Recent content by jons901 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by jons901

1. J

How to: 2013 Explorer 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 Water Pump and Timing Set Replacement

It was a combination of the Ford procedure and youtube videos. There are a bunch out there on the 3.5s. After watching the videos and reading the forum I followed the Ford procedure from the service manual.
  2. J

Serpintine belt replacement questions for NA 3.5 V6

Correct, clockwise to relieve tension, just the 3/8 drive ratchet.
  3. J

Serpintine belt replacement questions for NA 3.5 V6

Yeah, it's tight in there, but I was able to do it w/o removing the splash shield as well. Here was my process and tools: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/unexplained-rattle-2014-limited.487965/post-3841392
  4. J

Water pump failure

Yeah, the cordless I got on Amazon was serviceable. Not the best but got the job done. All of the grease came flying out as I took the intake manifold bolts out as the ratchet was brand new, so that was a bummer. But so glad I got it for the tear down.
  5. J

Water pump failure

Here is my post which contains my parts, supplies, and tools list.
  6. J

Water pump failure

Hahaha! Love it.
  7. J

I did not use the pins as they were stupid expensive anywhere I could find them. There were actually 2 locators built into the cover on my limited. IIRC one is in about the 5 oclock position and one around 8 oclock. Get close and once those pop in, between the bead and slight hand pressure you...
  8. J

Unsolved check engine light mystery (P2096 and more)

I've never been able to get a straight answer about which alternator my explorer has either. According to the ford parts website based on VIN I have the HD one (Usages: 200 Amp, 02/06/2012 - 05/04/2015, Explorer, 3.5L Cyclone V6 Petrol TIVCT, With Heated Steering Wheel, Heavy Duty Alternator)...
  9. J

How many people have had the airbag warning light activate

Update.... spoke with a service advisor at my dealer who passed me off to the warranty supervisor. He had me submit my receipt from Tasca parts to him and 2 weeks later the dealer has sent me a check! They still want to inspect it to clear the note in their computer which I will have them...
  10. J

Monroe quick struts, really that bad?

I had the same issue on the monroe's I tried almost immediately. I ran them for about 6K and did not like them at all. I went back to motorcraft luckily I kept the old assemblies so just bought the strut cartridge and mounts from Rockauto. I was apprehensive about rebuilding them but used...
  11. J

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I completed this job last week as well, and this tip was a lifesaver. I was able to hold the front camshafts still using a large wrench on the hex hold feature and the cam shaft tools, but on the firewall side of the engine I could not get the wrench...
  12. J

Ecoboost timing chain replacement

Thanks! Fingers crossed I will be up and running later this week.
  13. J

That is wild. I got the same kit with out the water pump but it did not include gasket material for the timing cover. I got a Motorcraft water pump and the kit both from Rockauto. Ford says use the TA-357 but I am worried about the 5 min set up time to get the cover on and first bolts in...
  14. J

Which specs are you looking for? The phaser and front cover have detailed torque specs and process as some are torque to yield: So like the cam phasers are: Stage 1: Tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft). Stage 2: Loosen one full turn. Stage 3: Tighten to 10 Nm (89 lb-in). Stage 4: Tighten 90...
Back