List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 46 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Hi again ljordan - there's another thread - Hood Paint bubble issue only, where moderator peterk9 moved another of my postings to - asking what next steps are after being turned away by the service writer this morning, as he stated - it's out of the 3/36 warranty. Peter points out the same warranty section that you quote - stating it should be handled on 2016 and newer for 5 years, unlimited miles.

Ah, but you see Ford cleverly worded the warranty to read perforation by corrosion for 5 years or unlimited miles only. The paint is only warrantied for 3 year/36, 000 miles. Ford does not care that the corrosion of dissimilar metals or galvanic corrosion is the reason that paint bubbled up. If Ford cared about it customers, this issue would not be going on 14 later. If Ford really cared about its customers, Ford would have nailed this problem in the getgo and no one would see it again. If Ford or who ever does the repaint is not careful in the cleaning process, you could have the same problem again, and again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, I understand what you're saying. It is sneaky wording for sure. It made for some lively discussions at the office today. Seems to have been written by the lawyers!
I did go back to the same dealer this afternoon, they are open quite late. I tried again with a different service writer (shift change). He told me that he would take pictures of the hood, send them to Ford and see what they would do. It seems very hit and miss depending on who you get to talk with. He took pictures and wrote up a service ticket to push it up the line for a decision. As he was taking pics, I asked about the damage and the process - he said it was clear that no human could do that kind of damage (obviously) and that he's had very good results with Ford replying. "Haven't had one denied yet". If they do approve it, it'll be a new hood, painted in the local shop. Based on the number of visible blisters and feeling along the bottom edge of the hood where MANY more are starting but haven't worked their way up onto the visible section of the lip, I think a new hood is the best way to go. Stripping the old one down would be time intensive for them. I they'd have to sand blast or bead blast it, then seal, fill and paint. Crazy.
On an unrelated note, a friend has a 2017 but he's already installed a thin stick on nick guard. I didn't have the heart to tell him it wouldn't matter, since the damage is coming from bad prep.

Hi Joe. The first step is to be familiar with what is in your Warranty Guide. The next step is to show the service writer that part where it plainly states; . If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles.

Peter

Thanks peterk9, I did try again at the same dealership late this afternoon. This time, a different service writer took pics of the hood and wrote up a service order to pass up the line for Ford to make a decision on what to do. He said in his experience, they usually replace the entire hood and it is shipped to them, painted and installed. (I neglected to ask if it was all under warranty - from the context of the discussion, that was my understanding).

The wording in the warranty is only plain if you read that aluminum section as a stand-alone statement. Taken in context with the rest of the same paragraph it is quite confusing, and makes it sound like you'd need a penetration in order to be considered. (I do realize that's referring to the sheet metal pieces, not aluminum). It seems that a team of lawyers authored it.

Fingers crossed, waiting to hear back from the dealership on Ford's decision.

Yes, I understand what you're saying. It is sneaky wording for sure. It made for some lively discussions at the office today. Seems to have been written by the lawyers!
I did go back to the same dealer this afternoon, they are open quite late. I tried again with a different service writer (shift change). He told me that he would take pictures of the hood, send them to Ford and see what they would do. It seems very hit and miss depending on who you get to talk with. He took pictures and wrote up a service ticket to push it up the line for a decision. As he was taking pics, I asked about the damage and the process - he said it was clear that no human could do that kind of damage (obviously) and that he's had very good results with Ford replying. "Haven't had one denied yet". If they do approve it, it'll be a new hood, painted in the local shop. Based on the number of visible blisters and feeling along the bottom edge of the hood where MANY more are starting but haven't worked their way up onto the visible section of the lip, I think a new hood is the best way to go. Stripping the old one down would be time intensive for them. I they'd have to sand blast or bead blast it, then seal, fill and paint. Crazy.
On an unrelated note, a friend has a 2017 but he's already installed a thin stick on nick guard. I didn't have the heart to tell him it wouldn't matter, since the damage is coming from bad prep.

Well, I hope you all the luck. No sand blasting. Walnut shells or glass bead only and carbon blast will only contaminate the aluminum even more. You see for me, Ford owns this problem, lot, stock and barrel. They created it and are still doing it. The dealerships didn't create it, why should they own it? This makes me wonder what else is Ford hiding they will not own up to and will not take ownership of or accountability and responsibility for?

I have a 2016 black Ford Explorer Sport, manufactured at Chicago plant. I have found two areas that are bubbling and one is already stripped down. I am 2k out of my bumper to bumper. Any tips for my trip to the dealership Monday as I try to address this issue it seams we are all having?

I have a 2016 black Ford Explorer Sport, manufactured at Chicago plant. I have found two areas that are bubbling and one is already stripped down. I am 2k out of my bumper to bumper. Any tips for my trip to the dealership Monday as I try to address this issue it seams we are all having?

Make sure the hood is replaced and painted per the TSB. Soon as I can shed this Explorer, I am done with Ford. A warranty should not have to be written by lawyers just so Ford can get out of standing behind their product. This is sad in so many ways. It makes me wonder what else is Ford not telling us. You buy the vehicle in good faith not thinking or knowing you should have prior aluminum panel corrosion experience before the purchase. Then you buy the vehicle and your warranty reaches 37K miles and you are screwed. Remember the old Ford saying quality is job 1? Well we know that is not so. The galvanic corrosion of dissimilar metals (aluminum & iron) is causing the paint bubble problem, so Ford because of their defects in their manufacturing of the aluminum panels created the paint problem but will not stand behind the problem they created. I like this vehicle a lot but Ford Motor Company has ruined my faith in them as a good company. I don't want to take a chance on throwing the dice hoping I get one of the vehicles that will not corrode. I want to know it is not going to corrode or the know the manufacture is going to stand behind a problem they created. Ford will not let me in on anymore chats about this 2016 Explorer. I have been blocked from any more chats. If you want a good warranty I suggest you buy Toyota or Honda.

