Recent content by d0n4331 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by d0n4331

1. D

Newbie Question: Towing a Popup Camper

I was going with weights/GVWR I got from C&D; It was as much to be illustrative as exact. I don't know if you have SO, Munchkins, etc or actual weights. I could have used my case but after I add my son (played nose tackle for his high school team), me, significant other and daughter, I would...
  2. D

2014 Explorer stock rim specs?

Short answer: They won't fit - 63.4mm centerbore versus 70.6mm needed. 2nd issue: offset is 44mm on '14 versus 30mm on '93. Solution: Long studs on hubs & 15mm spacer with 70.6mm centerbore on hub side/63.4mm centerbore wheel side. Doesn't work real good if you want to go back to OEM wheels...
  3. D

Newbie Question: Towing a Popup Camper

I don't know about Explorers as Ford makes no claim that they adhere to the standard, but for my F-150, Ford complies with SAE J2807, which requires 150lb driver, 150lb passenger, 'standard' options (no a/c delete)* and standard hitch (no carbon fiber/unobtainium models). Being very specific on...
  4. D

2018 Explorer Sport - Towing a Travel Trailer

Getting my reputation established: Smart@$$ response: a. Last time I checked, tires touched the ground and axle is below middle of tires. b. The hole you are making in air goes from lowest point on Explorer, which is probably <6" to bottom of airdam plus tires * width of trailer plus area...
  5. D

Swapping Base Model Steel Wheels for OEM 18" wheels?

I'm going to make assumption that your base '14 Explorer has the 18" wheels (if it has the 17" wheels, its a non-starter). If your tires aren't worn out, they can be moved. Personally, I would go to a tire store 1st, mom & pop 2nd. Dealer is probably pricey; I've had bad luck with chain...
  6. D

2018 Explorer Sport - Towing a Travel Trailer

If you read the fine print in Ford's towing guide for the Explorer - max trailer frontal area is 40'^2 (6' by 6'6" more/less). Basically, the Explorer is limited to a pop-up or a boat. The Venture is 10'3" by 7'6" = 77'^2 more/less, almost double. SAE 2807J was supposed to help with tow...
Back