Recent content by Glacier991 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by Glacier991

1. G

91 A4LD Transmission Problems

My advice is the same.
  2. G

92 ex pressure blowing caps off ac fittings

Accumulators rarely "go bad". Get a gauge set and check out your pressures. Generally when things start going south you may need to replace or flush most major components. I am curious about your conversion. Schrader don'T pop open as a rule. The cap is not the seal, the Schrader down the neck...
  3. G

Head gasket repair

Myself, if I have the heads fully exposed and have removed one on an engine with over 100K on it, I would seriously consider doing valves and checking/renewing the heads.
  4. G

Brief Review on Touch-Drive 4WD System Please?

Your question is a good one. Based on the history of this kind of problem, I would suggest you start with the assumption that the shift motor is the culprit. If you want to do further investigation before doing the "fix" detailed elsewhere, using a needle point probe on a voltmeter try and see...
  5. G

How to: 1992 Power Window Bushing Replacement

In previous threads it appeared someone was selling just the part for about $40. Is he still around and/or are just the parts available somewhere?
  6. G

How to: 1992 Power Window Bushing Replacement

Time to do my rear power windows, but alas, mine ar e the cable type. I vaguely recall that there is a swap out using the later explorer power window parts in place of the cable type, and that someone was making the parts available as a package. But I cannot find that. Anyone able to assist?
  7. G

How to: 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

Glacier991 is still alive In response to "I wonder if Glacier991 would have expected this thread would still be alive 10 years later" - I can say: I an delighted to see that it not only alive but has generated nearly a half a million hits. I know it helped a lot of folks, and many others...
  8. G

Looking for auto hub part 92 4X4

Forgive me if I am posting this in he wrong place... but I have a 92 Explorer with the auto hubs... which in spite of all their bad press, for my use have been good and useful and performed fine. After 25 years and early 250K miles, the part I think is known as the "actuator cam" on one side...
  9. G

How to: 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

Joe: Once you have a catastrophic transmission failure, in any part, it is best to replace anything remotely suspect as being affected by the failure. I would put an all new forward clutch assembly back in. Small difference in price. I would completely rebuild the valve body as well. Good...
  10. G

How to: Project Frankentranny - A4LD / 4R55E / 5R55E Hybrid Project

That would be a greatly appreciated assist. Many guys wrote me and asked me to write them a parts list. Sorry... just wasn't into giving away hours more labor for free - after the many hundreds. If you could do that, it would be a major step forward. Plan on a week of work you give away.
  11. G

As for backward swap of 5R guts into an A4LD, that is a definiite NO. The best A4LD was the 1993. SOME, again SOME 4R55 parts might backwards fit. FEW. It's maybe impossible to build a really strong A4LD (compared to say a 4R70W - which can be built really strong!). Brain's Frankentranny...
  12. G

W, S, N interswap..... yes and no. Candidly I was DEEP into this stuff and a woman entered my life... and have not stayed really current since, but there were some essential non-swaps as I recall.
  13. G

I will be meeting with a key designer/engineer of 5R55s

The thing to remember in talking auto tranny design is the COST. The 4R70W started out of a robust transmission in it's own right. Became a darling in racing so LOTS of highpower mods available, etc. The 5R55 started out of the C-3 Pinto transmission. Never a darling of anyone, no high power...
  14. G

Rebuilding 5r55e for abuse

I'd also see if you cannot find the FORD 5R55 3 ring binder manual. It is the bible, and candidly extremely well done. They show up on E-Bay from time to time.
  15. G

How to: Converting an R-12 Air Conditioner to use R-134a

Well, you choose what you want to choose, but I think 48 OZ is WAY over what is needed. read up this thread where others used something under 2 lbs. If you are hellbent of seeing if 3 lbs works, add 28 oz and start checking vent temps...as you continue to add. Maybe if you added a 134 system...
Back