Recent content by Explorer_PL | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by Explorer_PL

1. E

4.6l 3v engine swap tips for 2007 ford explorer sport trac

I swapped my motor on our 2006 with an engine from 2007 Mounty in 2015, no fitment issues of course (thread with pictures somewhere on this forum). I would stay with 06-08 Explorers/Mounties. Unless you have a friend at the Fords part counter who can confirm the block and head numbers are the...
  2. E

5.4L Swap?

Nope, different engine and tranny. Also, too big of a truck for small engine. The 05 exp is using 5.4 3 valve Triton v8 I believe.
  3. E

Right Rear wheel bearing?

Lift the rear, spin the tires and listen with a stethoscope. I have replaced several of them on our 06 with 310 k miles. And I also thought the sound was coming from the front. Sometimes you can wiggle and feel the play but not always.
  4. E

Swapping the OEM radio to OEM navigation

I did that on our 2007 and besides the antenna, nothing had to be programmed.
  5. E

Removing 2010 Explorer dashboard

Whenever I see a post and pictures of the heater core replacement, it looks like the worst job ever. Pulling an engine or tranny out looks like piece of cake......
  6. E

Driving 2007 xlt 4wd without front driveshaft?

That rear part of driveshaft seals nothing. You need to tap it with some chisel after you remove those 6 bolts. It will come off eventually. You can drive it like that forever.
  7. E

How many miles do you have now?

over 303,000 I think, daughter drives it now :)
  8. E

Another Milestone - 2006 XLT

422k miles on that picture above - respect :) My 06 is now a high school vehicle for my daughter so not many miles daily anymore. Closing on 303k soon.
  9. E

2006 V8 Explorer-Need to replace torque converter, anything else?

Coming late to the thread, but I'd do rear seal as well with the tranny out.
  10. E

Front hub brand?

On my 06 I used either hub29 and hub67. Both fit. One was substantially cheaper OEM.
  11. E

What shops will do a timing cassette replacement on 4.0 SOHC?

I am afraid there are very few shops who would attempt that. Most of the shop owners prefer the motor swap rather than doing the timing job. Unless you find someone like Brian from BASE (Fordmakuloco) I would have a hard time trusting anybody doing that job right.
  12. E

5r55s from a 2007 compatible in the 2008 model year?

I wonder if the 06-08 vs 09-10 comes from the v8 models. On those, they used 2 transmission 6R60 and 6R80 for 09-10. I don't think the 5R was different in the last years of its life on this generation of Explorers. Bus still good info, thank for posting :)
  13. E

Need a bit of help with P0010 and P0020 after EMC replacement

Great write up in my opinion, thanks for sharing.
  14. E

List of parts and part numbers I can't find online

The OEM Radio/GPS is easy. It does not need programing, just plug and play. You just need to buy the GPS antenna for few bucks on ebay. I got an OEM GPS unit from a salvage yard for 100 few years ago and just replaced the stock radio with it in our 07 Eddie Bauer. It worked right away but it is...
  15. E

5r55s from a 2007 compatible in the 2008 model year?

I would say yes, they did not change much in those years, but hope some experts will chime in. I dropped a 2007 motor into my 2006 and it was just fine. If you go on car-parts.com, see if they cross reference the years for that tranny.
Back