Recent content by J_C | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by J_C

1. J

Faulty fuel pump relay

Pin 1 and 2 are both sides of the activation coil, either can be hot and the other ground. In this case, pin 1 hot and pin 2 is grounded by the PCM. You could check continuity of the pin 2 socket contact and the corresponding PCM connector pin (of same wire color?, better to get a pinout of...
  2. J

Front CV Axles

From what I can tell, it is the left side that is about 3" longer than the right. Yes the right (passenger) side is smooth outside with internal teeth.
  3. J

2000 ford explorer blend door actuator

Rather than reading the whole workshop manual section on it, I'll just attach that and an excerpt: If the old one failed, one thing worth doing is checking the fuse.
  4. J

VERY high mileage SportTrac

Well I'm comparing against... hmm... almost everything I've ever driven. I had a GMC Jimmy (aka Chevy S-10 Blazer) that was worse, and once upon a time ago, drove a work van that was, but babied that since it wasn't mine. Granted I'm talking about vehicles with a tall, fat rear end. Center...
  5. J

LED LIGHTS

Well there are several choices on Rock Auto, noting that none are LED... The Hella 9007P50 are under $10 delivered for a pair. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2001,explorer+sport+trac,4.0l+v6,1366680,electrical-bulb+&+socket,headlamp+bulb,11701
  6. J

'02 Sport Trac Upper control arm, cam bolts, inner and outer tie rods - tips

Yeah I don't understand what happened there but if you didn't pay for it, might want to take it somewhere else instead... or at least take it back when that guy isn't working. :)
  7. J

The only question is how long you expect it to last before put in a junkyard or sold, versus how much money to invest in upkeep since it's still a daily driver. Certain things like suspension, I would definitely replace as long as it is affordable, mostly by DIY instead of paying a shop to do...
  8. J

2016 Ford Explorer XLT - Brake problem

?? Can you elaborate? I was under the impression that even if you compress the pistons all the way in to the point where they bottom out flush, that with new pads put on, as long as the brakes are not activated without a rotor being between them, that any fluid that is forced out the top of...
  9. J

Replace spark plugs?

?? What do you mean gap on old is not same as new? You need a gauge to measure gap and determine how worn they are. Doesn't the 3.7L need the intake manifold taken off to replace the rear bank of plugs? I'm wondering if this might be a good job to take to a shop to have done, given the...
  10. J

Mixing types of antifreeze

Have you ran it, has it sucked that out of the reservoir into the cooling system or can you just drain the reservoir?
  11. J

I don't understand your question, at least as it relates to shocks which is a bit different than working in the engine bay and needing to manipulate old, potentially brittle wires or vac hoses, etc. Mileage has nothing to do with aftermarket parts working or not. However, degree of rust can...
  12. J

LED LIGHTS

Use the street legal incandescent bulbs that the housing was designed for. If it is instead an aftermarket housing specifically designed for a particular LED bulb, then you *need* to use that bulb design. Same socket/form-factor isn't enough due to the differences in beam pattern since LED...
  13. J

Potential issues when disabling ABS on '99 ford explorer

Yeah I forgot the easy way. :) There's probably some hack possible to make the dash light stay off too, maybe disconnect ABS module dk green wire contact # 16, though with my prior abs pump wire suggestion, was thinking that if disconnecting the wire works, that also opens the possibility of...
  14. J

Potential issues when disabling ABS on '99 ford explorer

^ AFAIK, you could just plumb the brake lines around/without the ABS module, allowing you to keep the speedo. Otherwise, maybe try disconnecting the ABS module pin 9, pump motor feed wire? In case I am wrong, please TEST what disconnecting it does, before depending on it, including a situation...
  15. J

Intake Air Temperature Sensor

Welcome to the forum! It's not going to be connected by a hose, would be in intake snorkel or maybe intake itself if separate from MAF. At the risk of second guessing what you wrote, what is the evidence that it isn't integrated into your MAF sensor? AFAIK, this can be determined based on...
Back