Recent content by kmarnes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by kmarnes

1. K

Throttle body / limp mode / ECU issue?

Okay it's officially fixed. My factory warranty expired one day after I dropped it off, though because it was diagnosed before that, I would have been fine anyway. They pulled the transmission and redid the seal. So if anyone wants the technical details, here's my service documentation. If...
  2. K

Driving the car around since the top-up, it feels like a new car. Loss of power was an extreme example, but another problem I struggled with since day one is clunky confused shifting. Like say I was going 50km/h and hit the gas... the car would often take a couple seconds to think about it --...
  3. K

Update: Ford diagnosed it today -- was able to repro the issue. Looks like my transmission fluid was short 4L... which seems like a lot! May be covered under warranty, but they topped it up and added some tracer material to it and want me to come back in a week. Doesn't seem like it's leaking...
  4. K

It's a 2017 Sport. It's definitely not an overheating issue as another frequent location for me is a popular crosswalk near my home on the way to drop my kid off at school. When I stop, I have a chance of limping. It's on a hill as well. I also have an extended warranty, so not concerned about...
  5. K

I don't really know what's wrong with my car, but it's happened since I bought it new -- but it was super rare like maybe once or twice per year. Always when going up hills when accelerating from a stop or from a slow speed. The steeper the hill, the easier it is to repro. Last couple weeks...
  6. K

Driver touch doesn't unlock rear doors

Yep, so this was it. I fixed this myself after opting out of a diagnosis at the dealer. Basically what I think happened was that my battery died while I was getting it detailed a few months back and jumpstarted it and things were fine. Fast forward to when I wrote my original post. The battery...
  7. K

I keep forgetting about that area. I was looking in the sync 3 touch panel in the center for settings. I'll give it a look later and see if there is a way to resolve it.
  8. K

Incidentally, I got a new battery, but it did not solve that issue. It's weird. I can't see any setting where this setup would be possible. Why would it work only on the passenger side but not the driver side?
  9. K

Considering ECU tune (livernois)

My 2017 Sport is out of warranty now though I have a 10 year extended and I'm well under par for mileage. Since the day I bought this car, I haven't had anything officially break down, yet. But I've always been unsatisfied with a terrible ECU programming. Harsh sudden downshifts, etc. Damn...
  10. K

Fob double unlock unlocks all doors. Passender side touch unlocks all doors. Unlock button inside driver door unlocks all doors. Driver side touch unlocks only front doors It wasn't always like this. It just started acting up recently. I perused various setting screens and couldn't find...
  11. K

Clunky shifting especially up hills

I'm scheduling service for this, but I'm not sure what the problem is. But here's the behavior that's exhibiting. Maybe someone can help diagnose this? I'm still under warranty, so should be all good: The car is still driving, usually quite fine, but frequently shifting while accelerating has...
  12. K

2017 Explorer Sport vs Platinum

I have a 17 Sport and when it detects you want to go, it goes... but I've never been happy with the sloppy/crude shifting (6-speed) and the poor ECU programming. There's also some turbo lag but also some harsh downshifting. Most of the time it is fine, especially from a stop. The time I really...
  13. K

OEM Or Aftermarket Brakes? Recommendations.

I've got 2.5 years on my 17 Sport and my OEM brakes are still like new. I'm averaging less than 1000km / 625m per month, but most of my driving is stop and go in-city driving. For such a big vehicle, the brakes are phenomenal and definitely don't feel the need to upgrade. I guess I'm officially...
  14. K

2016 / 19 Explorer Roof Racks - Totally Different

Oof, wow after seeing the removal thread, I just don't see it as worth it -- hassle + way uglier. Roof rails are totally fine, it's the cross bars that would effect wind noise and those can be easily removed. In any case, I have never had an issue with them on in highway driving situations.
  15. K

Snow mode rear end "sway"

I've been driving the 17' Sport for 2.5 years now and even with dedicated winters, have had some unexpected slips. I'm not happy with the slow traction control response. It's noticeably inferior to any of the German brands. The Explorer feels like the center mass high a little higher than normal...
Back