Recent content by Adam_tinkerer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by Adam_tinkerer

1. A

How many people have issues with their rear hatch gas shock supports in cold weather?

Here in NC, you can expect a few cold snaps, and that'll test your struts every time! A few years ago, when there were a handful of vans at pull-a-part every trip, I'd check any that had the hatch open. If there was decent resistance, I'd buy them. But as supplies dwindled, I just cut a 1x2"...
  2. A

1997 2WD Aerostar with a slow, rhythmic shudder while driving.

That's a tough one! I had a similarly tough time finding the cause of a code PO300 'random engine misfire' in my '98 Pontiac Bonneville. A few years back, it got so bad, I gave in and took it to the dealership. They found a cracked spark plug, and a loose plug wire on another cyl. And I'd...
  3. A

Lift points for the Aerostar.

That seems a bit overkill, a regular floor jack does the job. When lifting the front, you want to center on the crossmember, and at the rear, from the differential. I upgraded to a low profile 3 ton from Harbor Freight last spring, when I had to drop the fuel tank on my Bonneville. In a shop...
  4. A

How to: Replace a thermostat in an Aerostar.

I'm going to add that most of the aftermarket thermostats aren't very long lived. I replaced mine, and within a year or so it wasn't working properly. I found nos Motorcraft versions on ebay, bought two just in case. I haven't replaced it yet, I started a new job last August, and got a co. work...
  5. A

Solved Watered down gasoline from a local service station.

My former boss filled his almost new diesel F250 with gas once. He liked to partake of certain herbal substances which was likely a factor!! Lucky for him, he didn't kill the engine, just an expensive dealer flush!
  6. A

Solved The speedometer & odometer suddenly stopped working in my 1993 Aerostar.

From what I've heard, the odo resets to 300K again instead of 400. My '95 made it to 391K, but a likely burnt valve and massive oil leak kept it from going much farther!
  7. A

From frustration to relief today.

You made out better than I did the winter before last. Caved the front of the roof, and knocked the ds mirror off. Not much one can claim on an unregistered parts vehicle! At least nothing I needed was damaged!
  8. A

Has anyone here ever replaced an Aerostar headliner?

That's interesting, I don't think I've seen many Aeros here in NC with that problem. GM cars, like our '98 Bonneville, and the Cutlass Ciera and Buick Century that preceded it, were a different story! Since the Bonnie has a black interior, I thought eventually I'd just take the liner out, remove...
  9. A

Here's an article about a 1997 Aerostar which is for sale.

That was a sweet rig! CL ad has been deleted, so someone scooped it up!
  10. A

My Aerostar has a continuous warning chime.

Mine did that, I just unplugged the module. Only thing I miss is the headlight reminder.
  11. A

Transmission swap.

Yes, eventually.
  12. A

Transmission swap.

Thursday the 29th was a bad day. Had yo have a tooth extracted, and then tried to get a couple hours' work in. On the ride home, trans started slipping badly. Pulled over a couple times to check fluid, it was leaking, but not low yet. Finally, I got within walking distance of my neighborhood...
  13. A

I have a coolant leak.

Removed everything on the front of the engine to get the timing cover off. Also replaced timing chain while it was apart. Had to rent a few different pullers to remove and reinstall the fan clutch and harmonic balancer. Mine leaked on the driver side, and mostly got the ps pump and hoses wet.
  14. A

I have a coolant leak.

If it's a 3.0, they'll leak from the top of the timing cover, where the water pump bolts through. Went thru that this time last year!
  15. A

Updates on all 3 Aerostars!

Bad miss, believe it's a burnt valve. Rear main seal failed, pours oil. Drive band in trans broke. Body trashed due to running off the road because of a failed ball joint at 65 mph! Rear wheel bearing about to go, front brakes ground to metal, alignment off... The list goes on, but those are the...
Back