Recent content by Andy.J | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by Andy.J

1. A

Spark Plug job on Explorer Sport 3.5L Ecoboost

I replaced my plugs on the EB last year. WAY easier than I expected. No need for a Haynes manual, I followed the same video Peter posted earlier. Here's a few things I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014ZVSVK https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AL8VD2...
  2. A

3.5L Ecoboost Owners - What MPG are you getting?

13 Sport... 14.7 - 15.8 MPG. Higher octane gives a very slight increase, tried non-ethanol (87) and it made no difference. I'm mostly commuting an Atlanta traffic so it's going to be lower. I mostly use 93 now for the performance increase (Increase seems quite minor TBH) I don't pay attention...
  3. A

LED Headlight Conversions

I purchased these 9005 LED's 3 weeks ago and highly recommend them to anyone who's considering replacing their miserable dangerously dim unsafe for driving and night fireflies in a jam jars stock halogen bulbs in their projector headlights. Pros: Amazingly bright, also a very minor con. Totally...
  4. A

Rust!

I've not got this issue on my Explorer, but have had it on a lot of my older cars. If it's only light to moderate surface rust it's a fairly simple fix, especially as it's in quite a forgiving area in terms of fixing/spraying/hiding. Similar to what Mlarv5 said earlier, I would wire wheel it...
  5. A

Can the backup camera cover be replaced?

A stronger cleaner may actually make the clouding problem worse. I have polished acrylic before with cutting compound and/or 2000 grit wet-or-dry. It may not work in that small of a recess (and assuming the lens cover is acrylic) but I would certainly try it before purchasing a new unit.
  6. A

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

I looked online to confirm the water pump on my 2013 sport, it's part# PW533 (8501). It states "Usage: 09/04/2012 - 09/10/2018" so hopefully it's the revised version of the one in the photos above, but I guess the question is does it use the same bearings (assuming that is the failure point)
  7. A

Rear windshield washer / need more than 5...10 sec. to start...

Just a stream on mine which dribbles towards the wiper start position, so it kinda works OK. Mine also takes about 5 seconds to work of not used for some time.
  8. A

transmission fluid smell at idle

From what I read the fluid smells really bad when old, not sure if worse through overheating, but would assume so. The vent hose looks really easy to change but is a complete b***h to change in my experience, I have still not changed my fluid as I simply could not get decent access to the drain...
  9. A

transmission fluid smell at idle

Just a thought, but have you checked the vent hose connection at the the top of the PTU? I just replaced mine with 2 foot of fuel line (per the great write-ups on PTU fluid changes) and was amazed how easily the original vent hose came away from the nipple, it practically fell off as there was...
  10. A

XLT vs Limited vs sport

Sport for me. I test drove each trim level and the sports power and looks completely sold me, and this video:
Back