Recent content by justjim_pia | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by justjim_pia

1. J

How to know if wheel bearings are bad

I just replaced one of my rear bearings at 141k miles. It had the characteristic "hum" noise above 30mph and it appeared to be from the left rear (I have a ChassisEar which helped greatly pinpoint the general area). I got all 4 tires off the ground, there was no play in the wheel, nor could...
  2. J

A/C Rear Line Leak

Mine failed at 130k Miles here in Illinois on a 2011 Explorer. I cleaned the pinhole leak and used some aluminum “brazing” rod from Harbor Freight, evacuated and recharged the system and it has held for a week. I’m treating this as a patch and sorting out a more permanent fix when it fails...
  3. J

Ford Explorer: Are Your Rear Brakes Dragging... Most Likely Yes!

Does anyone have the torque specifications for the guide pin and bracket fasteners? I'm going to check my brakes for this problem. I wish Ford had the service manuals online, for free like Mazda.
  4. J

2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue

Just got the recall notice! 14S06 is the recall campaign, hope this puts a major worry behind me. Read about it here, and checked owner.ford.com with my VIN, and sure enough there's a recall available.
  5. J

DRL (Daytime Running Lights)

Yup - my dealer did it "for free" on my 2011, a bit of goodwill for all the other headaches my Explorer has caused me. The amber lamps functioning as DRL's work great.
  6. J

Cold Engine - funny squeal on acceleration

I was operating my 2011 Explorer this morning, with a cold engine (cold startup with ambient about 10F/-12C), and noticed a funny "squeal" sound as the engine ran past about 3000rpm during acceleration. The noise was really repeatable for about 5 minutes, then it went away.. It somewhat sounded...
  7. J

Oil Found In Air Filter

Here is my situation...going to call dealer today to arrange a fix for this. This pic is of the outlet of the air filter box. . Here's the inlet piping And a oily air filter element
  8. J

Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem

Rebecca - I still can't get it to work. I tried the following processes. Sending a Contact from the Phone using Add Contact From Phone... 1)Powered everything up 2)Sync finds the phone OK 3)On Sync, I press.... >Phone >Settings >Manage phone book >Add contact from phone...
  9. J

Rebecca- I removed the phones from Sync, and Sync from the phones, rebooted the phones. Re-paired everything and now the phones connect OK. I have an LG VN271 Extravert, and iPhone4s. THANKS! One problem I still have is that my LG VN271 will not download the phone book. The download...
  10. J

All, My dealer changed the GPS module (which didn't fix the tracking issue), and on the second day did a "hard reset" of the Sync system. The "hard reset" fixed the tracking issue, finally. It has worked fine for about 3 days now. So, the tracking issue appears to be resolved, HOWEVER my...
  11. J

No success at dealer today Well.... Rebecca from the IVT team told me to make an appointment with my dealer to have the tracking issue resolved. My dealer just called, and the tracking issue still persists after changing a module per Ford's instructions. The dealer will keep the vehicle...
  12. J

My 2011 Explorer goes in on Wednesday, and I'm not sure exactly what Ford as prescribed as the fix for my tracking issue. Ford contacted the dealer specifically on my tracking issue, so it is not a blanket TSB update service appointment. I'll post later this week on if the issue has been resolved.
  13. J

I picked up my Explorer and the navigation system is still off the weeds, as there is not current fix for the issue. The good news is that my dealer really does give a damn, and they resolved a few other issues with their usual courteous proficiency. The vehicle was nicely cleaned and the...
  14. J

Rebecca - thanks for chiming in on this issue. I understand no fix is available now, how do we know when a solution is available? Will the dealer contact me? The Ford IVT Team? My dealer is really good, and I do want to get this fixed as soon as a solution is ready. Best Regards, Jim
  15. J

The dealer was told by Ford that the tracking won't work if the vehicle is "too close to power lines"...and that is the only "help" received from Ford so far. The tracking problem is present well away from power lines, and has happened on country roads with no power lines in sight. Here's an...
Back