Recent content by 08Ex | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by 08Ex

1. 0

2008 Ford Explorer XLT Won't Crank

I think you have an electrical resistance issues which increases with temp. Check your grounds.
  2. 0

2008 Ford Explorer XLT

Patricia this is a shot in the dark. You may have an electrical short. I recall reading the 08's had an issue with the wiring harness on the top of the engine rubbing and wearing away insulation. Do me a favor and check your harness. I believe its on the passenger side where the problem...
  3. 0

2007 4.0L Radiator issue

No comment on the rad grfo but would you please tell me how many miles you got out of your water pump before it started leaking and when it did start did you notice the water coming from the weep hole? Thx AJ
  4. 0

Does 16 psi radiator cap harm the engine

I changed my cap on my 08 Ex to the 16psi cap in 2009 because of all the radiator and thermostat housing issues I've seen on the forums. I now have 98K miles on the odo and haven't had any leak issues.
  5. 0

looking for honest opinions on 5th Gen Ex

Thx again for your honest opinions. Again I stress I am agnostic when it comes to car brands. I currently own 2 Fords and 1 Toyota abut I've owned Chevy and Dodge in the past. After reading your replies there are several deal breakers on the new Gen Ex. First my wife and I like selectable 4WD...
  6. 0

Wow I appreciate all your comments. I honestly didn't expect this many. I will say several comments shocked me. I prefer the normally aspirated 3.5 liter but surprised to see it deliver sub-par mpg. My current 4.0 liter gives me 21.6 mpg avg. Don't like turbos because of the hot environment...
  7. 0

Currently own a 2008 Ex XLT with 4.0 engine and it has been great. Only have 95K miles but thinking of trading her in on a 2017 or 2018 Ex. I'm also thinking about Honda Pilot and Chevy equivalent due to consumer ratings. I see reliability is rated worse than avg for the 17 Ex so that's why...
  8. 0

4.0L Advice/Opinions

I have an 08 EXT with the 4.0 liter and I can tell you its nothing short of great. The 4.0 has more low end torque than my Toyota 4 liter Tacoma and has not caused me any headaches. I'm glad I don't have V8 spark plug issue. I've changed the plugs once already and it was a piece of cake. Any...
  9. 0

How long can it last?

Thank you Guy's! Goes to show you normally hear about the issues and not the success stories. Most folks that have the dependable/reliable trucks never write about them. I'm going to keep the 08.
  10. 0

How long can it last?

2008 XLT 4.0 here. Flirting with hitting 100K on the vehicle and I'm wondering when its a good time to cut it loose. I keep reading about 4.0L problems but haven't experienced any yet. That's why I'm asking the question. I read about rad problems, plastic thermos housing leaks, timing chain...
  11. 0

spark plugs changed

Just replaced the plugs on my 08 4.0 as well. I had 75K on the odo but the gap on each plug was at .06 or more so not a wasted effort. I noticed that the OEM plugs did not look like they were platinum. I did not see a platinum pad on either the center electrode or ground strap. At any rate I...
  12. 0

Spark Plugs

Thank you guys for confirming. 1st set of plugs that I've purchased that didn't have crush washers. Yes I see the plugs have tapered seats but I didn't think that would seal well enough against the head. I guess this is the Ford design. >>AJ
  13. 0

Spark Plugs

Guy's I just ordered autolite iridium plugs for my 2008 Ex(4.0 liter V6). The plugs do not have crush washers on them. For those of you that have changed your plugs would you kindly tell me if they had crush washers on them. Thank you>>AJ
Back