Recent content by Capt. K-9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by Capt. K-9

1. C

4 cylinder engine swap?

FORD HAS NOT MADE A 4 CYLINDER EXPLORER UNTIL RECENTLY. THAT SAID, THE 2.3 4CYLINDER WOULD FIT, YOUD NEED A DONER TRUCK TO GET ALL THE CONNECTIONS/HOSE/WIRING RIGHT ETC. iT WOULD LIKELY GET THE SAME MILAGE AS THE 6. YOU MAY FAIR BETTER WITH A V8 SWAP... BEEN DONE THAT ROAD, HIGHWAY ECONOMY...
  2. C

2.0 eco rattle

Assuming average skill level...having the axle out, the hub also out of the way. Big help... especially if your one handed... But then again I’m old, turbos didn’t exist in cars when I was turning wrenches for a living... except in some really old stuff like Packard and the monsters of the...
  3. C

2.0 eco rattle

Axle must come out. No special tools, be sure to replace the axle but and trans seal when reassembling. Drain and measure trans fluid, should not be more than 6 Quarts, but you don’t want to over fill during reassembly, there is no way to tell how much it has in it. Coolant reservoir is...
  4. C

2.0 eco rattle

New turbo forced a couple sensor replacements within a few hundred miles, not surprising. We have put a few thousand miles on it, switches to running premium fuel and drivability has definitely improved, gas miliGe is better than ever, nearly 2 miles to a gallon average. Total cost was 1500...
  5. C

2.0 eco rattle

It would be a long video Would not attempt it if you don’t have mechanical skills and some solid experience, If you do it yourself take the cold air plumbing completely off, the strut brace will need to be removed. Drain the engine violent, engine oil and the transmission (taking care to...
  6. C

2.0 eco rattle

Yes, ours was shattered, trans seal was a mess, dog bone ditroyed from fluid leak degrading the rubber, and the crazy issues the wiggling axle created. Could have been bad.
  7. C

2.0 eco rattle

Turbo done, runs great, 500 miles later...now I have a code 144C. Still runs great, but it is a hard code I can’t reset. Evaporative system... not sure how to approach it Thoughts?
  8. C

I'm stumped

If not replacing the pressure plate, which I choose last time, you can and should have a shop turn both the flywheel and pressure plate... nice clean and true... I’d turn the flywheel anyway Also, while the trans is down, replacing the u joints is easy.
  9. C

PO144C

help Just did a quick Google on code PO144C and got to very different corrective actions, - evaporative emission system purge check valve performance - down stream O2 sensor (high voltage) We have an 2013 Explorer 2.0 eco boost motor with 120,000 miles on it. I recently replaced the Turbo...
  10. C

2.0 eco rattle

Turbo out! Couldn’t upload the video... same as yours though... did not have to drop the engine, but did a lot of disassembly. I have 8 hous in this project and likely have 4 more Thank you all for the help. Pray this works... mama is already pissed that she isn’t getting a new car, and...
  11. C

2.0 eco rattle

Guessing that would require pulling the trans. (Torque converter drain). Right? Doesn’t look bad since the axle is out. Fluid looked real bad, Ford “flushed” it t 60000 had it drained by a service station at 90000, near 120000 now. Saw a recommendation that 30000 is good overkill. Plan...
  12. C

2.0 eco rattle

So I’m an hour into the turbo swap... needed to pull the axle to gain access only to find the shaft support bracket busted.. seal blown. Praying the trans is ok. Turbo is going to be a ***** to get out...not even sure I can gain enough access with the engine installed... more to follow 6F35...
  13. C

2.0 eco rattle

Ordered the turbo and all the lines and gaskets plan to swap it next week. I bet dinner the waste gate has the same issues.... Appreciate the info and will post the findings and results
  14. C

2.0 eco rattle

Exactly what I thought it was but Ford tech wanted to change a Bunche of emissions sensors and retest (there were codes). But nothing made sense so to told my wife to live with it That did not go well. I take it the valve was beyond repair? Didyou install the new turbo yourself? Was it new...
  15. C

2.0 eco rattle

Yes the pitch changes consistent with vibration Worst at idle. It also comes and goes, like yesterday I had it up on a lift with a better stethoscope and I could not get it to rattle at all (changing RMP and taking it in and out of gear However, on the exhaust side of the Turbo housing I...
Back