Recent content by 1998rollover | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by 1998rollover

1. 1

5.0 Sport Trac Lives

I think you'd be best off to find a 2001 Explorer or Mountaineer then completely gut the Sport Trac to transfer *everything* electronic, including the wiring. Splice in extensions to the rear for the tail lights. Then you know it's all going to work exactly as it did in the donor, with no...
  2. 1

1999 Mounty 5.0 aka My Great Bad Idea

I don't know why Ford put a cam synchronizer on these. They have the crank trigger. Had a cam synchro physically break its magnetic sensor two times on the same engine and it made not a bit of difference in how it ran. No idea how the thing broke. I just changed the top part of the unit. There's...
  3. 1

1999 Mounty 5.0 aka My Great Bad Idea

You're not transplanting the AWD transfer case to the manual trans? It's so nice in snow, just *goes forward* no muss no fuss. I rebuilt one for a 1997 Mountaineer. There's a couple of minor variants that use slightly different chain and sprocket widths. Had to replace the input shaft which was...
  4. 1

12V Refrigerator or Nice Cooler

The new real refrigerator coolers use a fist sized compressor based on designs made for a canceled US Military project. Since companies had already done the R&D they put them into production for civilian uses. Adam Savage recently used one to build a refrigerated cooling system in a backpack...
  5. 1

Progress on the 2002 Explorer Sport Trac

These ratchets are the ideal tools for R&R on transfer cases for getting to the upper bolts, and other places I've had to work around a corner. Enabled a transfer case rebuild on a 98 Mountaineer without having to remove the exhaust just to get at one bolt. I went up and over from the left side...
  6. 1

22 limited rear camera washer not connected

Sounds like Ford. Offer a bunch of options the first year or two then start taking them away. Like the 1996 Taurus and Sable had a fancy sound system option with a subwoofer that year only. It was gone for 1997. Then they cut more and more off the options list. For 2000 they went so far as to...
  7. 1

Progress on the 2002 Explorer Sport Trac

I figure the best way to ensure everything works properly would be to find a 2001 V8 AWD Explorer or Mountaineer and swap *everything* over, wiring harnesses and all. But that would definitely not support that computer controlled rear window. Been thinking on the possibility of just wiring it up...
  8. 1

How to: Replace Driveshaft CV joint

Nope. No idea what the boot kit part number is for the CV joint on the rear of the front drive shaft for an AWD Explorer or Mountaineer. O'Reilly, NAPA, or Autozone may be able to look it up, if they still can order those parts separately. Unless you can verify that the boot has failed recently...
  9. 1

CV Axle Replacement How To (Pictures)

If you have AWD you don't want to run mis-matched tires. That's how you ruin the viscous coupling in the transfer case.
  10. 1

The ring is on the outside/end of the splined shaft that pokes into the diff. I had no problems taking them out, just a quick pop with a BFS (Big eFfing Screwdriver) and the new ones popped in easy, after I swapped the old ring onto the one.
  11. 1

I had to remove the snap ring from the old axle and use it to replace the one on the new axle because the new one was a cheap POS piece of wire that wouldn't stay tight enough to allow the axle to slide all the way into the diff. With the old ring on it just popped right in.
  12. 1

You may have trashed the new hub's bearings with that short drive without the nut torqued down.
  13. 1

Ford Explorers at the SEMA Show

They did that. It was called the Explorer Sport Trac, which in its first version was V6 only. Despite having a front end nearly identical to the Explorer Sport, the parts are very different. Even the fog lamps that look the same from the outside are completely different units. If Ford had...
  14. 1

Ford Explorers at the SEMA Show

Ford majorly screwed up by never offering the 302 in the 2 door Explorer Sport. Since when does a V6 say "Sport" in any American vehicle? Par for the Ford course along with not offering all the DeLuxe goodies (like dual lighted sun visors) from the Explorer and Mountaineer on the Sport Trac, or...
Back