Recent content by luvmonterey | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by luvmonterey

1. L

Low Idle Speed and Cold Start Stalls

Thanks for the clarification. I replaced the IAC yesterday, and it seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for your assistance!
  2. L

Thank you Thanks for the information. When you say Intake Air Control, are you referring to the Idle Air Control Valve? I picked up a new Idle Air Control Valve today, but am holding off on installing it until I get clarification. If I have the wrong part, I will return it. Thanks again!
  3. L

My 1994 XLT is currently experiencing low idle speed at start up and frequently stalls unless I feather the accelerator pedal. Idle seems to be 400-500 RPM. Normally, with a cold start, the engine will idle at about 1100 RPM, and then adjust down to about 600 RPM after a minute or two...
  4. L

Side View Mirror Compatibility Between 1st and 2nd Gen Explorers?

Thanks very much for the information. Where did you source your mirrors? The big websites all seem to have them, but I’m weary of getting something cheap that won’t fit right or last. If I get mirrors without heat or the puddle lights, do you think they will plug directly into my stock...
  5. L

Side View Mirror Compatibility Between 1st and 2nd Gen Explorers?

The two side view mirrors on my '94 Explorer are suffering from the common flaking problem, and look terrible. I can paint or replace, and I am first opting for replacement. Used ones on the auction sites look to be in about the same condition as mine, so this is not an option. I haven't been...
  6. L

Low Idle and Stall at Start

Having a problem with my ‘94 Explorer at start-up. This doesn’t happen all the time, but is becoming significantly more frequent. Engine starts, but idle remains low, at about 400-500 rpm. When cold, it will sputter and die if I don’t keep my foot on the gas. Sometimes when this happens, the...
  7. L

‘94 Radiator Leak Below Area of Cap

Thanks. Where I live here in Ca, replacing the radiator myself will be much less expensive than taking it to a shop even for a small repair.
  8. L

Thanks. I will check to see if the tank is plastic.
  9. L

Something doesn’t feel right. Wheel Bearing?

I have removed my front rotors and re-packed the bearings in the past when replacing the ball joints, but haven’t done a bearing replacement before. Do both wheels need to be done at the same time? Do I need to remove and replace the inner and outer races? I’m not sure if the races are...
  10. L

Ah, so those are the lines that feed the transmission fluid cooler on the other side. That makes things more complicated and decreases my chances of being able to fix it I think. Any other thoughts?
  11. L

Something doesn’t feel right. Wheel Bearing?

for the past few weeks, something hasn’t felt right when I have had my foot on the accelerator of my ‘94 XLT. It’s hard to explain, but there is a slight vibration that just isn’t normal. It feels maybe a bit like friction or a very very slight grinding, sort of like something is not lubricated...
  12. L

Hi all. I have been chasing a slow radiator leak that is leaving small puddles under the truck. On the back of my radiator on the driver’s side, just below the neck/cap, is about a 1” nut with threaded connectors that attaches to a metal line. It appears that coolant is leaking from behind the...
  13. L

1st Gear Transmission Slip after Fluid Change and Leaking around Gasket

I received the new Dorman transmission pan with drain plug and finally got it installed last week. I replaced the filter and did install the o-rings this time! The issues with the first gear transmission slip are resolved, and it appears the missing o-rings were to blame. The new pan gasket...
  14. L

1st Gear Transmission Slip after Fluid Change and Leaking around Gasket

The big site sent me a box of brake lines instead of the new transmission pan, so I’m going to have to wait until after Thanksgiving to drop the old pan and replace the filter, o-rings, and gasket. Their records indicate that I was sent a trans pan, not brake lines, so when they get sent back...
Back