Recent content by Dag06XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by Dag06XLT

1. D

08 Explorer V8 transmission issue

A rebuild of your current trans should no more than $3000 at an independent trans shop.
  2. D

front wheel bearings

Motorcraft are the highest quality based on users comments here over the years. Search the internet for prices as they are all over. I found mine on eBay from a Ford dealer in the SE. 80K seems to my observation of how long they last based replacing them on two Explorers (150K and current one at...
  3. D

6R80 Transmission Question O/D

I pull a 2-place clam shell style enclosed snowmobile trailer with two sleds and get a consistent 11-12 mpg on the highway and leave it in D w/OD at 70 mph and let the trans decide what to do. Usually about 2K rpm when OD kicks in. I'm rather flat going through Wisconsin. It only down shifts on...
  4. D

2006 4.6L V8 Eddie Bauer Towing Question

The built in OEM bumper hitch w/round safety chain loops in you picture along the sticker on the hitch showing 7400# says you have the tow package. Having a replacement 7-pin added instead of trying to fix the factory one is very common as it is much cheaper.
  5. D

Rear Differential Drain Bolt Access

Oh yea, forgot these have IS.
  6. D

Rear Differential Drain Bolt Access

Jack it up and support the rear by the frame/jack points so the rearend hangs down.
  7. D

4L hi-mileage synthetic... opinions?

At the local Ford dealer - $30 5w-20 Motorcraft oil/filer with full inspection and car wash. My MM has been going off about 7K miles each time and dealer records show this routine since new. Why overthink oil changes on these Explorers? Motorcraft is a very good semisynthetic oil. I'm at 175K...
  8. D

Shock - When to Replace

I put Monroe Quick Stuts on my Ex @ about 155k and it completely changed the handling and acceleration/braking feel. It is solid now - no rolling in turns or nose diving it braking, which also makes it safer and braking waaay better.
  9. D

New Member... 08 Mountaineer Driving me NUTS

Call your dealer to check your VIN, there was an extended warranty on the capless fuel inlet. My 2010 was replaced a couple years ago.
  10. D

Transfer Cases on V8

My 2010 V8 has 4WD (Auto/High/Low)
  11. D

Door code

Just lock the vehicle, then type in the numbers one row at a time, unlock and lock the vehicle after EACH line to make sure the system doesn't lock up on you. I found mine in 5 min. 9 9 9 9 1 1 1 1 1 3 1 1 1 1 5 1 1 1 1 7 1 1 1 1 9 1 1 1 3 3 1 1 1 3 3 1 1 1 3 5 1 1 1 3 7 1 1 1 3 9 1 1 1 5 3...
  12. D

Feel like I won a bunch of money.

I put on new Monroe Quick Struts, Michelin LTX2 tires, sway bar links and bushing and wow it rides great. It completely changed my mine on selling to by a newer one and I have 166K miles. This was a huge investment of $1600 but hard to pass up my paid off truck with a V8.
  13. D

Looking for DE8T-14D544-AG zip for Sync 4.6 (2010 Limited)

Can't email, it's 110mb. The link I sent you should work.
  14. D

Niece wants a 4WD

Honda Pilot or CR-V and a set of good Nokian WR all-season tires w/snow rating. I love my Explorer but am also a shadytree mechanic so I get your question asked of me all the time and always have to go to Honda or Toyota each time for the "most reliable car/truck for my daughter, son, wife...
Back