Recent content by Kiliona | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by Kiliona

1. Kiliona

Cummins First Gen Build Thread (no really)

I was able to get the cummins radiator and intercooler to fit, although it will take some modifications later to make a front end that works. I'm excited because this is super overkill on cooling with the stock mechanical fan and large radiator, but also it means I get to keep the MASSIVE...
  2. Kiliona

Oh man, it's been a long time since an update. I absolutely haven't stopped working on it. No pictures since my elite explorer ran out, but let me talk through some stuff that's happened. If you want visuals you can check my youtube channel, otherwise here's the long list of what's been...
  3. Kiliona

continued After this I bought a sheet of 4'x8' 10 gauge steel from my local steel yard for ~$200. 10 gauge is about .14" thick which is between 1/8 and 3/16 and is almost the same thickness as the stock frame (about .157 IIRC, smaller then 3/16). I cut up some plates and boxed this middle...
  4. Kiliona

It's been a minute for an update. I've gotten the engine mounts done, transmission mount done, and the frame cleaned up and boxed. Here's some pictures. I ended up putting the body back on for test fitting before I did the drivetrain mounts. Here's a picture of the massaging the firewall. I...
  5. Kiliona

Anyone have any opinions on an unequal body lift? Because the rear is now spring over axle (SOA) it's pretty high, but I do need about an inch of body lift in the front to clear the transmission. I'm not sure I want to raise the rear any more then it already is. My thought was I could add some...
  6. Kiliona

Hmm.. I'm not sure, which picture or video are you looking at? Everythings stock on the inside of the explorer (so far) in that regard. You might be looking at the stock radio which is real oldschool looking and has about 15 buttons just on that haha.
  7. Kiliona

Another update. I needed swap the nv4500 transmissions input shaft from a 1 1/8" shaft to a 1 1/4" shaft in order for it to bolt up to the cummins. Started by removing the top (note can technically do this without pulling the top but I wanted to take a look inside). Synchronizer teeth looked...
  8. Kiliona

It's been a hot minute since an update, so here we go! Sometimes fabrication just takes a lot longer then you expect it to... but... my explorer now has a dana 50 under the front end! At least, mostly. So as a recap I grabbed an 8 lug TTB dana 50 out of an F250 in a junkyard. The first issue to...
  9. Kiliona

Hmm.. I'm not sure what exactly what you mean. From the front of the car to the back it should be just as stable, and since I'm using two arms each with heims rather then 1 arm with heims the beam should be just as stable from rotating (If there were only 1 pinned connection you'd be correct...
  10. Kiliona

Also, since you mentioned keeping factory alignment specs I should point out that was another consideration with the parallelogram style, if I use a righthand thread heim on one side and a lefthand on the other I get the ability to adjust the position of the TTB beams forward and back a couple...
  11. Kiliona

Thanks for the input. The only reason I'm worrying so much about the radius arms is since I will need custom radius arms anyways to fit the dana 50 beams (not as tall as the dana 35) I figure I might as well improve the design if its simple enough to do so, especially since in this case I think...
  12. Kiliona

Question for anyone that is familiar with TTB design, or radius arm suspension design in general. On the stock radius arms the way it mounts to the axle is essentially a hard mount. Every aftermarket setup I've seen thus far it is this way as well. However the problem that I would think this...
  13. Kiliona

Quick update, and a question for anyone that has some suspension design experience. I was able to get the new input shaft for the transfer case so I can fit it to my transmission. The only issue was that there's a bearing INSIDE the input shaft and the new shaft had too small a diameter for...
  14. Kiliona

No worries at all! You're not the only person to suggest it so I just thought it'd be worth reiterating there. Both in the youtube comments and on 4btswaps people were saying to do this, and its a good suggestion!
  15. Kiliona

So I spent all weekend crawling through junkyards with no luck until I ultimately ended up finding a transfer case on craigslist (no bellhousing yet though). Only caveat was I had to pull it myself. The truck I was pulling it out of must've been a farm truck because it was covered in mud and...
Back