IMG_2139.JPG

I seemed to find a problem with my AC compressor.
Going to have to order a compressor hub. At least it is easy to change, compressor doesn't even have to come out.

IMG_2128.JPG

Update:
I replaced the hub and pulley(with bearing) with the old stock one(6 rib) off my Supercharged 98 2 door Explorer. It was a different style without the rubber cushions(that fail). My 98 2 door has an 8 rib setup now.
The Ranger AC is working fine as of now and it didn't cost me anything but time.
I will monitor the AC system this summer to see if it lasts the whole season.

IMG_2166.JPG

Spark Plug Gap specs according to the Ford PTS website and the label under the hood are .061 - .068
Holy crap, does anyone actually gap them that big?
I am going to gap @ .060 and see how it runs.

That seems too high. I've found .056 to be the sohc sweet spot. Is it flex fuel maybe?

It is not flex fuel but it does say ultra low emissions vehicle somewhere, maybe the label under the hood.
I can remember where I saw it but I was like what? Never heard of an ultra low emissions vehicle being a Ranger.
On the other hand I never really look to see if any vehicle is Ultra low emissions.

I set them to .060 and I will see how it runs. I only installed 4 so far, then it started raining on me.
So 4 spark plugs and 4 wires installed, 2 more to go.

I obtained some wheels like my old 2000 Ranger I used to have, and put 31x10.50 15's on them.
My 2000 had Goodyear Wrangler Authority's on it but this time I went with BFGoodrich All Terrain KO2's

Before and After pics
Maybe I should have washed it first. LOL There is dried grass stuck to the side.

IMG_2028.JPG IMG_2162.JPG

IMG_2028.JPG

IMG_2162.JPG

I like it alot , what are those rims from? im looking for something for my sport trac never mind i googled ,

I had rims just like it on my 2000 Ranger, they were stock.

Just to add a note on the wheels they are one of the very few 15" aluminum wheels that fit the larger explorer sport/ trac and ranger edge front brakes. You should have the 12" rotors factory

That's interesting. I swapped the spindles on my 98 2 door supercharged Explorer(16 inch wheels). Did that to get the 12 inch rotors on there.

My 98 4door still has the 11 inch.

Now this 2001 Ranger, I don't know all the history and it has drilled and slotted rotors. Someone put them on but not me.
They look like 11 inch but who knows, 11 and 12s look similar when they are not side by side.
I will have to measure them.

Just to add a note on the wheels they are one of the very few 15" aluminum wheels that fit the larger explorer sport/ trac and ranger edge front brakes. You should have the 12" rotors factory

Interesting. When did the Ranger get the larger 12" rotors?

I'm about to hunt the larger rear brakes from the 2010/11 Rangers. Those seem to be not supported by aftermarket for special rotors, maybe the short run is why.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting. When did the Ranger get the larger 12" rotors?

I'm about to hunt the larger rear brakes from the 2010/11 Rangers. Those seem to be not supported by aftermarket for special rotors, maybe the short run is why.

The ranger edge came out in 01 and they and the Fx4 ranger were the ones with the larger rotor. Of course the explorer sport and sport trac also got the larger rotors in 01. I believe the regular 4x4 ranger got the 12" rotors factory around 2004.

Back