Make sure the hood is replaced and painted per the TSB. Soon as I can shed this Explorer, I am done with Ford. A warranty should not have to be written by lawyers just so Ford can get out of standing behind their product. This is sad in so many ways. It makes me wonder what else is Ford not telling us. You buy the vehicle in good faith not thinking or knowing you should have prior aluminum panel corrosion experience before the purchase. Then you buy the vehicle and your warranty reaches 37K miles and you are screwed. Remember the old Ford saying quality is job 1? Well we know that is not so. The galvanic corrosion of dissimilar metals (aluminum & iron) is causing the paint bubble problem, so Ford because of their defects in their manufacturing of the aluminum panels created the paint problem but will not stand behind the problem they created. I like this vehicle a lot but Ford Motor Company has ruined my faith in them as a good company. I don't want to take a chance on throwing the dice hoping I get one of the vehicles that will not corrode. I want to know it is not going to corrode or the know the manufacture is going to stand behind a problem they created. Ford will not let me in on anymore chats about this 2016 Explorer. I have been blocked from any more chats. If you want a good warranty I suggest you buy Toyota or Honda.

I am looking to trade back to Toyota. Wish I never would have left the 4-Runner. The cost of this vehicle and the issues I’m already having are ridiculous. On top of the paint the panels on front doors are pulling off as well.

Dealership called back, the hood is on order and will be painted upon arrival. Time will be set to install. Covered under the warranty as suggested. Thanks!

Hey. My 2017 Ford Explorer xlt is barely a year old. I baby it and keep it clean. I just noticed this under the hood. Can anyone else confirm whether they’ve noticed the same thing under their hoods? One looks cracked and I’m afraid it will rust prematurely. Is it normal or a defect? Thanks

B7223DA7-B126-49B4-9AA4-A8B802947BEE.jpeg

15BFC7A7-CB7D-4278-9286-23A9DAB7DA38.jpeg

Hey. My 2017 Ford Explorer xlt is barely a year old. I baby it and keep it clean. I just noticed this under the hood. Can anyone else confirm whether they’ve noticed the same thing under their hoods? One looks cracked and I’m afraid it will rust prematurely. Is it normal or a defect? Thanks
Your thread was merged with this one found using the Forum's 'Search' function. As you can see, you are far from being alone in having this issue. It doesn't matter how carefully you look after your vehicle since this corrosion is from the inside out. It is covered by warranty.

Peter

Sigh.... it just started on my 2016 Sport too. Just over two years old and 36,500 miles. There are two blisters.

correction: 3 blisters.

So...another one bites the dust. My hood has bubbled up and started chipping away paint. See pictures for reference:

IMG_0236.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0234.JPG

Now, I bought this SUV new, and it has been solid. Unfortunately on my closest dealership I was told that because it has ~ 64,000 miles that I'm SOL, to call the "1-800" and good luck. They did mention that Ford has now started replacing the hoods rather than having them repainted.

Do we have any Ford support here that can help me? I'm near Houston, TX, traveling around 100 miles a day for work, reason for the mileage. It's insane that after 2 years this is happening to the paint. I got a 2011 Mustang in the garage next to this that doesn't have this issues. This will be my second Ford with the exact same issue (had an 05 Mustang with the same paint damage, got it repaired). I've read through many of the threads here, just don't know if the techs are active or if I'm completely screwed. The funny thing is, I traded in a 2011 Explorer XLT for this one, and THAT ONE didn't have this issue. Just my luck.

So...another one bites the dust. My hood has bubbled up and started chipping away paint.
Your thread was combined with this existing one. Unfortunately this is not covered by warranty and you are on your own unless you are still under the factory warranty. Starting with the 2016 models, this is now covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage. As for the Ford reps, they are no longer here. You can try contacting the Ford reps using the info they posted on their replies.
p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford

Peter

I just discovered 2 x 1/4 inch bubble on the lip of the hood on my 2015 Explorer. One on the left and one on the right, both at the exact same location. It has less than 30K miles and is always parked in the garage. Should I be worried that Ford is not going to fix it?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Yes, you should be very worried unless you have some of the factory warranty left. See this post; Hood Paint bubble issue only

Peter

I have a 2017 Explorer Sport and noticed bubbling on the front of my hood. There’s also a spot on my rear hatch door. I’ve had my car two years next month and it has about 18,000 miles on it, so I have some time but I’ll get it in to the dealer right away. I’ll check the roof before I take it, and I guess it’s probably a good idea to inspect the rest of the car as well.

I have a 2017 Explorer Sport and noticed bubbling on the front of my hood. There’s also a spot on my rear hatch door. I’ve had my car two years next month and it has about 18,000 miles on it, so I have some time but I’ll get it in to the dealer right away. I’ll check the roof before I take it, and I guess it’s probably a good idea to inspect the rest of the car as well.
The hood is covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage.

Peter

The warranty on the hood is 5 years, unlimited mileage. There is no perforation required on this warranty for aluminum panels.

Peter

Any updates? Today we just notice paint peeling around the windshield

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same problem. 2016 Explorer Sport. Very disappointed. $50k+ Vehicle and this happens in 2 years?!?!?

Back