Recent content by Brain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by Brain

1. B

Happy Birthday Glacier991!

:D Happy (slightly-belated) Brithday!!
  2. B

Brake issue I just can't track down

WARNING FOR '91 and '92 EXs If you have a '91 or '92 EX, please heed the following warning: The manuals all say that if any portion of the RABS fails, that normal (non-anti-lock) braking will still be available. That is not ALWAYS the case. I almost rear-ended a little lady in stop-n-go...
  3. B

How to: Project Frankentranny - A4LD / 4R55E / 5R55E Hybrid Project

Thanks. No doubt I'm not the first person to get sidetracked from a project because of other things life throws out. First 100 miles down and the wheels are still spinning! Glacier- you have been one busy bee since these posts started. Real nice job on the other writeups.
  4. B

How to: Project Frankentranny "AKA" A4LD / 4R55E / 5R55E Hybrid Project - A MUST READ!

Thanks. No doubt I'm not the first person to get sidetracked from a project because of other things life throws out. First 100 miles down and the wheels are still spinning! Glacier- you have been one busy bee since these posts started. Real nice job on the other writeups.
  5. B

rpm' are high

I would probably pull off the intake air tube at the intake manifold (one hose clamp) and visually confirm that the throttle plate is closing completely (not stuck open because of some debris lodged in there or the throttle cable not letting it close off).
  6. B

How to: Project Frankentranny - A4LD / 4R55E / 5R55E Hybrid Project

IT LIVES!!!!! :D I know I haven't updated/responed to any of the posts here in many months, but I started a new job this past spring and this project fell back on my list of priorities, until it came back to the top of the list with a vengence. My four-vehicle family was down to a single...
  7. B

How to: Project Frankentranny "AKA" A4LD / 4R55E / 5R55E Hybrid Project - A MUST READ!

IT LIVES!!!!! :D I know I haven't updated/responed to any of the posts here in many months, but I started a new job this past spring and this project fell back on my list of priorities, until it came back to the top of the list with a vengence. My four-vehicle family was down to a single...
  8. B

Whats the length of an 4wd A4LD?

For earlier ones it is six, for later ones it is eight...here's my '92: The blue bolts are so close to each other that a thick impact socket won't fit.... There is a crank spacer between the back of the crankshaft and flexplate:
  9. B

O2 sensors

OBDII systems use the O2 sensors as a feedback loop to change the amount of fuel being delivered by the fuel injectors. The early Explorers only had one O2 sensor before the pre-cat and things were controlled by that single sensor. I think you would have a tough time getting the engine to run...
  10. B

Changed the Tranny valve body gaskets-Results

I was under the false assumption that Kingkobra had read the thread and knew that we were talking about issues arising from not having a full converter charge (PRE-filling the torque converter) when repairs have been made that let some of the fluid in the TC leak out (such as removing the valve...
  11. B

Transmission overheat?

Has it been checked for a crimped cooling line?
  12. B

Changed the Tranny valve body gaskets-Results

So King....how do you propose to fill the top half of a TC that hasonly the snout in the middle to get fluid in and out? Are you saying that there is some way of getting the air out and the fluid in with a pump or something??? I'm really curious to know how YOUR shop does it.
  13. B

Which tranny ????

'91-'94 came with the 4.0L version of the A4LD. '95-'96 came with the 4R55E (4-speed electronic control)....probably the weakest of the three designs. '97+ came with the 5R55E (5-speed electronic control). Adds an over-driven first gear to get a new gear between the 'old' first and second...
  14. B

Newby Transmission Help

Let me address the second question first....I don't know if we are completely on the same page as to the seals that would need to be replaced. There are two seals - one at the back of the TC (a large seal that requires partial disassembly of the transmission to replace) and small one that is on...
  15. B

Transmission overheat?

All of the clutch frictions and both bands could be toast, and once the fluid reaches a certain temp, it loses it's ability to lubricate (just too thin to seperate the surfaces) so any bushings and bearings could also be toast. Rubber and plastic seals also hate high temps. All in all, if it...
Back