Recent content by mastermoose | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by mastermoose

1. M

Project Expo SAS long travel?

Drove down to FOA the other day to grab some coilovers and got all the mounts for them burned in, the front end will be sitting on its own weight here pretty soon.
  2. M

Cleaning off the frame rails wasn't easy even with a plasma. Went through about 30 cutoff wheels, 2 harbor freight angle grinders, and 5 flap disks. Started working on the rear brakes only to find out the 14 bolt I bought was one of the less desirable later year versions. :banghead: Thankfully...
  3. M

The fact that half the stuff wasn't there already made taking most of the front suspension out easy.
  4. M

Got her up on jack stands. Took 2 days to clean up the shop before I started. Like my custom jack stand-stands? :hammer:
  5. M

Yeah the coilovers are going to stick up out of the hood, sheet metal really isn't my thing anyways. I plan to strap it before anything starts to bind in the steering and I'll just run it like that until I build a ford 60 with hydro steering.
  6. M

Basically the inspiration for the build. If anyone has some good reading on the steering box and radius arm geometry they'd like to link, I'd greatly appreciate it.
  7. M

I'm gonna move the radiator to the rear to protect it since the roofs getting mostly cut off anyways. The goal is to drive this POS to Alaska in june, wish me luck :laugh:
  8. M

Scrapped the 3 link plan, going with radius arms and 18 inch coilovers. 1 1/4 ruffstuff heims frame end, 2" DOM links and ruffstuff bushings axle end. 7/8" heims and bushings for the y links.
  9. M

Kind of been slacking on the build, been busy with work and school. Should start soon though. Some design changes since the original plan; 14 bolt rear end with disc brake swap Dodge dana 60 front axle. I'm broke and it came with the rear end. Both axles have 4.10 gear currently and i have a...
  10. M

God Awful MPG

Yeah it's pretty awful having to hit the gas station everyday. Hopefully tracking down the vacuum leak and doing the intake gaskets helps
  11. M

God Awful MPG

I was really hoping you'd tell me I just had to hit something with a hammer or fix a wire or something, but this is simple enough too. Thanks for the advice! Ilol get it done this weekend.
  12. M

God Awful MPG

No codes. It does idle really low (~500 rpm) and kind of funny (it will rev itself up to like ~750 rpm and then drop back down to 500 on occasion) but I think that's from the vacuum leak
  13. M

God Awful MPG

So I have a 1998 explorer with the 4.0 sohc with 120k miles on 33s with I think 3.73 gears. I get like 7 miles to the gallon with city/ highway driving. I don't drive the truck that often but Jesus when I do its like burning money. I never regeared because I'm putting one tons in it anyways, but...
  14. M

It's a 4.0 sohc. Thinking about a 5.4 or 300 swap if it ever blows up. Axle parts should be delivered tomorrow :D
  15. M

It might be driver's side, it just depends on clearance. Thinking about it now, it will probably have to be driver's side because the axle side panhard mount will be on the passenger side. Does anyone have any info about putting a first gen explorer steering box on a second gen? How the power...
Back