Recent content by Autimous | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by Autimous

1. A

advice needed - do I sell my Explorer or drive it 3000 miles?

Here's my dilema: About a year ago I bought a 1997 4.0 Eddie Bauer 2wd, which now has around 140k on the clock. I've had no trouble with it, it's had a tranny fluid change in the last 4000 miles and some new shocks as well as the 3000 mile oil/filter changes. I think I've looked after this...
  2. A

Clunking noise while braking/starting from stop.

I think it's your rocker arm bushings. Had mine done and that fixed the same problem/noise.
  3. A

Explorer shuddering after tranny fluid change

thanks all, I've taken your advice and I'll let you know how I get on.......
  4. A

OK so I need to add some more information in order to get the crux of this........... As I said I did the change and so went on a test drive. ONLY in the final gear (OD or 5th or whatever it is) does the shuddering occur. When I'm cruising along at roughyl 60+ and it changes gear it's...
  5. A

Thanks for the advice. I've now changed the filter and fluid again, this time using Mercon/Dextron III so hopefully I got it right this time.
  6. A

Thanks. The problem is when I'm driving along at highway speeds. When i'm trying to go up a hill, or at the point where the car tries to change gear I feel something that I would describe as a shudder?!?!? I'm fairly confident that it's not engaging the O/D gear correctly, but then this is my...
  7. A

Does anyone have anything else to offer????? If I'm understanding correctly, given time the fluid will circulate properly and the jumping that I'm experiencing on highway driving will be gone. Any thoughts on whether I'm safe to drive it? Thanks
  8. A

So in a nutshell, I should change the fluid (again) and the filter?
  9. A

This related to a 91 4x4 Eddie Bauer with about 211k. The tranny was alegedly rebuilt last year. So here's the thing.... I changed the oil/filter, and also the transmission fluid. As I'd previously changed the tranny fluid and filter a few hundred miles ago, I decided to just change...
  10. A

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

Thanks dude, that was so helpful. I'm new to the SUV's (coming from Britain where fuel costs are too expensive for common folk like me to afford to run one). Took mine off, and followed the instructions. The bush had disintegrated so replaced it with a hose. Still not working though, but...
  11. A

Transfer case removal??

Hi, I found this site whilst trying to work out why my X wouldn't start, and have since found myself coming back here just to learn. This place is amazing. Now Iv'e buttered you all up, how easy is it to remove a transfer case for someone who is not overly confident doing things for the...
Back