Recent content by BearHug | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by BearHug

1. B

94 Bearhug survival thread

Yeah, I hear you. Got aligned by another shop about two years back. Drives fairly straight but still getting some tire wear on the tread closest to the car. the steering wheel is just barely off kilter too. Also alot of play in the steering wheel which has been an issue ever since I bought it...
  2. B

Long overdue update: The old reliable 94 is still running strong and is my daily driver. Still has a a rear main leak, le meh. Been a few years since I posted so thought I'd put up some fun updates: -Billet grille installed - New 94 specific headlights with built in DLR and clear corners. Looks...
  3. B

Correct MAF adapter size for cone filter? And hunting down the aftermarket headlight assemblies

This is a two part inquiry: 1) What is the correct size for the MAF adapter/filter thing needed to attach a cone filter? I've searched other threads but most of the links to parts are dead so hoping someone can enlighten me here. 2) Anyone had luck tracking down aftermarket explorer headlight...
  4. B

Overdue update: Got the right side mile marker on. With the help of some tiny laptop repair tools I have was able to extract that stubborn locking key on the stock assembly -- small enough to fit around the locking key but strong enough to give me leverage to pull. Threw it in the trash...
  5. B

Ha! Driving up a steep hill can take some patience. Gas mileage nothing spectacular. 10-12 mpg in the winter on studded 31s, and 13-14 in the summer on stock 29s -- mostly city. On the highway I can sometimes hit 15 if I'm lucky :thumbsup:
  6. B

Think it's actually 3.27 but I'll have to double check on that. I consider myself lucky I've not encountered any transmission issues yet (at 133k). Still shifts like butter. Got a three day weekend coming up so planning to do some little odds and ends on the Explorer. Have a fun idea/project in...
  7. B

May EF Lottery

I remember when I missed my light at an intersection because this Explorer was blowing smoke like it was about to explode. Had to wait for the fog to pass before safely proceeding:
  8. B

Interesting parts find! Ordered a Lund brand Cold Front (grille insert) off Ebay for $20 (after shipping). No need at the moment, but thought it was a nifty find.
  9. B

UPDATE: It was definitely NOT the driver's side hub. Pulled to clean, but didn't change anything. Went ahead and procured some manual Mile Markers. While attempting to swap the front right hub noticed the cam assembly had snapped -- this was the cause of the grinding sound. The locking key for...
  10. B

It’s definitely the driver’s side hub. When I engage the 4wd the squealing sound disappears — only seems to happen in 2wd. Any idea why that is? If driving in 2wd I’ll hear a whirring sound — like a baseball card in spokes — and then it will make a jarring pop sound/sensation and the whirring...
  11. B

A few photos from the trip: https://imgur.com/gallery/Oy7Hb
  12. B

Updates from the Alaska winter Hi all, It’s been a while but thought I’d give y’all an update on how the explorer has gotten through the winter: · BIG UPDATE: FRONT DIFFERENTIAL LEAK GONE!: While examining the differential I noticed the breather hose was connected to some kind of metal...
  13. B

First hiccup of the winter: The turning signal flasher went out. Turning signal lights worked fine but wouldn't blink -- on the dash the turning light would stay solid instead of blinking. Replaced the flasher -- located in the fuse box under the steering wheel -- with a Novita Hazard Warning...
  14. B

It's on there pretty good. Been using full synthetic and changed at about 3,000 so not too concerned about the filter. Will probably do next change a little sooner though. Appreciate the input.
  15. B

Got around to the oil change, but my oil filter wrench grew some legs and walked off -- will put off til next change to take a look at the leak coming from there. Checked my front differential and fluid level has stayed the same for a few months now. I initially thought the RF seal was leaking...
Back