Recent content by joshhemming | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by joshhemming

1. J

Solved My charger said that the battery is 75% charged while it's connected to the van.

I didn't do any additional checks because after driving it a couple more times over the past several days the battery is fine. The alternator has built its charge back up and is holding it. I think the 75% reading that morning was due to it just needing more time to charge, since it was...
  2. J

Solved My charger said that the battery is 75% charged while it's connected to the van.

My van's battery is only a year old. I forgot and left the lights on overnight so the battery didn't have enough juice to start the van yesterday. A digital voltmeter showed only 3.5 volts. Instead of jump starting it, I hooked a Schumacher SC-1200A charger to it and charged it in-vehicle...
  3. J

Has anyone here ever replaced an Aerostar headliner?

I used the Heads Up kit from Pep Boys and the adheisive from the same company. The grey foam-backed material went on beautifully....looked great. There's just enough material in the SUV size roll to do the complete 2-piece Aerostar headliner. I was really happy with it for about a week...
  4. J

It runs rough, and no check engine light is on.

My '93 3.0L did the exact same thing....hard to start, rough idle but better when warmed up. Someone on this board suggested completely removing the air cleaner box and checking the vacuum hoses beneath it. Bingo! One of them had cracked and slipped off the connector. It was the one which...
  5. J

My Aerostar has a continuous warning chime.

"Have you checked your key. Mine was chiming like crazy then eather Brook or josh p said check key switch." It probably is indeed the ignition switch. It's been flaky for years....sometimes chimes when the key is removed until I lightly tap on the switch, then stops. That CAN'T be right...
  6. J

"Mine did that, I just unplugged the module. Only thing I miss is the headlight reminder." Thanks. I'm surprised your ammeter still worked after unplugging the module. When I pulled the fuse for MY module, it temporarily killed my ammeter. Anyway, I pulled the Warning Chime Module from a...
  7. J

Yes, I'm positive it's the solid state Warning Chime Module located just above the fuse panel. I actually removed the module, let it hang down by its cable harness then covered and uncovered the holes above the small speaker while driving to verify the dinging was coming from it. Plus if I...
  8. J

Have any of you longtime Aerostar sufferers I mean owners ever had your warning chime constantly dinging when it shouldn't be? Since my van had been sitting for about a week I decided to drive it today. It started normally, I buckled my seat belt and took off. The warning chime continued to...
  9. J

Can I list my Aerostar for sale here?

I can't find the rule governing this.
  10. J

Solved Where can I buy Aerostar visor hooks?

I ended up buying a couple on Ebay for $9 shipped, and they were in excellent condition. Apparently the same ones are used on a lot of Ford and Mercury vehicles.
  11. J

Did anyone replace their heater-A/C control switch?

The function switch where I select between A/C, Vent, Floor, Defrost, etc. has been flaky but working for a few years. Now it's dead. The knob and shaft will turn but I don't feel or hear any connections being made inside the switch. Ebay has several used, supposedly working, control...
  12. J

Solved Where can I buy Aerostar visor hooks?

The plastic hook/clip/bracket/retainers which the free end of my visor snaps into are both broken. Other than the junkyard, is there another source for these? I found a pair listed on Ebay for $12, which seems a little high.
  13. J

I put a coat of black latex paint on the cardboard to seal the fuzzy surface and hopefully get a better bond with the glue. It's drying overnight before I put one more coat on it. It should be ready to glue day after tomorrow. I doubt that it will look like a professional job. I'll just be...
  14. J

Thanks, I'll pick up a flap wheel for my drill. Would a 3" wheel with 120 grit be sufficient, or is that still too coarse? And were you able to do the entire headliner with just the one wheel?
  15. J

Where can I buy Aerostar headliner retainers?

Thanks, that appears to be an exact match. You're right about the ones from China. I bought a bunch of the smaller ones for the door panels from a China Ebay seller. Very reasonably priced and they worked fine. But about 3 weeks delivery time.
Back