Recent content by Jacob Williams | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by Jacob Williams

1. J

Frustrated with rough idle when warm in drive

I had a similar problem that I couldn’t figure out for the longest time, accompanied by the same error codes. I tried almost every possible fix, but I finally figured it out the other day. I know this is in a wholly different ballpark than the other causes suggested, but it turned out that the...
  2. J

All 4 Wheels Are Engaged All the Time

Pretty sure AUTO means it's 2wd unless one of the back wheels starts slipping. Then it will give power to the front wheels. This is a 4x4 explorer's standard running mode, it doesn't technically have a true 2wd. Mine has 3 options of auto, 4 high and 4 low. Are you sure yours isn't 4x4 auto and...
  3. J

1997 Ford Explorer Sport Manual Transmission 4x4 v.s. RWD - Difference?

Do you know anything about why it needs replacing? A new clutch or something wouldn't be that big of a deal. Those transmissions are pretty long-lived in my experience, my dad used to have a Ranger with one and it was perfect until he sold it after driving it from 50,000 miles to 240-something...
  4. J

1997 Ford Explorer Sport Manual Transmission 4x4 v.s. RWD - Difference?

Would the Mazda transmission from a same year 4x4 ranger not be identical to the one on an explorer? I don't know but I'm sure you forum veterans will- if they're the same then looking for 4x4 rangers as well will widen your chances of finding a trans that will work
  5. J

Head Scratcher

I use that switch to let off the fuel pressure, just unplug it and run the car til it dies. I've never had the switch spring up though. I'll try cleaning the connectors and maybe messing with a voltmeter on them. Then again it may be a month or longer before I find out if it's actually fixed...
  6. J

1996 Head gasket ??

If you trust the guy that you bought it from, he definitely woudn't leave out the blown head gasket detail when he sold it. Lots of things can cause the car to run roughly. Try unbolting the alternator and taking it to an auto parts store, they'll test it for free. If it turns out to be good...
  7. J

Head Scratcher

Makes sense, but I still can't understand how it only causes a problem 99 out of 100 times I drive. Wouldn't such an issue cause constant trouble, or can excessive heat somehow trigger it?
  8. J

Head Scratcher

Didn't look rusty when I took it off during the fuel injector fiasco. I might change the wires, they do look pretty beat up. Excessive heat and somehow the AC seem to make the problems show up, so I guess a spark-related answer does make sense.
  9. J

Head Scratcher

Hey, I had a long discussion with y'all earlier about my engine running like s***, turned out to be a stuck open injector- and I'm infinitely thankful for the help. But there's something else strange about my car that has irritated me for a long time. About 99 out of every 100 times I drive it...
  10. J

Solved '97 OHV- Missing and Fuel in Head

I always put 4 quarts of oil when not replacing the filter, and about that much game out. Pissed me off because I had just shelled out and bought that expensive Magnatech oil, but put more once i replaced it. The science behind its better protection seems sound so I've been using it. And yeah...
  11. J

Probably just me not really knowing the insides of an engine very well. When I said " I noticed a large amount of fuel in the bank 2 side when I removed the valve cover" I referring to the excess fuel that I saw when I took off the drivers' side valve cover. The wetness from the gas can be seen...
  12. J

Ranger lift kit on Explorer?

Nice to know, I used to weld at a fab shop so I can have stuff like that made for free over there. How laughable would my stock tires look with a 3" lift before I could get new ones? If the answer is very then I might have to wait til I can buy a bigger set.
  13. J

Ranger lift kit on Explorer?

Hey, I have a question regarding a lift kit. I used to own a '98 SOHC automatic 2WD ranger, had a lift kit for it but I moved on before i could install it. Now I have a '97 Explorer sport OHV 4x4 with the M5OD manual, and the lift kit is still in my basement- is there any chance that the...
  14. J

Whew.. my heart skipped a beat when my car started knocking loudly while driving today.. luckily I had just forgotten to re-tighten the nut holding the EGR valve onto the exhaust and the gases were knocking it around. Re-tightened and it sounds like a dream! Have y'all customized your exhaust...
  15. J

Way better. There was one full day that I had no choice but to drive it to school and back with the bad injector, went through most of a full tank in about 30 miles of driving! It's doing wayy better now. I got a full tank, reset the trip counter, and each time a bit got used up I'd fill it up...
Back