Recent content by Coasting2aStall | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by Coasting2aStall

1. C

Exhaust manifold to pipe bolts

Here is another design. https://www.amazon.com/Exhaust-Stud-Clamp-Kit-Trucks/dp/B00E4TMK60/ref=pd_sim_263_2? These come in two sizes. somebody in comments said this one is too big for Explorer V6, but there is a smaller version.
  2. C

Here is the sort of commercial version repair clamp I used, only as say, I have an arc welder and could weld up my own out of half inch bolts for next to nothing. Be aware you dont have lot space to work with on the two outside bolts, pretty close to frame, but it is doable. NICKSON INC...
  3. C

Running rich

Yes to the FPR diaphram leaking as being likely problem. If that is not it, look ever so closely at the plastic tube and rubber connectors on tube from MAF to throttle body. I was getting 8 to 9mpg until I found the accordion pleats were worn on bottom of plastic tube where you wouldnt notice...
  4. C

This is stupidest design ever. In old days there were threaded studs going into the exhaust manifold. The flange fit over the studs, and you used BRASS nuts to tighten it down. The brass nuts wouldnt rust to the studs nor do they rust to some little nub that you cant grab onto. They were also...
  5. C

K-Seal. Anyone tried it?

I guess Kseal is one of those sodium silicate versions that claims not to jell antifreeze.? I can only assume it has some additive to prevent the sodium silicate from doing this??? Be worth the extra not to have to hassle draining antifreeze, etc. No experience with it, but I do have...
  6. C

K-Seal. Anyone tried it?

How to Fix a Main Gasket With Liquid Glass Like say, depends on the leak. Can last years. I have had very good luck with it in past. Looking at the automotive versions on Amazon, some claim it can be added directly to antifreeze. Unless they have some added chemical that prevents it...
  7. C

K-Seal. Anyone tried it?

For what its worth, an old remedy is only one I found that works long term Namely sodium silicate. Its incompatible with modern antifreeze (turns it to jelly) so you have to first drain and rinse cooling system. Then run straight water with the sodium silicate. It will seal most minor leaks...
  8. C

First hesitation, rough idle, then no start...

I am old man and dont drive lot miles anymore so hadnt run tank after modifications. But today took long drive, filling up before I left and after. Secondary road with lot hills and twists and turns. Anyway got gas on way home. 15.83mpg. Yea I know not that impressive, probably average...
  9. C

Explorer 93 correct ECU

If you have one, the EGR is on the drivers side. My drivers side manifold has a flat reinforced area of casting where EGR would be, but it was never drilled out/tapped, whatever.
  10. C

losing power on hills

Just to offer bit hope, think Ford used more than one kind clip over the years. Mine had the simple little plastic U-shape clips. One I just pulled off with my fingers, the other needed bit persuasion with a small flat bladed screw driver. New clips should come with the filter. The real...
  11. C

losing power on hills

First thing I would do on old high mile vehicle, is a cylinder compression check. But like others keep saying, buy or borrow a fuel pressure gauge. Most likely going to be failing fuel pump, clogged filter, or bad fuel pressure regulator. Course could also be bad injector.... or bad plug...
  12. C

Explorer 93 correct ECU

You could try calling. Look here, might help: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1993,explorer,4.0l+v6,1119620,electrical,engine+control+module+(ecm+computer),2896 If your have federal emissions it should be as shown. But its a FORD and in a transition year so maybe not always as the...
  13. C

Ok, finally got my pieces. And got to looking around for way to actually glue hard plastic. Seems to be popular fix for plastic radiators, using super glue plus baking soda. Ok picked up fresh box baking soda on last shopping trip and ordered the super economy bundle of super glue off Amazon...
  14. C

Best brand/source for replacement door handles?

Ok, I bow to knowledge of those fighting the Explorer door handle fight as to the best handle. But will offer bit experience in door handles over the years. First the Volvo 240 potmetal door handles truly sucked, for an upscale car in its time, made one wonder what they were smoking. I even...
  15. C

Yea doesnt make much sense for new tube to cost what they do. I went over how to make one with 2.5 inch flex exhaust and several silicone connectors, they make them in sizes to fit about anything. But still seemed like lot money for stupid air tube. The weak holey areas are the two accordion...
Back