Recent content by Hartman | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by Hartman

1. H

Steering shaft replacement

OK looks pretty straight forward. However I can't find one of these anywhere! Is the junkyard my best option?
  2. H

Steering shaft replacement

I'm having a problem with my steering where it will get real hard, almost like the pump went out, and it's also very jerky and not smooth. I don't think it's the pump as it is making no noise at all. My sheering shaft does have a lot of play however. I'm thinking the u-joint is getting bound...
  3. H

LMC Truck question.

In my searches I've found that some people have had problems with the LMC springs sagging quickly but I'm not sure if those where isolated incidents or not.
  4. H

98 Explorer Sport needs new rear springs

Sports come with monosprings, which you don't want.
  5. H

Advance 25% off ad? WTF?

VISA gets you $50 off. Plus here's the rebate form: http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/promotions/Monroe_WhatShocksYouRebate_US_WEB.pdf I'll be getting a set of 4 Sensatracs for $100 provided I don't get jacked around with the rebate. Can't ask for much more than that.
  6. H

Advance 25% off ad? WTF?

VISA seems like the best code, it'll get you $50 off.
  7. H

98 Explorer Sport needs new rear springs

You can get new ones from http://www.lmctruck.com
  8. H

Lower Ball Joint Replacement How To (lots of Pictures)

Every truck is different. On my old truck, which saw countless winters, I never had a problem getting the top bolt out and the balljoint disconnected. With my current truck, I had to beat the ever living crap out of it. Heat is key too.
  9. H

Alignment Issue - Help!!

Honestly a quote of $800 for all that is pretty reasonable. Not that I would pay it, but it's reasonable. And Explorers have weird alignment issues. Camber adjusters are cheap and easy to install. The camber is not adjustable from the factory, the shop is not lying to you about that.
  10. H

Traded The Explorer for a new car :(

I have 3 oil filters left over from my car that I would ship to you if you weren't in Canada!
  11. H

Traded The Explorer for a new car :(

I'll echo that...I used to have a 3 series. I did all the repairs myself and the car still nickle and dimed me to death.
  12. H

Front shocks

You do not want to use these on the front even if you found a length that fit. They would essentially make your front end solid. They are fine to use out back though.
  13. H

How To: Upper Control Arm / Ball Joint Replacement (Lots of Pictures)

Those fuel lines are a pain. I battled those on my old 4.0 and I was hoping they would be routed differently on the 5.0....not the case. I unclipped them and carefully pryed them out of the way with a screwdriver while I rotated the bolt in just the right way.
  14. H

How to: Remove EGR valve on early V8

It could be the position sensor...take it off and make sure it moves freely. Even if it moves freely, it could still be bad (mine was). It's a $20 part so you may consider replacing it before the EGR.
  15. H

Adjusting toe to fix steering wheel alignment

My truck does have some play in the steering shaft but not too much, about average for the age. I just want it close.
Back