Recent content by fordpickupman | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by fordpickupman

1. F

Poor Man’s RZR build

That thing screamed for 22 hrs straight from Nampa to KOH, only letting up to put gas in it. I was impressed.
  2. F

Poor Man’s RZR build

You pay extra for them to open the hitch up. We may have far exceeded the suggested gvw.
  3. F

Poor Man’s RZR build

This thing is my winter weather driver so I can save my '71 from the salt. I finally got tired of trying to hook things to the roof. So I've started the roof rack cage project. The easy part is almost finished. The cross bars should line up with where the verts for the cage should protrude...
  4. F

1st Gen Winter photo contest

AWESOME! Thank you Rick! Thank you @410Fortune for talking me into submitting!
  5. F

Poor Man’s RZR build

The 4r70 has a much better 1st gear than the a4Ld does. Love it.
  6. F

Poor Man’s RZR build

It pulls 37s w 4.88s like they are 35s
  7. F

Poor Man’s RZR build

NeoMustangs on YouTube has a decent video on it.
  8. F

Poor Man’s RZR build

It's an old poor man's HotRod trick. The piston pins are offset in the pistons. So if you swap sides and rotate them it increases the stroke and compression.
  9. F

Poor Man’s RZR build

Yeah, I try to "fix" things better than stock. It even gained fuel mileage.
  10. F

Poor Man’s RZR build

I also ported the heads and upgraded the valvesprings. Oh And a Jmod stage 3 valvebody out of a crown Vic.
  11. F

Poor Man’s RZR build

I freshened the 5.0 before I stuck it in the hole. New bearing, moly rings, and flipped the pistons/rods and a mustang gt cam. It runs quite a bit better than my bride's '01 5.0 sploder.
  12. F

Poor Man’s RZR build

I tried really hard to use the cast Explorer oil pan. Everyone was correct, it won't fit. I moved the engine back as far as I could and wanted it low. The humps and bumps in the pan will not clear the TTB crossmember and pivot mount. I trimmed the pivot and eventually cut it off and the pan...
  13. F

Poor Man’s RZR build

The hearts
  14. F

Poor Man’s RZR build

Well, almost a year ago, the heads lifted on the 4.0. Poor thing had been slowly burning water for the entire time I have owned it. So, to fix it properly, I swapped in a 5.0 4r70 out of a rolled early Mountaineer I had picked up just for this purpose and had stashed for a couple years. Mucho...
  15. F

03 fliptrac $700 daily driver (summer of fun with 4 sport tracs)

You got the goody out of those pads. I tend to harvest rotors/pads from the junk yard. I just watch for stuff in good shape. I scored a all but new set of rotors this last fall. Somebody had already poached the calipers, the emergency brake was on so the rotors were "stuck". I love that...
Back