Chief34 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

C
Reaction score

• Sorry,I just saw your message...As far as Leaf or coil over goes thats probably an easy one... Pros to coil overs are more adjustablity, and in "general" better articulation. The cons 1) LOT harder to set up 2)Much more fabrication,more mounts and Link bars etc, etc,. 3)The biggest drawback its much more expensive. Good leaf springs will flex just as much and Much cheaper & Easier to install. If you are just occasionally wheeling your probably best off w/leaf springs. Especially if your on a budget and have limited resources (people who have some experience that can help you). I do plan on doing a link set-up with either coil overs or air shocks, but mainly just because I want too, not really cuz I need too, Lol. Let me know if you have any other questions, I would be glad to help!! Good Luck,Be Safe and Thank You Very Much for Your Service!!
    Hey man thats a pretty nice rig you got, I was curious if you did the axle swap yourself? I am looking into doing a SAS with the Dana 30 when i get home from Kuwait. another question i had is i looked through your pics too and i seen the one where your leafs looked all jacked up (excuse me i am new to this) and I am trying to decide weather to go with coils or leafs so maybe if you would give me so pro's and con's on the leafs. my truck is a daily driver so i dont get out much like what you are doing in your pics but there are a few spots around NC that i have been wanting to hit up. thanks for any advice you want to give me in advance
    Well, my axle is the Wrangler axle with the Vaccum quick disconnect..... That dictated where the leaves could go. Its mounted just to the outside of the quick disconnect for the pasenger side axle.... The other side is the same distance from the Disk. And yes they are 2.5" . The leaf mounts had to be offset from the frame maybe a couple inches because of this....
    yeah i checked all the teeth in it out and everything looks good. on my club site, deschutescounty4wheelers.com/forum/default.asp if you went under general tech you can see the axles and stuff. most of the members in my club run 35s on their 30's but they also have superior shafts or something. i know the axle i got is a later xj so i could most likely put 760 joints in for some strength. i'm actually a very calm wheeler. that and there really isn't any real terrain in this area. also i looked at your pics but do you know your measurements as of where the leafs landed on the axle? your using 2.5" wide leafs correct?
    -Tim also
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
I am From Texas. I love my Explorer, fishing, hunting, dirtbikes.

Rc Boat, Cars, and planes. Basketball. My Yz 250 dirtbike. The love of my life my 2019 bay ranger 2510
Birthday
June 18, 1980 (Age: 43)
Website
http://www.eliteexcavation.biz
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT, '08 F450superdty
Zip Code
Vehicle Specs
YES
Engine
5.0L Kenne Bell Supercharged 5psi
Year
Transmission
Built T-5 5 speed
Transfer Case
Stock
Front Axle
Dana 30 w/Lockrite locker 4.10's
Rear Axle
Stock 8.8 trac-lok 4.10's
Tires
37"X12.50" 15"R Super Swampers
Occupation
Owner Elite Excavation & Bulkhead
Wheels
american eagle 15"X10" Forged Aluminum
Audio/Video and Navigation
Fosgate Amps. Six 10"HX2 Fosgate Subs. Six 5X7" infinity Kappa comp. Two 6.5" Fosgate comp.
Accessories
Custom dash panel with Autometers. Fox Shocks. E- Fans. Custom Window Tint. Fiberglass Speaker Boxes

Signature

-91 XLT white. Solid Front Axle 37"X12.50X15.
-5.0L Engine and Built T-5 transmission.
-Kenne Bell 2.2 W/GT-40 Lower. 6PSI Tweecer R/T.
-*80mm TB *90mm Lightning maf *42lbFRPP injectors.
-Msd 6AL and TFI Blaster and MSD 8mm wires.
-Custom Long Tube Headers. Autometer Gauges.
Back