Recent content by 84FLH | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by 84FLH

1. 8

Why is my front driveshaft CV joint smoking?

Ya know, C420, I wasn't really confident in the guy who replaced it. But I broke down at work and his shop was right across the street, so there I went. 99% is a good rating for that Dana-Spicer. I meant to look for a driveshaft place but haven't yet. Been driving without front driveshaft...
  2. 8

Thank you. Did you have the u-joint or CV joint replaced?
  3. 8

Put about 50 miles on since pics taken this afternoon. Not a sound from the t-case. Relief at last!
  4. 8

Added another odo shot. "Long distance" view.
  5. 8

WHAT COINCIDENCE! 397,397 miles. I DON'T BELIEVE IT but there it is! And no, I didn't mess with odo. Don't know how to and why would I do that? To get kudos on Explorer Forum!?!?! About passenger side damage. Kid ran stop sign entering from right in 2022. I swerved to avoid him but he...
  6. 8

Thanks for the pictures, Wolfgang! Nice big ones for my old eyes, too! I had t-case fluid drained and replaced 4 weeks ago. Shop saved fluid for me so I could look for nylon particles/shavings that would indicate nylon bushings on fork rod were shot. Haven't yet looked at the oil yet...
  7. 8

Thanks, Wolfgang. The t-case has an oil pump? Is it located outside or inside t-case? There's a lot of fluid leak on back of t-case where rear driveshaft exits t-case. What's that indicate? Thanks again.
  8. 8

PS. With 397,x.. miles I just may run w/o front driveshaft until I find a replacement vehicle. Or until winter approaches, LOL. Local parts yard has t-case with same part number as on my t-case tag. Said 85, 000 miles on it. Price is $125. Might go look at it this week, just in case...
  9. 8

HOLY SMOKES, everyone!! I didn't get any notices of all your posts!! I'd have responded pronto if I did! Really do appreciate everyone's input. Here's the latest SNAFU. First, the part in question is the cv joint at front of t-case, not u-joint at front diff. Second, yesterday (Friday...
  10. 8

Thought I think the stuttering was because something was impeding the front driveshaft from freely rotating. The question is, what was causing that impeding? I guess t-case, front diff, and transmission. T-case? I dunno. If t-case were bad it wouldn't let car drive up to 35 mph like I did...
  11. 8

Lack of grease: Mechanic said he packed bearings heavily with grease. Incorrect install: There's only 6 bolts holding u-joint to t-case but maybe someone screwed it up. After the stuttering incident, vehicle drove without stuttering 1/2 mile at 35 mph to exit ramp. Whenever hit 35 mph...
  12. 8

Hey everyone. 2000 Mountaineer. 397,677 miles. Orig t-case and transmission. Appreciate everybody's input on this problem. Thank you. The Situation Today a shop replaced the front d/s u-joint. They used a NAPA part, which they said was made by Dorman. I'd driven about 7 miles at steady...
  13. 8

Does this mean my t-case is going bad?

Update Local bone yard has YL24-7A194-AA t-case with 88,000 miles for $125. It's on hold for me, pending the mechanic's exam of my current 396,000 mile t-case. Mechanic will flatbed the Mounty tomorrow to his shop for Thursday inspection. Tonight I rotated by hand the front driveshaft with...
  14. 8

Does this mean my t-case is going bad?

"Kablooey". Mel Gibson to Danny Glover about SF bomb type, in Lethal Weapon. If I lived close in ID you'd have the job. Hope to visit Craters of Moon and River No Return in two years.
  15. 8

'00 5.0 AWD/Auto transfer case-ft driveshaft clank

410; Front d/s is original to vehicle. Has 396,x.. miles. The BW 44-05 Control Trac t-case also orig to vehicle. Front d/s CV joint replaced last year by so-so shop. Don't know what brand CV joint used. Probably cheapest they could get. 29-30 degrees out with 10-15 mph gusts. Too cold to...
Back