Recent content by HahnsB2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by HahnsB2

1. H

97 5R55E No reverse, good line pressure.

I'm sure no one remembers me as it's been probably a decade since I last posted here but anyways. Girlfriend has a 97 Explorer 4.0 SOHC 4x4. In 2015 I took it to the minute mart and when I got home and put it in reverse I got a "clang" sound and it had no reverse. Research led me to believe the...
  2. H

o/d on off

Depends on gear ratio/tire size. Not using 5th in my explorer under 65 gave me nearly 2MPG more and my 5th isn't as tall as an auto OD either. My explorer had stock 3.27s and stock 235s.. Tall gears don't always = MPG..
  3. H

factory posi?

Automatic? 235-75-15s Manual? 31s For 33s you'll want 4.56s.
  4. H

Lower intake wont seal (OHV)

I didn't use the Fel-Pro gasket when I did mine, I don't like how it doesn't seal each end of the valley. I just used a generic brand gasket and it works great. You shouldn't need RTV around the water ports, should only need it at the ends of the valley.
  5. H

anyone done a 4link in a first gen?

Well when someone says 4 link, I think tradition triangulated 4 link. If he said 4 link with panhard I wouldn't have said anything.
  6. H

The axle will move straight up and down with a 4 link and the steering linkage does not, so there will be some bad bump steer. The typical SAS with radius arms/3link with panhard bar makes it so the steering linkage follows the arc of the panhard bar during travel so there is no bump steer.
  7. H

Hope you plan on full hydraulic steering.
  8. H

33" tires with stock axles

My BFGs had speed rating of 99MPH...
  9. H

3.08 to ?

My explorer got nearly 2MPG better in all sitiuations by using 4th instead of 5th, with stock 235s and 3.27s. I know for a FACT I would have got better mileage with 3.73s. Lugging the engine will NOT pruduce better mileage.
  10. H

Manual Tranny

It takes Mercon ATF, not Mercon V. Straight Mercon can be found under the name of Dex/Merc.
  11. H

How close have you been to running out of gas?

One time in my old Sport I put in 17.8 gallons in a 17.5 gallon tank :eek:
  12. H

Finding 4.10 diffs.. How rare?

That the Aussie is smoother! Comparing front and rear lockers doesn't work, it's completely different.
  13. H

1.6 RR'S are the worth it?

Aren't the stock rockers 1.6? The stockers on my 5.2 are 1.6, I swapped them for Harland Sharp 1.7s roller rockers and there is a noticable difference (Dynos have shown 10-15 rwhp for my application). The extra lift from the higher ratio helps the low end a bit and the lift combined with the...
  14. H

Finding 4.10 diffs.. How rare?

There IS a difference. I'm well aware the 2 are nearly identicle, I've had both...
  15. H

'96 Explorer 4.0 OHV Performance Mods?

Wait. It's 2wd right? If so, you can go 4.30 gears, best of both worlds! 4.30s put you at a bit less than 2500RPMs at 70MPH, perfectly acceptable for a 4.0.
Back