Recent content by mdisalvo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by mdisalvo

1. M

Digital AC-once set over 60 degrees air is not cold

I have the digital AC controls in my 04 explorer. The AC still blows cold, but if i adjust the temp setting to go over 60 (ie 65 or higher) it typically will turn the air warm, almost like it's on heat. Any idea what would cause that issue?
  2. M

Replacing AC Clutch without removing compressor?

I replaced the clutch hub successfully and it seems to have solved the loud chirp when running the AC. I measured the gap before I removed it and it was actually right within spec at .01". When I pulled it off you could tell the back of the plate was quite worn out when compared to the new...
  3. M

Will do-I ordered the hub, will report back in a week or so once it arrives and I've swapped it out.
  4. M

I've been running it very sparingly for the past couple years now and the chirp has gotten pretty loud, I figured I'd do some preventative maintenance and see if I couldn't fix it on my own since I've got some free time lately. Definitely trying to avoid replacing the entire condensor. If the...
  5. M

Could I potentially replace the entire assembly, then go get it filled with freon at an AC shop?
  6. M

That's kind of what I was thinking I would do. Since the external hub is simple to swap out without removing the fan/fan shroud I am going to replace it with a Motorcraft part first, shim it to the right specs, and see if that fixes it. If not I'll take it off again and get the clutch pulley...
  7. M

Thank you for the info. Aren't there other steps involving the old freon and then charging the new unit up with freon? I assumed that's a fairly involved process.
  8. M

When running heat or AC I've heard my clutch engaging for a while now, with a loud chirp each time it engages. It's gotten worse though, to a degree that I'm afraid it's going to crap out on me soon and leave me stranded. I don't want to take the entire compressor out because I don't have the...
  9. M

Cracked Sun Visor Fix-Metal Bracket Available

I'm not sure if this has been posted here before or not but a common problem I'm sure most of you have is the cracked/broken plastic the sun visor mounts to on these cars. Mine finally crapped out after being held together for several years with JB Weld, and I discovered there is a fix it part...
  10. M

Retaining Steering Wheel Controls on Aftermarket Head Unit in 04 EB w DVD

I have an 04 EB with the rear DVD player that I never use. Additionally, the rear DVD mysteriously stopped working recently. I'd like to replace the 6 disc changer with an android style unit with bluetooth and also keep the steering wheel control functionality. I no longer care about the rear...
  11. M

Factory Rear DVD W/Aftermarket Head Unit

Piggybacking on this thread instead of starting a new one so I hope that's alright. I have an 04 EB with the factory DVD which mysteriously quit on me recently. I don't care to keep the DVD working anymore, but I do want to keep the steering wheel control functionality and replace my stock 6...
  12. M

Suspension replaced and can still feel small bumps-what else needs replaced?

They were the monroe quick struts. I will check the tire pressure tonight.
  13. M

Suspension replaced and can still feel small bumps-what else needs replaced?

I just had quite a bit of work done on my 04 explorer...new struts, front upper and lower control arms with ball joints, sway bar bushings, tires, and brakes. The struts are working well for larger bumps but I can still feel quite a bit of smaller things like cracks in the road, lane markers...
  14. M

High Pitched AC Whine on 04 explorer-mostly at higher RPM

Well I figured it out...this is going to go down as one of the easiest fixes on here of all time. My friend had closed his vent by the window about 95% just leaving enough of it open to create a whistle noise. Since I have this thread started I do want to ask about the AC taking longer to...
  15. M

High Pitched AC Whine on 04 explorer-mostly at higher RPM

Yea they do blow strong, I removed the blend door about 5 years ago if it matters.
Back