Recent content by 182RG | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by 182RG

1. 1

Changing the Serpentine Belt

No need to remove pulley. It’s tight, but I was able to get a long handled ratchet on tensioner to release pressure. I removed belt and routed new belt from underneath. It’s a 2 person job, and I have lift. Good Luck.
  2. 1

Specific lights 13 limited

I installed the Diode Dynamics HID plug and play HIDs over 2 years ago. They perform flawlessly. SIGNIFICANT improvement over the factory Halogens. I used the add on relay kit. Auto lights function properly. I never get ‘flashed’. Highly recommend. Don’t waste your money on high output...
  3. 1

5w-30

More flow, not more oil pressure is what is important. More flow = more heat dissipated. Using the thinnest oil spec’d is what is best for your engine. Thicker oil does not “lubricate” better. Thicker oil actually creates more heat via shearing vs a thinner oil. This is a researched...
  4. 1

Explorer Towing Capacity

Generally, not for a boat trailer. Most boat trailers have surge brakes, actuated by the coupler on the tongue compressing the cylinder. A WDH runs the risk of impeding brake function, by binding the coupler. Some WDH setups indicate they will work with surge brakes, some do not. The...
  5. 1

PTU and Rear Diff Fluid Change - 2011 Explorer XLT

No. It is not a limited slip diff. I used Amsoil 75W140 in the PTU. I used Amsoil 80W90 in the rear. Do not add modifiers.
  6. 1

Fair 5th Generation Explorer Maintenance Question

102K miles. Fluids, filters, tires, brakes. 10K mile oil changes with full synthetic. Only recalls performed. No other issues, and it's driven every day. I do change transmission fluid every 50K, PTU every 30K, and I flushed out the dark green coolant, and replaced. There is no such thing...
  7. 1

Time for tires

Excellent. I have the Alenzas on the Explorer and Touareg. Performs and wears well.
  8. 1

Oil Change interval

Give up. The "cheap insurance" idiots can't be convinced.
  9. 1

PTU Problems

False economy. A significant part of your $2,000 quote is labor. I doubt they would only replace the seal, but if they could, you'd still be looking at $1,200 - $1,500 since the labor is the same effort to remove the unit, and reinstall. Your fluid is gray. You are on borrowed time. The PTU...
  10. 1

PTU Problems

It is s It is serviceable. I posted a thread on here that detailed how. Do a search. Essentially, you use a Mity Vac to suction out the old fluid through the fill hole.
  11. 1

Towing: Whats the most weight you have towed?

Add 500 lbs of fuel, and 500 lbs of gear. You're more like 6,000 lbs. Boat trailer brakes are generally surge brakes, so no electronic controller required. Just a 7 pin to 5 pin adapter. The Explorer is pretty weak at towing. I wouldn't trust the flimsy 6 speed transmission. I tow a 21...
  12. 1

Transmission, PTU and diff. oil changing / how offen ?

I have the transmission fluid exchanged at 60K intervals. (BG) The transmission filter/screen is inside the unit. You would have to split the case. Not serviceable. PTU, 30K intervals. No longer than this, as it is subject to high heat. I evacuate the fluid, and refill. Rear diff, I did...
  13. 1

HELP! 2011 Explorer new engine?!?!

Yes. If your water pump was leaking internally and diluting the engine oil, it is highly likely that it trashed bearings in the process. Likely the source of your "metal flakes". It just took some extra mileage to catch up to you. Frankly, your dealer did you no favors by just fixing the...
  14. 1

Do you use Oil Treatment Additive for your Explorer ?

No. Waste of money. 6 qts of Mobil 1 5W-20 Full Synthetic can be sourced at discount for $30. I run it for 10K miles. Getting ready to turn 100K miles. Zero issues.
  15. 1

Time for tires

Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L. They are wearing incredibly well, quiet, smooth, and good mixed winter driving performance. I've got them on the Touareg as well, which is 500# heavier. I've got over 40K miles on them on the Touareg, and still have 6/32 tread. The Ex, running 18s, is very easy...
Back