Recent content by 98GreenLimited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by 98GreenLimited

1. 9

Front Drive Shaft (4406) question

Yeah, I only had it installed for a few hours each time I tested it out. Currently running without the front shaft and there is no vibration.
  2. 9

Update: I got a 1st gen front d.s. last week, put new u-joints & 627 conversion flange, and installed it. I had a vibration starting at about 60 - 65 and getting progressively worse up at higher speeds. I took it out and had it balanced. It was out of balance which made me hopeful that the...
  3. 9

I’ll try a double cardan 1st gen shaft with new u-joints, as SWIGIN suggests. If that vibrates, I’ll get it professionally balanced. If it still vibrates because of the sideways angle at the diff u-joint I might have found another option besides AVM hubs. 96 – 98 Jeep Grand Cherokees with the...
  4. 9

I wish I had seen your other posts before spending time and money on single cardan shafts and new u-joints.
  5. 9

I put a new trans mount in when I did the swap, but we'll see how long it lasts. I wish there was a bolt in poly mount.
  6. 9

I might have to go that route if I don't get something cheaper to work.
  7. 9

Just curious after reading the post above, do you have new u-joints in your double cardan shaft? Did you get it balanced? I think the conversion flange might be enough to throw it out of balance. An adapter similar to this?
  8. 9

My front driveshaft findings: the 97 and 98 4.6 F150/Expedition front driveshaft is about an inch longer than the 99-03 front driveshaft when fully compressed. Figured it out after crawling under half a dozen of these at the junkyard. I also noticed the later model driveshaft has a boot/bellows...
  9. 9

Good to know, thanks. I'm debating on the first gen double cardan shaft VS the F150 single cardan. Do you have a preference?
  10. 9

I took a pic of the door sticker so I could double check the VIN and trans code, to verify that I'm not crazy. VIN 8th digit is W -> 4.6 motor. Transmission code U -> 4R70W.
  11. 9

Don, did you have yours made from a 1st gen shaft?
  12. 9

Thanks Jon! Thanks Don! It looks like mine is at least an inch longer than yours, Jon. Mine is 35" fully collapsed, but yours must be a little shorter than 34" collapsed to get it in there. Looks like there are two different sizes of 4.6 front driveshafts. The one I have is from a 97 or 98...
  13. 9

I'm having the same issue as delexplorer - the front driveshaft from a 4.6 F150/expedition is a little bit too long. Wondering why it works for some and not for others? I read somewhere that the later explorers had the engine/trans set back a little further. Is that true? I have an early 98...
  14. 9

oil cooler leaking, options?

Wow, nice find! I wish I had know about this when I swapped out my oil cooler - looks a lot easier. I replaced mine with Ford Performance Parts Oil Filter Adapter M-6880-A50 and male-to-male thread screw in adapter at the block, like PN ALL92003 (I got mine at the dealership and don't know the...
  15. 9

Poll: does your 4406 swapped explorer have a driveline vibration?

Its charcoal green metallic, paint code T3. I love that green, too. I can't seem to find a picture of it clean and shiny, because it rarely is. First pic is next to a black 98, second is racing on Georgetown Lake. Are you going to do the swap to your 98 or 99/93?
Back