Recent content by CarlosHRNYC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by CarlosHRNYC

1. C

How many miles will an explorer go for?

I just finished rebuilding my tranny at 178K. Same thing, 2nd and 5th would flare. When I opened it up, my overdrive and sun gear were shot! I wound up boring out the servos and inserting brass bushings while I had it open. She's got a second life now!
  2. C

Anyone have experience with installing a tranny rebuild kit?

I'll pm you when I get home from work.
  3. C

Transman304: It was an educational experience and yes, I did enjoy it. The hardest part was getting the damn thing out with all the rusted bolts on the crossmember. They all broke off so I followed one of the YouTube posts,banged them out with an air chisel & replaced with heavy duty bolts from...
  4. C

UPDATE: I just wanted to thank transman304 and BrooklynBay for helping me throughout my transmission rebuild. I am happy to say that I am back on the road! Sorry for the delay since my last post but I had to take a break from my project due to personal commitments mid April through May. All in...
  5. C

How many miles will an explorer go for?

You guys give me hope. I have an '04 XLS with 129K on it. Just finishing up my tranny rebuilt as my overdrive planet exploded. Can't wait to get her back on the road for hopefully another 100K!
  6. C

Humming noise

Like loosenut says. Probably a wheel bearing. Not a hard job to do. I did my front passenger side 2 years ago when I got that "hum" as you describe.
  7. C

Update: I figured I'd give everyone a heads up as to where I am on my rebuild. Last weekend, I drilled new servo bores and fitted them with brass bushings I ordered from Rotunda. This weekend I reassembled my transmission following Hiram Gutierrez' youtube videos on the 5R55S teardown and...
  8. C

Yes, it's the Northland Transmission kit. It has the drill bits and guides. I got a used kit off of eBAY
  9. C

Hi guys, Just figured I'd give an update on where I am with my rebuild. I did the Superior shift kit without any problems. Changed all my seals My new Overdrive Planetary and Sun Gears came in so I'll swap the old ones when I put her back together New Torque Converter arrived I also ordered a...
  10. C

2005 Ford Explorer not starting

Great point Joe in NY. Follow the connection all the way to the starter itself.
  11. C

2005 Ford Explorer not starting

As silly as this may sound, make sure your battery cables are connected securely. This happened to me a few years ago when I stopped for gas. Tried to start it after fill up and I got what you got. After troubleshooting for over 30 minutes I finally gave up and called in AAA. The guy came in and...
  12. C

Awesome! By the way, how do I post pics on here? I yry but I must be doing something wrong .
  13. C

These are all great tips. I'll be sure to add this to my checklist. And yes, I had cooler line flush on my list of things to do so I'm glad to see I'm on the right path. As far as tools, what I don't have in my shop, hopefully AutoZone or my local tool rental shop will have. I'll keep you...
  14. C

Isn't it always about having fun, Transman?? :D thanks for the reply. Wellington 5R55S/W Deluxe Transmission Rebuild Kit 2002-ON Mfg #16008G I have the bands, pump bushings and seal, solenoid on the way. Is the torque converter a requirement? With my rebuild kit it just seems I have a lot...
  15. C

I have a master rebuild kit I purchased for my 5R55S and I just want to make sure I hit all the seals, gaskets, etc. If anyone has done this before I'd love to hear how your experience went and if you have any tips/suggestions. I have already pulled the tranny and have some hard parts on order...
Back