Recent content by kam327 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by kam327

1. K

2025 Ford Explorer Gets New Looks, New Tech, $41,220 MSRP

Wrong. Relative to the outgoing Explorer's Sync setup, onboard system computing power has quintupled, while graphics processing power has quattuordecupled (that's 14 times)! (MotorTrend)
  2. K

Looks like it's getting the Mustang's almost all new 2.3L, with: new Modular Power Cylinder (MPC) Engine Architecture, which helps keep design continuity across the 1.5L I4 EcoBoost, the 2.0L I4 EcoBoost, and the 2.3L EcoBoost engine family. Additionally, its new twin scroll low-inertia...
  3. K

14 times the processing power onboard? Why?? And I saw one article mention the 2.3L is almost all new, despite identical power and torque. I wonder if the improvements are mainly in the NVH realm.
  4. K

Towing with the 2.3

Approximately how heavy was the trailer? I rode in my brother's Sierra while he was towing his Corvette and he was getting like 14-15mpg.
  5. K

Explorer Refresh Pushed Back to 2025 MY

https://fordauthority.com/2023/09/ford-explorer-refresh-pushed-back-to-2025-model-year-exclusive/ Production of the 2024 model is expected to only last a total of two months.
  6. K

A Two Row Explorer??

No way is anyone cross-shopping an Explorer and Bronco. Totally different vehicles. The Atlas / Atlas Cross Sport is a good comparison, as well as the Pilot / Passport. The Passport literally looks like they just chopped the last foot of the Pilot off and called it a day. At least for 2022...
  7. K

What oil to run in 2.3 liter Explorer

Still doesn’t change the fact that you can choose an oil that protects your engine better and costs less.
  8. K

Can Auto Start/Stop Be Added

Do you spend an inordinate amount of time in stop and go traffic? Seems to me that's the only case where spending the money to add it would make any economic sense. Below are Ford's exact mpg numbers, as reported to EPA, with and without Auto Stop-Start for the 2.3L RWD. Obviously it doesn't...
  9. K

Gas Mileage in 2020+ Explorer

Here's a histogram from fuelly.com for 2020 Explorers with the 2.3L engine. Vast majority are getting 20-23 mpg.
  10. K

The oil meets the required specs, has been checked out by the PQIA and has some favorable UOA's on bitog.com. How can you go wrong?
  11. K

2022 Explorer XLT, 22” wheels?

Yes I would definitely look to the new tires first as the primary culprit for reduced handling in winter conditions. Living in FL, winter handling is the last thing on my mind.
  12. K

Gas Mileage in 2020+ Explorer

I've been very impressed with the mpg of our 2WD Limited. Between 21-22 in all suburban driving with many short trips. Our '17 Ltd was getting around 18.
  13. K

2022 Explorer XLT, 22” wheels?

Harsher ride? I think my '22 Limited rides very smooth. And it's a marked improvement over our '17 Limited which rode stiffer. That could've been the Michelin LTX tires. But in any case, it's all subjective and I don't feel the 20's make my Limited ride harsh at all. Less traction? I'd...
  14. K

Plenty of reason to use something else. Kirkland is 25% cheaper than Motorcraft, and it's a FULL synthetic instead of a BLEND. There are several other top tier FULL synthetics available for the same price or cheaper than Motorcraft. Even Mobil1 is only $1.50 more for 5 qts at Walmart. Seems...
Back