Recent content by aypanthony | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by aypanthony

1. A

How to adjust ATF level

There is a drain plug on the transmission.
  2. A

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

I always wondered if the TC tensioner applies too much tension on the WP causing the WP bearing to deflect and ruin the seal prematurely.
  3. A

I am not sure better oil will prevent the TC tensioner from premature failure or help prevent some timing chain stretch.
  4. A

Yeah, could be. I think people have to pay attention to 2 things relating to this issue. Coolant levels, and start up noise. I think a lot of people ignore the start up timing chain rattle, thinking it's normal.
  5. A

From my understanding, the coolant side bearing seal of the WP fails allowing coolant to first enter the bearings, then the oil side seal fails, allowing coolant to enter engine oil. Once the WP coolant side seal fails, the cascade of failure is pretty quick, since the coolant system is...
  6. A

A/C Rear Line Leak

add me to the list for the AC Line leak near the rear evaporator.....Im going to bring it in to my local mechanic to see if he can splice, or solder it. If not, he will have to replace the line.
  7. A

Water Pump Re-Design

this might be a silly question, but is the WP bearing sealed? Im just curious how it is lubricated.
  8. A

2013 Limited Headlights

FYI, you can go with 9011 bulbs which are brighter. You just have to trim the tabs slightly to make them fit in the 9005 socket. I made this change and saw a good amount of additional brightness. Best halogen headlight bulbs, 9005 or 9011?
  9. A

PTU Problems

Around 87k now. I'll probably change the PTU fluid again soon.
  10. A

PTU Problems

Just to expand on your thoughts and my experience, we purchased our 2013 with 67k miles on the odo. Pretty early after we owned it, I would smell the telltale propane like smell. I even think I saw a black drip of oil on the garage floor. After researching the issue, I was pumped out the PTU...
  11. A

PTU Problems

Once the fluid goes bad, it turns to sludge and overheats easily. It tends to start spitting out the vent hole once it starts going bad. A lot of people don't notice this happening before the PTU destroys itself. Luckily, royski might have caught it early enough that the PTU wasn't damaged...
  12. A

Water pump failure

Im not thrilled to see a few 2013s with failed water pumps. I was hoping the updated pump/gear/timing chain was going to help mitigate the failures. I guess we will see if this trend continues.
  13. A

2011 3.5L misfire cylinder 2 and 6

Not sure what dealer means by "adjusted programming for cam sensor". When you go in, get detailed info.
  14. A

Loud grinding on hard braking

You could hear the bad grinding during hard stops or multiple consecutive stops. During regular driving, it wasn't really apparent. It was frustrating at first because the pads had plenty left, but I never had considered a hole in the rotor. I finally just decided to do a full brake job with...
  15. A

Loud grinding on hard braking

Another uncommon/strange thing to consider. I have a 2013 Ex that had a grinding sound on braking. As it turns out, the front rotor had a rust hole. The hole was on the inner side of the rotor, so it was hard to see. Make sure you look and or feel both sides of the rotor.
Back